PGY-2 for 2004-2005?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kiwi MD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this question has been addressed before. I understand that there are some rads programs who accept applicants straight from medical school and incorporate the clinical year directly into the program. I also know that the majority don't.

My question is the following:

Do we apply for a PGY-2 position now for the following year and then arrange our own clinical year, or do we apply for a prelim clinical year now and then wait until next year to apply to a PGY-2 position? ( for those programs only offering the radiology training program post the clinical year.?)

any clarification would be greatly appreciated!

:D

Members don't see this ad.

hi KIWI MD,

My understanding is that the year of starting is specified along with the PGY 2 position.Ex if the postion starts this year it means that people who have already done their PM's and TY's can apply.On the other hand if the position starts the year after then you can apply for the position next year and apply in seperate for this year PGY1 position.
I hope I got it correct.
Regards

For all of the programs that do not have a combined clinical year you apply to the PGY-2 radiology spot a year in advance. So if you apply for the match this year, on Match Day you will have matched to a radiology PGY-2 starting in 2005. For the clinical year starting in July of 2004 you can also apply through the ERAS match system and you match at both a clinical year and the advanced radiology year. It is setup pretty nicely in that you apply to radiology as your primary specialty and have a rank list of transitional years or preliminary years tied to each program.

If you are already in a intership of another residency and you want to apply through the match, you will still be applying 1 year in advance. The only way to get into a radiology PGY-2 starting right away is to talk to programs that would be willing to give you a position outside of the match. This happens occasionally with residents from other specialties switching. It is not that common.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot for the concise reply...greatly appreciated.

Hello,

So I assume that most applicants just apply for the PGY-1 internship at the same program that they are applying for the PGY-2 residency position? If you are invited for an interview, do they interview you at the same time for the internship and residency? If you are accepted into a PGY-2 residency, will you be automatically accepted into that program's preliminary year (assuming you applied for it)? The reason I ask this is because I know of many interns who are doing their preliminary year at a place different than the one they will be doing their PGY-2. Thank you for any information.

Robert

That assumption is not true. In fact many people apply to preliminary year programs at places other than where they will be doing radiology residency. Even if you limited yourself to preliminary year at those hospitals you would not be garunteed to match there if you are applying to the advanced radiology program (for years 2-5).

Some programs have combined internship and radiology residency where you are garunteed a slot for years 1-5. There are about ~100+ slots for these "combined" programs. The rest are the advanced only positions which are for radiology residency for years 2-5. Most of these hospitals also have prelimary med, surg, or transitional year (year 1) programs that must be applied to separately from the advanced radiology years 2-5 positions.

Conclusion: If you match a combined program then you are set for all 5 years (1-5).

However if you match at an "advanced" (2-5) program then the computer will go down your supplemental rank list to find which preliminary med/surg/transitional year (1) place you matched.

Conclusion: if you match at an advanced radiology program instead of a combined radiology program, there is no garuntee that you will work in the same hospital because the match algorithm matches to radiology first and your preliminary year (1) afterwards.

However, if you choose to limit your geographic area for both advanced and prelim year programs to say nyc, or boston, then you may not have to move because you are limiting the location in which you can match. This is not a smart thing to do, even if you are a superstar, as I have heard of some superstars crash and burn over being very geographically restricted.