PGY-2 position Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ELOVL4

Doc from the Ozarks
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to Financial reason my program cutting down residency positions. Few of my fellow PGY-1 residents are told to look for PGY-2 positions. I wish I could help them. Do you have any advice to help these fellows?

Members don't see this ad.

Hopkins, Yale, and University of Washington usually have 4-6 spots a year for PGY-2 and Stanford usually has 1-2 that frequently do not fill. Some programs (e.g. Stanford) use the Match. It is probably worthwhile them contacting local programs about open spots etc or whether they can accommodate. I believe the NYC programs were able to provide homes for many/most of the residents when St Vincent's and North General closed. Mount Sinai expanded their residency spots after that.

I understand if there is reluctance, but it would be useful for you to say which program this is.

I believe the University of Maryland and the Medical College of Wisconsin also routinely save a spot for a new PGY-2 to come into their programs, so check with them too.

I'm really sorry to hear that this happened to you guys. Hope those who need to find a new spot end up somewhere they like better in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to Financial reason my program cutting down residency positions. Few of my fellow PGY-1 residents are told to look for PGY-2 positions. I wish I could help them. Do you have any advice to help these fellows?

Well your avatar is an OU logo, so you must be at least vaguely familiar with Oklahoma... the OU program has accepted 1-2 PGY-2 residents for the past several years.

Thank you for your inputs. I hope these will help them.

Wow, that's horrible. I'm hoping at least that your program is doing a lot to help these people find spots. Your PD should have more connections than the rest of us.

I don't know of any other programs that routinely take 2nd years than those listed above, but I think it's pretty common for a random PGY 2 spot to open up at a program. Admittedly we had a weird year last year, but we've got 2 new people in my PGY2 class. As far as I know, we didn't post either of our openings last year, though, so you had to have some inside contacts to know about our spots. They best thing to do is probably to put together as many contacts as possible so you can hear about these random openings.

Wow, that's horrible. I'm hoping at least that your program is doing a lot to help these people find spots. Your PD should have more connections than the rest of us.

I don't know of any other programs that routinely take 2nd years than those listed above, but I think it's pretty common for a random PGY 2 spot to open up at a program. Admittedly we had a weird year last year, but we've got 2 new people in my PGY2 class. As far as I know, we didn't post either of our openings last year, though, so you had to have some inside contacts to know about our spots. They best thing to do is probably to put together as many contacts as possible so you can hear about these random openings.

Thank you again.