Pets

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prospectivestudent16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any current students who have dogs with them in optometry school?

I have a small emotional support dog and I can't decide if it's a good idea to brig her with me to school or not.

It would obviously help my panic attacks and anxiety to have her at school with me, but I don't want her to be home alone all day.

Are there enough breaks in the day to go take her on a walk and play with her for a bit? Or should I leave her at home with my parents?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on where you go to school and how close you live to campus, among other things I'm sure.

I have a dog with me, and unfortunately he is at home a lot of the time by himself, but I have enough breaks that allow me to go home and spend time with him. He goes running with me and I try to make sure he gets enough mental stimulation. If you can find pet-friendly housing close to the school, it might be a big help for you during the stressful times. It also matters what kind of dog you have, some don't do well when left alone.

Reactions: 1 user
are there any current students who have dogs with them in optometry school?

I have a small emotional support dog and I can't decide if it's a good idea to brig her with me to school or not.

It would obviously help my panic attacks and anxiety to have her at school with me, but I don't want her to be home alone all day.

Are there enough breaks in the day to go take her on a walk and play with her for a bit? Or should I leave her at home with my parents?

I think you should definitely bring her with you to school.
School is not 24/7. There will be days where you'll be in lectures/lab/clinics for hours, but there are usually gaps in the schedule.
What'd you use to do in high school/college?

I think the benefits far outweigh the cons

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was very involved in high school but I was able to rely on my family to keep the dog preoccupied, and in college all my roommates had different schedules so someone was always home with her. I just don't know if things will be different in optometry school since we all pretty much have the same schedule