IMG need advice/experience in prelim application & SOAP success rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreamyyn

Reaction score
I'm a non-US IMG, potentially no visa needed, with good scores (step1 255~260, step2 265~270, CS first pass) applying for neurology&radiology this year. YOG 4 years, has a bunch of first author publication in decent journals. Got some great interview invitations from advanced residency programs, but sadly only a couple of interviews from prelim (applied 70+ IM prelim, didn't expect that I will only get 3 IVs).

I really want to rank the advanced program at the top but also fear the risk of partial match + failure to get an offer from SOAP. I searched for IMG experience in SOAP in the past and it looks like almost a disaster, almost nobody gets interview calls.

It is also towards the end of the interview season, I recently applied 70+ more IM prelims and 30+ TY. But highly doubt if they will send out invitations at this time point. Also reached out to all the prelim programs in the same state as the advanced programs by email, some replied that they are still reviewing material, but no one has offered an interview so far.

I'm panicked from reading the threads on SDN, but people keep telling me that I will be fine that even if I partially matched, the PD at the advanced program will help me out. But I don't want to gamble on it.

Really need some advice for the prelim & success rate of SOAP for candidates similar to me. Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know if anyone can predict your success in soap. But if you have no failed boards and if you don’t need a visa I think you will be fine. Especially if you already matched a advanced spot, that makes you more attractive as a prelim cause you don’t need time off for interviews.

I'm a non-US IMG, potentially no visa needed, with good scores (step1 255~260, step2 265~270, CS first pass) applying for neurology&radiology this year. YOG 4 years, has a bunch of first author publication in decent journals. Got some great interview invitations from advanced residency programs, but sadly only a couple of interviews from prelim (applied 70+ IM prelim, didn't expect that I will only get 3 IVs).

I really want to rank the advanced program at the top but also fear the risk of partial match + failure to get an offer from SOAP. I searched for IMG experience in SOAP in the past and it looks like almost a disaster, almost nobody gets interview calls.

It is also towards the end of the interview season, I recently applied 70+ more IM prelims and 30+ TY. But highly doubt if they will send out invitations at this time point. Also reached out to all the prelim programs in the same state as the advanced programs by email, some replied that they are still reviewing material, but no one has offered an interview so far.

I'm panicked from reading the threads on SDN, but people keep telling me that I will be fine that even if I partially matched, the PD at the advanced program will help me out. But I don't want to gamble on it.

Really need some advice for the prelim & success rate of SOAP for candidates similar to me. Thank you so much!!
Rank the adv position only with a prelim attached to it and rank the cat positions before ranking the adv position with no prelim match at the bottom...if you match and need a prelim, then you know you went to the bottom of your rank list and didn’t match at anything above ...then you can soap and hopefully get something...but yes FMGs have little luck in soap...don’t rely on it.