Apr 11, 2015
are there any current students who have dogs with them in optometry school?

I have a small emotional support dog and I can't decide if it's a good idea to brig her with me to school or not.

It would obviously help my panic attacks and anxiety to have her at school with me, but I don't want her to be home alone all day.

Are there enough breaks in the day to go take her on a walk and play with her for a bit? Or should I leave her at home with my parents?

Snakedoctor1

5+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2014
Status
Optometrist
It depends on where you go to school and how close you live to campus, among other things I'm sure.

I have a dog with me, and unfortunately he is at home a lot of the time by himself, but I have enough breaks that allow me to go home and spend time with him. He goes running with me and I try to make sure he gets enough mental stimulation. If you can find pet-friendly housing close to the school, it might be a big help for you during the stressful times. It also matters what kind of dog you have, some don't do well when left alone.

OpticalBlackOut

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
Status
Optometrist
are there any current students who have dogs with them in optometry school?

I have a small emotional support dog and I can't decide if it's a good idea to brig her with me to school or not.

It would obviously help my panic attacks and anxiety to have her at school with me, but I don't want her to be home alone all day.

Are there enough breaks in the day to go take her on a walk and play with her for a bit? Or should I leave her at home with my parents?
I think you should definitely bring her with you to school.
School is not 24/7. There will be days where you'll be in lectures/lab/clinics for hours, but there are usually gaps in the schedule.
What'd you use to do in high school/college?

I think the benefits far outweigh the cons

OP
P
Apr 11, 2015
I was very involved in high school but I was able to rely on my family to keep the dog preoccupied, and in college all my roommates had different schedules so someone was always home with her. I just don't know if things will be different in optometry school since we all pretty much have the same schedule