PGY-2 IM Resident applying Primary Care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Strange

Sorcerer Supreme
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted over in the Practicing Physicians careers thread but didn't really get any responses, so figured I would try my luck here...

I'm a PGY-2 internal medicine resident going into primary care. Over the holidays, I was looking at jobs for fun and happened upon a listing that seemed very attractive in the location that I want to be. One thing led to another, and I now not only have an in-person interview with this practice coming up but also with two other practices that I applied to after this first experience went so well.

A little background on my situation: I'm coming from a large quaternary care academic center where the vast majority of graduates go on to do fellowship. I'm married, and my partner and I are thinking about adoption in the next few years. In addition to loving the area we're from, we're looking to move back to our home town in PA close to our families for the extra support. It's an up and coming rural/suburban-ish area. This is where we want to be, and there's relatively little flexibility in being too much further away.

I'm now realizing that my interviews are coming up very fast, and I'd like some advice on things to look out for on the job hunt. I've already spoken to some attendings and have addressed things like base salary/RVUs, tail coverage, and restrictive covenants, but I was wondering if there's anything else my fellow SDNers would recommend asking about. Any red flags to look out for? Any benefits (e.g., signing bonus, resident stipend, relocation assistance, loan assistance) that are routinely offered that I should fight for if they're not offered? I'm also planning on getting a lawyer or company to look at my contract when it comes around to that. Any recommendations on those?

Any recs or advice are much appreciated! I can provide more info upon request.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.