Pet Vet. Scary!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SillyFilly

Tennessee CVM 2012!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, don't worry, we're all useless as future vets. You can just check this website, it'll save you lots of money in debt. ;)

http://www.petside.com/pet-vet

Scary!

(Can you tell I am punchy from 3rd shift blues? Haha)

Members don't see this ad.

And did anybody notice that "sudden death" is another symptom they list as well? Its under behavioral-actions. I found this one funny. They really cover the whole spectrum... no need for vets, pathologists, or pet-shrinks!

So, I'm planning on taking my 16 yo kitty to the vet because she hasn't been eating, but I thought I'd see what the "Pet Vet" could tell me...

So, my kitty could have heartworm, be FIV+ or be shy/scared of people (amongst other things)!!!!!

Wow this is a terrible website:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Terrible website indeed....One of my cats has chronic ear issues--polyps that have narrowed his canals and resulted in a hematoma in one from all the head shaking, etc. According to this site, his itchy ears, ear discharge, head shaking and ear twitching can only mean one thing: ear mites. (And not even a mention of bacteria or yeast anywhere!)

If only it were that easy....

Wow... I just looked at the site. This takes "client internet research" to a whole new low. We have clients at my hospital that self-treat already (one feeds her dog nothing but raw meat and crushed eggshells, another that swears an OVH is the devil and will cause his dog's lifespan to be cut in half - all because they did internet research). The sad thing is this site will look "official" to owners...sigh:(

Did anyone else see the "Ask Dr. Lauren" box on the mid-right? Wonder who Dr. Lauren is, and how she (or any veterinarian) can support this site. I'm tempted to write in to the Q&A, although I doubt it's actually a vet reading the messages.

I just put in sneezing for a cat and all that came up was Herpes virus...

"Doctor, I don't know where you went to vet school, but I don't know anything about this upper respiratory infection you're talking about. My cat has Herpes, and that's THAT!"

:lol:

Okay, I really shouldn't be laughing about this. It's more terrible than funny. But I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

If my cat collapses...she has heartworm. It couldn't be anything else at all...definitive diagnosis is heartworm!

My dog, since he barks excessively, might have the problems of (get ready....) excessive barking. Given his other symptoms he may also have congestive heart failure and distemper. Bull! He's recently had radiographs and vaccinations, so I know it can't be either of those. And his real problem, diagnosed by a veterinarian (!!!), is urethral problems and (suspected) microvascular displasia. They don't even have any symptoms appropriate for my other dog's problem, shoulder arthritis. Yeah, this site is helpful, NOT!

:laugh:

Well guys, your dog that goes blind has distemper. The end.

How can the Iams brand put their logo here?? :confused:

That's even worse than webmd.com who says the headaches i get when i'm hungry could be anything from dehydration, to rhythmic disturbances to benzodiazapenes abuse...yeah ok!

...and you know its only going to be those crazy pet owners that look into it...cause the sane ones would know its rediculous :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for posting the link to that site, I have found my ticket through vet school:laugh:

I put in some of our dobie's symptoms from before we discovered his tumor (well, all except weight loss, since that wasn't an option) - came up with distemper, congestive heart failure, hip displasia, or house soiling.

Wow, that's .... horrible isn't even the right word. Outrageous, atrocious, appalling ... something along those lines.

There is a better site that we are actually encouraged to use in class. Hmm, for blindess there's 183 possible diagnoses instead of one. :laugh: If anything it tells the client there's tons of things it could be so go to the vet! But if you're struggling to come up with differentials as a vet student it is mighty helpful. Anyway, if you want to check it out, it's http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/Consult.asp.

Wow.... my dog had an FHO. Come to find out he really didn't need one... all he had was DISTEMPER!! :idea:

So I clicked on a bunch of "symptoms" that we desire in Schutzhund sport. Apparently, there is no hope for my puppy, since he has: Aggression to visitors in the home; Flea infestation; Barking, excessive; chocolate poisoning; chewing, destructive; skin allergy (canine); and jumping up on people (canine).

Note to self: Stop feeding puppy chocolate, start using frontline plus, give puppy benedryl, stop encouraging puppy to play with bite tug, stop giving chewie toys, stop encouraging older dog to 'HIT' unwanted visitors.

*phew* at least sniffing is still ok, I mean, we wouldn't want O'nut's dog to fail the tracking phase of the SchH trial.

Yeah, I just picked a random case I'd seen (Osteosarcoma in the front leg) and put in limping/pain, etc. Evidently if your dog limps, he or she has hip displaysia. No other possibilities, it's hip displaysia.

I shouldn't be QUITE so harsh -- they did list differentials. I mean, Osteosarc. wasn't among the differentials, but at least they realized limping might POSSIBLY be something else. :)

I put in symptoms for a blocked cat and it said that it was FUS and that it would probably resolve on its own within 4-7 days...I mean I guess thats great and all since by resolving they mean dying...

So I clicked on a bunch of "symptoms" that we desire in Schutzhund sport. Apparently, there is no hope for my puppy, since he has: Aggression to visitors in the home; Flea infestation; Barking, excessive; chocolate poisoning; chewing, destructive; skin allergy (canine); and jumping up on people (canine).

Note to self: Stop feeding puppy chocolate, start using frontline plus, give puppy benedryl, stop encouraging puppy to play with bite tug, stop giving chewie toys, stop encouraging older dog to 'HIT' unwanted visitors.

*phew* at least sniffing is still ok, I mean, we wouldn't want O'nut's dog to fail the tracking phase of the SchH trial.

Hey Ortho, I didn't know you did Schutzhund! I dabbled in it for a little over a year with (low drive) Malinois/GSD. He enjoyed tracking the best and he enjoyed running the AD. Our local club folded and I don't have the time or gas money to the nearest club with my very high drive Malinois. Wish they had a ring sport club in my state! That'd be even more fun. :cool:

Oh man, has anyone looked at the diagnosis for "malformation of teeth"? Distemper, period.
I mean, it couldn't possibly be that the dog was poorly bred or just happens to have incorrect jaw alignment or teeth, nope. Distemper.
It appears that their diagnosis is nearly always "distemper". Because we all know distemper causes every problem in canines. :rolleyes:

Because we all know distemper causes every problem in canines. :rolleyes:

Thank god they have a vaccine for it, then. :D

I'll have to remember to show this site to Dr. M. Maybe we can diagnose FOR HER! :D

Stupid sites like that should be shut down for practicing without a liscense!