Pets and Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kamrute

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many ppl have pets that will be attending d- school...i was thinking about getting a dog, but i'm wondering if that's a good idea..with the workload and all.

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about that too, but I decided against it. I figure there will be many times when I want to stay late at school or in the library, and I don't want the fact that I have to go home and walk my dog to be the reason why I can't stay after to do some work. Also, how fair would it be to leave a dog alone all day long every day? I think I can handle waiting a few years before I take on yet ANOTHER responsibility. In the mean time, I think I'll just get a roommate instead. :)

sunphish said:
In the mean time, I think I'll just get a roommate instead. :)

you're gonna have to walk the roommate, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two dogs and they are like kids to me. Unfortunately, they will be living with my husband. I will probably get a new cat and start a micro reef aquarium. I'm still going to miss my dogs (and my husband) very, very much though. :(

say no to cats. cats are evil and carry parasitic gastric worms on their nose.

mochafreak said:
I have two dogs and they are like kids to me. Unfortunately, they will be living with my husband. I will probably get a new cat and start a micro reef aquarium. I'm still going to miss my dogs (and my husband) very, very much though. :(

so he's not going to move with you?

oldboy said:

F*ck the cat and fish, she should just get a boyfriend.

oldboy said:

No...he's a professor, so he can't just get a job anywhere.

polarnut said:
you're gonna have to walk the roommate, too.

And dude, my college roommate took 3 MONTHS to get litterbox-trained. And along with the flea baths and getting sick on the rug...it's just a headache I would avoid altogether.

my brother is in med school and he somehow manages to take care of our dogs.
i'm in undergrad, i feel like i don't have enough time for my dog. i'd rather spend time w/ gf if i did.

however, my dog seems to be live and kickin along w/ my beta fish even though i'm never home anymore.

i really appreciate the companionship that my dog gives when i'm tired and down.
it was definitely hard when i first brought her home and she made messed of the house esp. when she was teething.

would i do it again? probably not. but i wouldn't give up my dog for any other dogs/pets in the world.

I have been wondering about the dog thing too... but too late for me... I have a beautiful golden retriever puppy who I love dearly and I think he will help get me through the tough days. I have to walk him, which will be a great break from studying... and he is so loving and affectionate that he really keeps me from getting lonely. There is no way I am giving up my puppy, so I am sure I'll find a way to make it work.

Members don't see this ad :)
polarnut said:
say no to cats. cats are evil and carry parasitic gastric worms on their nose.
HAHAHAHAHAH!!! i AGREEE!!! they are EVIL!!!!

mitechgrl said:
I have been wondering about the dog thing too... but too late for me... I have a beautiful golden retriever puppy who I love dearly and I think he will help get me through the tough days. I have to walk him, which will be a great break from studying... and he is so loving and affectionate that he really keeps me from getting lonely. There is no way I am giving up my puppy, so I am sure I'll find a way to make it work.

Urrrgh, you're making me want to get a dog again...(yes, cats are evil...and soft and furry).

Kamrute said:
I was just wondering how many ppl have pets that will be attending d- school...i was thinking about getting a dog, but i'm wondering if that's a good idea..with the workload and all.

A puppy may not be a great idea. Shelters like your local SPCA, or animal rescues will have older, trained dogs that will not be as high maintenance. I love my dog and cats. They are essential companions. There is nothing like coming home from a long day and ALWAYS having someone excited to see you. :)

sunphish said:
I was thinking about that too, but I decided against it. I figure there will be many times when I want to stay late at school or in the library, and I don't want the fact that I have to go home and walk my dog to be the reason why I can't stay after to do some work. Also, how fair would it be to leave a dog alone all day long every day? I think I can handle waiting a few years before I take on yet ANOTHER responsibility. In the mean time, I think I'll just get a roommate instead. :)

Original poster, follow this advice. ^^^ But if you live 5 mins from school, like I do, it would be a whole different story. So, don't get a pet unless you can give it the attention it deserves.

mochafreak said:

get a parrot

IWuvTeef said:
if you live 5 mins from school, like I do, ....

where do you live?? I am thinking of getting a studio at Riley. what do you think?

I would recommend getting the dog, on the condition that you will get married and have kids soon as well ... that way they can lend a hand with the dog when you're pulling long days in school.

Comet208 said:
where do you live?? I am thinking of getting a studio at Riley. what do you think?

I have friends who live in Riley in one bedroom apartments. They are roomy for one person. The parking there is gated too, though I don't know if it really keeps people out. They also have a gym and a laundry facility. Are you gonna come to IU?

IWuvTeef said:
I have friends who live in Riley in one bedroom apartments. They are roomy for one person. The parking there is gated too, though I don't know if it really keeps people out. They also have a gym and a laundry facility. Are you gonna come to IU?

Would :love: to!

mochafreak said:

:oops:

Kamrute said:

I am going to Dental School with a four year old and a dog :laugh: I guess it depends on how important it is to you to have a pet. They can be a great stress reliever, but also a stressor!

IWuvTeef said:

Are there plenty of places in Indy to live and have a dog? Do you know if many students get condos\houses there?

Indiana 2010

Kamrute said:

I have a dog and an "evil" cat and I love them both more than anything. Still, I'm planning to ship them off to my mom's house for at least my first year. From what I hear about the stress of dental school, I just don't think I'll have the time to spend with them. I don't want to be feeling guilty every time I want to stay late at school, or have him whimpering at me to go out for a walk when I'm stressed out and studying.

Also, you have to consider the extra cost of getting a place to live with a yard. A dog's gotta have a doggie door if he's alone during the day. Why not wait until you've started school and see what your life is like before you make the decision? It's a big responsibility. Obviously you can just return it if it doesn't work out.

Oh, and a puppy? Don't even think about it. It's a full-time job for at least six months if you want him trained not to pee all over your house and eat your shoes.