Pet Vet. Scary!

mistifical

VMRCVM 2012
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
MD/VA
  1. Veterinary Student
    And did anybody notice that "sudden death" is another symptom they list as well? Its under behavioral-actions. I found this one funny. They really cover the whole spectrum... no need for vets, pathologists, or pet-shrinks!

Rebeki

Wisconsin SVM c/o 2012
    10+ Year Member
    Apr 25, 2007
    Long Island, NY/Madison, WI
    1. Veterinary Student
      So, I'm planning on taking my 16 yo kitty to the vet because she hasn't been eating, but I thought I'd see what the "Pet Vet" could tell me...

So, my kitty could have heartworm, be FIV+ or be shy/scared of people (amongst other things)!!!!!

Wow this is a terrible website:eek:

About the Ads

guppy73

Tufts V'13!
      10+ Year Member
      Mar 5, 2008
      NH
      1. Veterinary Student
        Terrible website indeed....One of my cats has chronic ear issues--polyps that have narrowed his canals and resulted in a hematoma in one from all the head shaking, etc. According to this site, his itchy ears, ear discharge, head shaking and ear twitching can only mean one thing: ear mites. (And not even a mention of bacteria or yeast anywhere!)

If only it were that easy....

Wolf Vet

MSU CVM c/o 2012
        10+ Year Member
        Apr 2, 2008
        Michigan (but am a California girl at heart)
        1. Veterinary Student
          Wow... I just looked at the site. This takes "client internet research" to a whole new low. We have clients at my hospital that self-treat already (one feeds her dog nothing but raw meat and crushed eggshells, another that swears an OVH is the devil and will cause his dog's lifespan to be cut in half - all because they did internet research). The sad thing is this site will look "official" to owners...sigh:(

clawsbeatskin

10+ Year Member
          Feb 26, 2007
          1. Veterinary Student
            Did anyone else see the "Ask Dr. Lauren" box on the mid-right? Wonder who Dr. Lauren is, and how she (or any veterinarian) can support this site. I'm tempted to write in to the Q&A, although I doubt it's actually a vet reading the messages.

zpinkpanther

Still searching...
            10+ Year Member
            Dec 3, 2007
            Baltimore
            1. Other Health Professions Student
              I just put in sneezing for a cat and all that came up was Herpes virus...

"Doctor, I don't know where you went to vet school, but I don't know anything about this upper respiratory infection you're talking about. My cat has Herpes, and that's THAT!"

:lol:

Okay, I really shouldn't be laughing about this. It's more terrible than funny. But I couldn't resist. :rolleyes:

pressmom

Third year!
              10+ Year Member
              Apr 4, 2007
              1. Veterinary Student
                My dog, since he barks excessively, might have the problems of (get ready....) excessive barking. Given his other symptoms he may also have congestive heart failure and distemper. Bull! He's recently had radiographs and vaccinations, so I know it can't be either of those. And his real problem, diagnosed by a veterinarian (!!!), is urethral problems and (suspected) microvascular displasia. They don't even have any symptoms appropriate for my other dog's problem, shoulder arthritis. Yeah, this site is helpful, NOT!

CalpardNY

UIUC CVM c/o 2012
                10+ Year Member
                Jan 23, 2008
                1. Pre-Veterinary
                  That's even worse than webmd.com who says the headaches i get when i'm hungry could be anything from dehydration, to rhythmic disturbances to benzodiazapenes abuse...yeah ok!

...and you know its only going to be those crazy pet owners that look into it...cause the sane ones would know its rediculous :p

About the Ads

HeartSong

Okstate 2010
                  10+ Year Member
                  5+ Year Member
                  Jul 1, 2004
                  Oklahoma
                  1. Veterinary Student
                    Wow, that's .... horrible isn't even the right word. Outrageous, atrocious, appalling ... something along those lines.

There is a better site that we are actually encouraged to use in class. Hmm, for blindess there's 183 possible diagnoses instead of one. :laugh: If anything it tells the client there's tons of things it could be so go to the vet! But if you're struggling to come up with differentials as a vet student it is mighty helpful. Anyway, if you want to check it out, it's http://www.vet.cornell.edu/consultant/Consult.asp.

Orthonut

Garryowen
                    10+ Year Member
                    5+ Year Member
                    Feb 5, 2006
                    Whisky Tango Foxtrot? Over.
                    1. Veterinary Student
                      So I clicked on a bunch of "symptoms" that we desire in Schutzhund sport. Apparently, there is no hope for my puppy, since he has: Aggression to visitors in the home; Flea infestation; Barking, excessive; chocolate poisoning; chewing, destructive; skin allergy (canine); and jumping up on people (canine).

Note to self: Stop feeding puppy chocolate, start using frontline plus, give puppy benedryl, stop encouraging puppy to play with bite tug, stop giving chewie toys, stop encouraging older dog to 'HIT' unwanted visitors.

*phew* at least sniffing is still ok, I mean, we wouldn't want O'nut's dog to fail the tracking phase of the SchH trial.

Serendipity4

U of MN Class of 2011
                      10+ Year Member
                      Mar 8, 2007
                      1. Veterinary Student
                        Yeah, I just picked a random case I'd seen (Osteosarcoma in the front leg) and put in limping/pain, etc. Evidently if your dog limps, he or she has hip displaysia. No other possibilities, it's hip displaysia.

I shouldn't be QUITE so harsh -- they did list differentials. I mean, Osteosarc. wasn't among the differentials, but at least they realized limping might POSSIBLY be something else. :)

Electrophile

Working Dog Doc
                        10+ Year Member
                        7+ Year Member
                        Sep 1, 2007
                        Columbia, Missouri
                        1. Veterinarian
                          So I clicked on a bunch of "symptoms" that we desire in Schutzhund sport. Apparently, there is no hope for my puppy, since he has: Aggression to visitors in the home; Flea infestation; Barking, excessive; chocolate poisoning; chewing, destructive; skin allergy (canine); and jumping up on people (canine).

Note to self: Stop feeding puppy chocolate, start using frontline plus, give puppy benedryl, stop encouraging puppy to play with bite tug, stop giving chewie toys, stop encouraging older dog to 'HIT' unwanted visitors.

*phew* at least sniffing is still ok, I mean, we wouldn't want O'nut's dog to fail the tracking phase of the SchH trial.

Hey Ortho, I didn't know you did Schutzhund! I dabbled in it for a little over a year with (low drive) Malinois/GSD. He enjoyed tracking the best and he enjoyed running the AD. Our local club folded and I don't have the time or gas money to the nearest club with my very high drive Malinois. Wish they had a ring sport club in my state! That'd be even more fun. :cool:

Steelmagghia

TAMU CVM Class of 2012
                          10+ Year Member
                          Feb 28, 2008
                          Texas
                          1. Pre-Veterinary
                            Oh man, has anyone looked at the diagnosis for "malformation of teeth"? Distemper, period.
                            I mean, it couldn't possibly be that the dog was poorly bred or just happens to have incorrect jaw alignment or teeth, nope. Distemper.
                            It appears that their diagnosis is nearly always "distemper". Because we all know distemper causes every problem in canines. :rolleyes:

About the Ads
                            This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                            7. This thread is locked.