Pets?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leia05

SpunkyToothDr
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this may sound like a silly question to some of you out there, but I'm curious. Do many of you have pets while you're in dental school? I already have a really sweet dog, but my dad's told me that I can't take her because he'd miss her too much (that's his "granddog"). I'm going to miss having a loving, furry critter waiting for me at home so I'm considering getting a cat when I get settled in down at Jackson. Cats don't require as much space/yard as dogs, and I've always had a special place in my heart for them. How difficult is it having a pet while in school? What kind of animal do you own? Thanks! :D

Members don't see this ad.

I'm technically a dog person, but I got a cat at the end of September. He's great and not too much work. I would definitely encourage it.

lets just say cats run the other way when they see me! Dogs on the other hand there great when there not crappin on your floor or pissing on everything to mark the territory.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait to see how it goes and if you have time both for regular care or emergency care (i spent every day for couple weeks of last spring quarter catching the 1.5 hour bus or driving 45 mins to my parent's home and running to the vet when my dog was sick and ultimately put down :( ) just think about the good and the bad that comes with a pet. i live with two roommates now and we have a small dog that i wish we didn't because the apartment smells like pee and we don't give her as much attention as she deserves, i couldn't imagine having a dog on my own. a cat may be better (but im allergic) and they have accidents and ruin furniture too. best of luck in your decision :)

Hi i'm not in dental school but I am a second year med student. I got two kittens at the beginning of the year and they are FANTASTIC. they are not that much work at all, and they don't mind when you have more important stuff you need to do like study and stuff. even so, my kittens are super nice and affectionate with me and love to play and cuddle. they cheer me up whenever i get home and they're great companions especially for a stressful time like grad school.

a kitten or two would be a good choice, especially if you are an animal person!

kittens sound wonderful to me :)

Can anyone say Chia pet...

Whats not to love !

Eeeeww... cats are gross. Plus, I'm allergic. I have a little dog that's really nice and well trained..but she's a lot of work. My husband walks her 3 times a day, so unless you have someone to help you care for the dog, I wouldn't recommend getting one.

I would get something like a hamster -- they're cute, warm, and fuzzy, and don't take a lot of work. I had one during college, and thought she was great. The only thing is that she only lived 7 months, and when she died, I was in the middle of exam period and I could NOT deal with her death. It was horrible.

I have guinea pigs because I'm allergic to cats, and won't have enough time to take care of a dog. They don't require as much upkeep as a dog (probably equivalent to a cat), and they don't need as much attention as long as you keep them in pairs or more. They're cute as hamsters, but they live longer (as long as 7 years). Vet bills can run as high as a cat or dog's if they get sick though.

cats are gross but you like hamsters? whatever... anyways... i have 2 fish tanks a saltwater reef and a freshwater planted tank - they are a great hobby but take up so much time and expense that i wish i had gone for something like a cat instead. not that cats are cheap, because you still have food and vet bills, but at least timewise they don't take as much time as other pets.

If you are going to get a dog, it'd probably be best to wait until after the first couple years. I got one in my third year of dental school, and I had plenty of time to train him. If you have the time to train them, they don't pee in the house. When a dog craps and pees inside, it's the owner's fault...

Biogirl361 said:
cats are gross but you like hamsters? whatever... anyways... i have 2 fish tanks a saltwater reef and a freshwater planted tank - they are a great hobby but take up so much time and expense that i wish i had gone for something like a cat instead. not that cats are cheap, because you still have food and vet bills, but at least timewise they don't take as much time as other pets.
What size reef tank do you have......I have been debating whether or not to take a nano with me or not. I have a crap load of corals and I don't want to just give them all away but I also don't want to bring a huge hassel with me either (I know that you know what I'm talking about). I thought I had it solved when I got a nano cube but that thing is worthless....I already lost both my fans and a ballast (I haven't even had it for a year)!

geckel said:
What size reef tank do you have......I have been debating whether or not to take a nano with me or not. I have a crap load of corals and I don't want to just give them all away but I also don't want to bring a huge hassel with me either (I know that you know what I'm talking about). I thought I had it solved when I got a nano cube but that thing is worthless....I already lost both my fans and a ballast (I haven't even had it for a year)!

hey,
I have a 37 gallon oceanic cube - i just started it about 8 months ago. between topping off the water every couple days, doing different water tests, dosing things, and dealing with miscellaneous startup and equipment problems (current problem - the suction cups on my PH suck so they keep falling into the sand and blowing sand everywhere), I've been toying with the idea of taking it down because it just takes too much effort (and $$). I considered getting a nanocube thinking that would be a good compromise, but they are expensive and i heard the glass and other parts break easily, like you were saying. I'll probably just end up sticking it out with my 37 cube. keeping a nano is definitly doable during dental school, its just a lot more hassle than a cat or hamster (but you already knew that!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you eat healthy? Lots of fruits and veggies? Get a tortoise!

