Pes Planus and Peroneus Longus strained

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliNasr211

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading foot type predisposing factors for plantar fasciatis and I saw it was written that in pes planus the peroneus longus tendon more likely strains. I'm not quite sure how pes planus causes peroneus longus strain. Can someone explain it to me please.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are thinking about a planus foot due to a tarsal coalition, patients might demonstrate periodic spasm of the peroneal tendons because of attempted inversion against relatively shortened peroneal tendons. The shortening occurs from chronic and rigid valgus of the hindfoot. The peroneal tendons elicit a protective mechanism of contracting to minimize pain specifically at the rigid subtalar joint, and thus they might go into spasm because of the length deficit. (Mann)

Is there peroneal strain in a flexible pes planus deformity? There may be but not to the extent of the strain due to a rigid deformity.

I'll look through the literature and see if I can find something about flexible deformities and peroneal strain.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

If you are thinking about a planus foot due to a tarsal coalition, patients might demonstrate periodic spasm of the peroneal tendons because of attempted inversion against relatively shortened peroneal tendons. The shortening occurs from chronic and rigid valgus of the hindfoot. The peroneal tendons elicit a protective mechanism of contracting to minimize pain specifically at the rigid subtalar joint, and thus they might go into spasm because of the length deficit. (Mann)

Is there peroneal strain in a flexible pes planus deformity? There may be but not to the extent of the strain due to a rigid deformity.

I'll look through the literature and see if I can find something about flexible deformities and peroneal strain.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Thank you very much. Please let me know if you find more information. I also thought due to 1st ray dorsiflexion in a pes planus foot, the peronous longus is under more stretch and possible more strain.