PGY-1 experience thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmallBird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the idea of posting my experience as a PGY-1, with the hope that this will be helpful to next years batch of applicants (who are probably only a few months a way from needing to start their applications!). I feel that this kind of information, although bound to be somewhat biased, could potentially be more helpful than just an interview impression, which often ends up being the extent to which information about any given program is available on this forum.

Before I do this, I thought to get some input on whether any one else would also be willing to post (if you wish to be anonymous I would post for you), since having one review would probably not be particularly helpful. Those of you further along in your training could even just post a more general summary of your training experience, so that others could have a good sense of what they might expect at your program.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I finally got a PM from someone wanting to post their review. To be fair, I will post mine first:

Yale Adult Residency - PGY1 experience review

1) Location: This was honestly not a concern of mine at the outset, although it is fair to say that many people have reservations about living in New Haven. I would say the pros of New Haven are the great number of excellent restaurants, the ease of getting to places on foot or using the Yale shuttle, the proximity to New York, and then personally for me the wonderful concerts that take place at the Yale School of Music. Disadvantages are that there are parts of the city that are unattractive and unsafe, and although one can avoid living in them, it is a little harder to never have to pass through them. In particular the VA is in a less appealing part of town.

2) Work-life balance: This was surprisingly good on medicine, and really good on psychiatry. I had more than 50% of my weekends off the entire year. I spent weekends in New York, Boston, New Hampshire, the Berkshires, Newport, etc, had a lot of time to socialize, and even during work hours never felt overly pressured or stressed. Looking forward, the abundance of moonlighting opportunities is really exciting, as they reimburse very well and fit very nicely into the call schedule. I can't think of any negative points regarding work-life balance.

3) Didactics: The advantage of the didactics in intern year was their quality - very dynamic, well presented and interactive. The disadvantage is that in intern year we only had psychiatry didactics for three months (during our on-service months, in other words). Next year we have didactics throughout, however, and I expect good things!

4) Off-service rotations: I really enjoyed these and felt I was made part of the team, which facilitated my learning effectively. The neurology rotation was also a great learning experience, although the department is pretty highly strung - not that I can say that affected me for the two months I was there.

5) On-service rotations: I had three months of inpatient at the West Haven VA, which served as a solid introduction to severe mental illness. I feel I learnt a considerable amount about psychopharmacology and biopsychosocial formulation during this rotation, and was also pleasantly surprised by the diversity of patients. I had exposure to, and was able to administer ECT under supervision, and also learnt how to do suboxone detoxes, which was something I hadn't anticipated. An obvious disadvantage was that I had very few female patients. Also, the physical environment at the VA is not exactly inspiring!

My other inpatient rotation was at Yale Psychiatric Hospital, where I spent a month on the adolescent unit. This was a very different experience to the VA, being a more rapid turnover setting, with an equal distribution of males and females. I felt that this was a great place to work, with really experienced faculty that were enthusiastic to teach, and a much nicer physical environment.

6) Research: This has been the greatest highlight of my PGY-1 year. I have become involved with a number of promising research projects in each of my areas of interest, which, although related are rather diverse, and I have been astounded by the sheer number of available supervisors. I'm working on things like the application of thematic analysis in neuro-imaging research, and the phenomenology of the treatment response to glutamatergic antidepressants. People seem genuinely interested in helping facilitate my own research goals, rather than fit me in to whatever projects they might have going.

7) Overall: Obviously, I am ridiculously happy at Yale, and consider myself lucky to have ended up where I did. I hope that this information is somewhat helpful to others, and am happy to answer any questions other people might have - I promise to do this in as unbiased a fashion as possible.

I have no doubt that other PGY-1's at other programs have had similarly wonderful experiences. I invite them to contribute to this thread also!

Last edited:
Anonymous review:

Loma Linda Adult Residency - PGY 1 experience review

1) Location: It's California, and I wanted to stay in Cali so I'm happy that I'm here, but honestly, San Bernardino County is pretty rough, and the area around the hospital, Redlands, is the only nice area around here. There's some good restaurants, but not many people want to stay here, and most want to move closer to OC or LA on graduation. Grade: B

2) Work-life balance: This is more of a "learn by doing" program, and I think the work-life balance isn't the greatest. Definitely a busier program than I had initially thought, which is good because we are exposed to a HUGE diversity of cases, but I think at the expense of some teaching. Some of the off service months are great, but usually interns are on 1 short call per week (5-9pm), 1 weekend day (7am-9pm), and sometimes a night shift on Saturday. Sometimes call is more frequent, depending on the month (if people are on vaca), so I've had a week where I was on call 3 times. Our second year is the worst call wise. Short call once or twice per week, and occasionally a whole weekend day (24hr) until interns are certified. C

3) Didactics: We have a big emphasis on psychotherapy, which is lacking at many other programs, but I think there's too much emphasis on this at times at the expense of psychopharm. We have one afternoon off per week, but it's not truly protected time since we still have to see any pts that show up on the unit after didactics are over. B

4) Off-service rotations: I felt like I was treated equally to the other residents when on neuro, FP, ER and IM. I actually enjoyed these months, with the exception of ER, which is insanely busy (and I hated ER in med school anyways). A

5) On-service rotations: Majority is spent at the VA, and the teaching is about average, maybe a bit below average, since the volume is so high. Good teaching on our CL month. Not much diversity of the inpt months at the VA, as you can expect, since we see a lot of SIMD, alcohol/meth abuse, etc. More diversity at our stand-alone university psych hospital with decent teaching. B

6) Research: Not much here, not a big part of the program, one of the reasons I came here since I am not much interested in research. N/A

7) Overall: I'd say Loma Linda provides great exposure with a high volume of pts, at the expense of some teaching, at least intern year. Overall we are happy, but I'd wish didactics were a bit better. Teaching is supposed to get better as we go through residency and it'll be interesting to start doing more outpatient. Overall grade: B

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is much appreciated, hope there are more residents willing to chime in. Thank you from an M4 trying to figure out where to apply. :thumbup:

SmallBird- I think you're posting this in the wrong thread.

well its his thread? how can it be in the wrong thread?
Ah, gotcha. I thought this was a residency review posting. I didn't realize it was PGY-1 focused.

Nevermind. My bad...