PGY-1 general surgery after July 1st

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAFblue

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a last-year med student and also a military spouse. We are currently stationed in Europe and that's where I go to school. I wanted to apply for a residency in general surgery to start right after graduation in 2010, but apparently it is not possible in my case... I can't participate in the Match 2010, because my school's graduation date is on June 24th - speaking of a stupid reason to postpone residency training. ECFMG will never process my paperwork in a week... Plus moving from Europe to USA and so... In 6 days??? Not happening.

I have heard it is sometimes possible to find a position starting after July 1st (few weeks after). Would you please help me out and share some suggestions where I could find such a position (PGY-1 general surgery)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

By calling programs, starting from June and continuing up until July 1st and afterwards. Occasionally, applicants can't start for whatever reason or programs open additional spots in July or afterwards.

Thank you very much! Sounds like a reasonable idea. If there is a chance I would like to use it.