PGY-2 chances after prelim IM?

Started by Dr Google
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Dr Google

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,

I'm applying for prelim IM this year, hoping to use that as a boost for applying for EM next year.

But if in case I don't match for EM next year, what are the chances of being able to continue with a PGY-2 categorical IM?

Either at my own program or somewhere else?



My brief profile:
Step 1-242,
Step 2 ck-237,
cs-pass (all first attempt)
Year of grad-2011
USCE-2 months observerships
Research-few publications in GI and radio
FMG, will need visa.
 
Last edited:
Why are you applying only as a prelim this year?

This will NOT boost your chances of getting an advanced position the next year unless you simultaneously discover a cure for all carcinoma.

I don't understand how so many people rationalize themselves into the trap of applying prelim only. Your chances out of prelim medicine are significantly better than prelim surgery, but still...

trap.jpg


Apply directly to emergency at the same time you apply to prelims as backup. You will never have better odds of matching than your first attempt unless something truly remarkable happens to improve your resume.

EDIT:

And also, I would use categorical medicine, not prelim, as your backup. You can always scramble into an academic medicine prelim since no one wants them.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Actually the thing is I decided fairly late in the game that EM would be the best fit for me.
Thus, I have no clinical or research experience in EM, making me (I think) a poor candidate for EM.

Therefore, I was planning to apply just for prelim IM this year, invest the remaining year in getting more EM-specific clinical and research experience, and network around with EM folks so that I will be a much stronger candidate for EM match next year.

And the reason I plan to apply for prelim IM this year instead of just applying for EM next year straightaway is:
1) I am hoping that the hands-on USCE during prelim IM will help in improving my application (?)
2) If I don't match into EM next year, I am hoping that I can transfer to a PGY-2 IM position after my prelim IM.

Hmm, am I doing a lot of 'hoping'?
 
Actually the thing is I decided fairly late in the game that EM would be the best fit for me.
Thus, I have no clinical or research experience in EM, making me (I think) a poor candidate for EM.

Therefore, I was planning to apply just for prelim IM this year, invest the remaining year in getting more EM-specific clinical and research experience, and network around with EM folks so that I will be a much stronger candidate for EM match next year.

And the reason I plan to apply for prelim IM this year instead of just applying for EM next year straightaway is:
1) I am hoping that the hands-on USCE during prelim IM will help in improving my application (?)
2) If I don't match into EM next year, I am hoping that I can transfer to a PGY-2 IM position after my prelim IM.

Hmm, am I doing a lot of 'hoping'?

There are a handful of "advanced" EM programs out there that require a prelim -- you might want to apply to them simultaneously with your prelim medicine rather then go through two matches. They may not be as stringent on the hands on stuff since they know you will be doing an internship anyhow.
 
I would recommend applying to the categorical EM programs this year and using your personal statement to describe why you were late to the game but at the same time why you plan to stick around