Yeah, you probably think I'm weird but my wife got one 3 years ago, a red-footed tortoise. He is awesome, only 5 inches right now and 3 years old, they get 18 inches but it takes a while. He is super easy to maintain, get a rubbermain container that slides under the bed (dont slide the tortoise there but its a good height for air circulation), a heat lamp, a pie dish for water and some mulch, and a small pot or something for him to hide in (we use washcloths, he likes to lay on top and bury himself underneath them). That's it!

We feed him every other day, tomato, lettace, strawberries, any fruit or veggie except bananas (its like crack to them, I've been told to stay away). He's trained so when we sit on the couch he comes to the corner of his cage and lets us pet him. We take him out just about everyday and let him run around the apt (never messes!) He's super low maintaince but still is gives a lot of love and personality!! I know I probably sound weird.

I've got a snake. He's very sociable and loves attention. My girlfriend can't get enough of him. I call him Pedro...

OMFSCardsFan said:
I've got a snake. He's very sociable and loves attention. My girlfriend can't get enough of him. I call him Pedro...

My wife had a snake once... a mouse too... needless to say that didn't work out too well.

I have an indoor cat and he wants tons of attention. I have to play with him several times everyday or else he'll cause lots of trouble (jump on the bed when I'm sleeping, scratch on the carpet, sit on the keyboard when I'm trying to type, etc.) Also, some apartments don't allow pets, so that may be something that you have to consider. I'm more of a dog person but my cat was abandoned in front of my apartment at one week old. After bottle-feeding and taking care of him, I got attached and fell in love with the fuzz ball....

one week... awww :( that was nice of you to take him in :thumbup: :) yeah my cat requires someone to pay attention to him for a while each day or he will meow loudly at you until you stop whatever your doing and hang out with him. it's kind of cute though and anyone who has a pet should give it a bit of attention each day anyway.

Biogirl361 said:
one week... awww :( that was nice of you to take him in :thumbup: :) yeah my cat requires someone to pay attention to him for a while each day or he will meow loudly at you until you stop whatever your doing and hang out with him. it's kind of cute though and anyone who has a pet should give it a bit of attention each day anyway.

I totally agree (about spending time with your pets). My cat would literally sit on my books/notes until I play with him. Oh, and he insists on drinking water from the bathroom faucet - so he yowls until I go and turn on the water for him...cats!

I have a boyfriend in ATL (I live in Kansas City) and parents in New York, so I travel quite a bit. I had dogs when I lived at home and miss that, so I am planning to get a small one this summer. I wanted more of a sporting dog (golden retreiver, etc) but I need something small enough that can sit in a little bag on my lap in the airplane, and will find an apartment amusing. Larger dogs get bored in such confined living spaces. Cats aren't too bad an idea either, but I'm allergic.

I recommend a small dog, and with new advances in the animal industry you'll learn that you don't really have to walk them. Dogs can be litter trained too!!

Grasshoper said:
I recommend a small dog, and with new advances in the animal industry you'll learn that you don't really have to walk them. Dogs can be litter trained too!![/QUO

WTF??

Give me any gun and any dog/cat and I'll gladly shoot it in the head. :smuggrin:
Sorry to disturb some of the purist pet owners :D
I'm with hockey dentist on this one - chia pet. Or a trap door spider that eats mice...those are awesome. :D

I just don't understand the whole dog licks butt then licks my face or ice cream cone. Then it craps on my new carpet. The house smells even if the dog lives in the garage (it does, you're just used to it.) Then you get worms and cat scratch fever and they dogs bark incessently. yuck.

[/rant] :thumbup:

1992Corolla said:
Give me any gun and any dog/cat and I'll gladly shoot it in the head. :smuggrin:
Sorry to disturb some of the purist pet owners :D
I'm with hockey dentist on this one - chia pet. Or a trap door spider that eats mice...those are awesome. :D

I just don't understand the whole dog licks butt then licks my face or ice cream cone. Then it craps on my new carpet. The house smells even if the dog lives in the garage (it does, you're just used to it.) Then you get worms and cat scratch fever and they dogs bark incessently. yuck.

[/rant] :thumbup:
Of course, two kids isn't all that much better a deal if you ask me. ;)

aphistis said:
Of course, two kids isn't all that much better a deal if you ask me. ;)

Tell me about it...
at least they don't lick their butts.

I have a leopard gecko. I've had her for about 2 years. I somehow have to get her from Illinois to Boston safely. I could ship her, but I think I'm just going to have to take her in the car. Meaning, I have to drive there atleast once. Btw, leopard geckos are great pets. Nocturnal, so while I'm busy in class during the day, she sleeps. Awake when I get home.

I have 2 cats. They're easy to take care of because they keep each other company while I'm in school. I just feed them twice a day, scoop the litter box after school, and cuddle them during study breaks. It's fun to watch them play fight when I'm studying. :)