PGY-2 Spots.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMmetoHelp

Why so serious?
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am transferring from my current residency to PM&R but have already completed my internship in surgery.

Where can one find out about PGY-2 openings?

Is there a central location where PM&R's post residency vacancies?

Thanks in advance!
:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

We have a PGY-2 spot open at LSU. Call Maggie Niles at 504-897-8948 to inquire about the position. Also, it's important if you are still under contract with another program or not.
Private msg me if u have any other questions about the program. I'll speak frankly and honestly.
If not, good luck finding a spot.
-Chris

I heard that Boston University (in Boston, MA) had an opening. Tufts might have a spot also. There was some discussion on this board about NYU residents bailing out like rats last month, so there are probably spots there. You can look up the information here:

http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

Cold calling the programs can be helpful, but time consuming. The flip side of not having a central place to post openings is that the programs themselves don't know what to do, so openings just sit out there unadvertised.

Members don't see this ad :)
This forum is probably the closest thing to a central location for such things.

Carolinas Rehabilitation (formerly known as Charlotte Institute of Rehab) in North Carolina has just been granted an expansion of their current residency program. There is a good possibility they would take someone into the current PGY-2 class if you're interested in starting a little late. They will also be recruiting outside of the match for an extra PGY-2 for next year. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll send you the contact info.

Carolinas Rehabilitation (formerly known as Charlotte Institute of Rehab) in North Carolina has just been granted an expansion of their current residency program. There is a good possibility they would take someone into the current PGY-2 class if you're interested in starting a little late. They will also be recruiting outside of the match for an extra PGY-2 for next year. If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll send you the contact info.

Thanks to everyone who has helped out.
If anyone else knows/finds/hears about any PGY-2 PM&R openings. Please
PM me or post it on this thread!

Thanks

Another PGY-2 spot is available now. We just filled one PGY-2 spot but another is available due to a current resident's medical reasons. You can check out our program here and then contact our coordinator (Maggie Niles) at (504) 897-8948 and/or [email protected].

Quick highlights of our program:
1) Minimum inpatient rehab: 12-13 months with great TBI, stroke, spinal cord experience
2) Great musculoskeletal experience
3) Four (4) months interventional pain: at 3 different locations
4) One of the few PM&R acgme-accredited pain fellowships

Contact me if you have any other questions.

If anyone else hears about any PGY-2 (PMNR-1) spots
open either in their or other programs please post them
here or preferably PM me!

Thanks for you help!

:thumbup:

There is an open spot at UAMS (Arkansas). The contact person is:

Tamara Gill

Members don't see this ad :)
(Possible) PGY-2 opening at EVMS for 2008 because of increased funding. Infomation is not yet confirmed, so do not contact them.

I'm definitely interested. Can you give me a website where I can look up some information on the program? I am doing a Preliminary medicine year, and want to start in 2008.

Another PGY-2 spot is available now. We just filled one PGY-2 spot but another is available due to a current resident's medical reasons. You can check out our program here and then contact our coordinator (Maggie Niles) at (504) 897-8948 and/or [email protected].

Quick highlights of our program:
1) Minimum inpatient rehab: 12-13 months with great TBI, stroke, spinal cord experience
2) Great musculoskeletal experience
3) Four (4) months interventional pain: at 3 different locations
4) One of the few PM&R acgme-accredited pain fellowships

Contact me if you have any other questions.
The number of months of interventional pain, although clearly a plus, ought to be secondary, when you are looking at a program, to the quality of the teachers.

Everyone who practices Interventional can tell you there are guys in the community they would happily send their mom to, and there are folks they wouldn't let do procedures on their dog. So volume alone should not be your some criterion.

Fellowship training is only a reasonable measure if the staff is reasonably young, and even there, I know some guys who are fellowship trained I wouldn't let touch my patients

Asking patients in the community about their experience with individual docs is generally a worthless exercise, as the amnestic effect of the sedating agents makes their recollection unreliable.

There is a guy with a fellowship in Indiana (no, not algos) with a reputation for making his fellows read a wall full of books and articles before he lets them touch a patient. While clearly over the top, understanding WHY you do a particular procedure is at least as important as how to do them. You can do the perfect interlaminar epidural injection, but if the problem in the posterior column, the patient isn't going to get adequate relief no matter how proficient you are at doing interlaminars.

Knowing the complications others have had can help you avoid them yourself, and better understand why things like a test dose of lidocaine and DSA are important, even when they slow you down a little bit.

We were all anxious to start doing procedures, but the more you understand about about the anatomy, the radiography, and the pathophysiology, the better you will be.

If your four months are taught by a putz, a block jock, or someone who is just in it for the money, those are four months you could have better spent doing something more productive.

Quantity is important. Learning to do one procedure well is far more important than doing a bunch of procedures technically poorly, in an unsafe manner, or on an inappropriate patient.

Knowing the complications others have had can help you avoid them yourself, and better understand why things like a test dose of lidocaine and DSA are important, even when they slow you down a little bit.

We were all anxious to start doing procedures, but the more you understand about about the anatomy, the radiography, and the pathophysiology, the better you will be.

If your four months are taught by a putz, a block jock, or someone who is just in it for the money, those are four months you could have better spent doing something more productive.

Quantity is important. Learning to do one procedure well is far more important than doing a bunch of procedures technically poorly, in an unsafe manner, or on an inappropriate patient.

It was 6 months AMPAPHB, and posts like this make me proud.
Learning the procedures is not difficult, very fun, and very rewarding.
Learning the complications and how to handle them is the primary function of the fellows. Outside of lead advancement in the spondylitic spine, the rest is read it, understand it, practice it. The tips and tricks that can be picked up during training with good interventionalists makes the training.

Talking complications is one thing, performance during them is what separates the wheat from the chaff. My favorite NS told me "if you do not have complications, you are not doing enough procedures."

Just an update that the extra PGY-2 position for 2008 at Carolinas Rehab has been filled. If anyone is applying through the match for 2009 please feel free to email me with any questions about the program. Good luck!

I'm interested in an open PM&R PGY-2 slot for transfer, the sooner the better. If anyone hears of any openings, please let me know. Thanks!

I am also looking for any open PGY-2 spots. Currently in a PM&R program that is not the right fit for me. Please PM me regarding any potential openings. Thank you in advance.

LSU PM&R PGY2 SPOTS:

hey guys/girls. lsu is still considering taking the "right" pgy2 candidate. we're accepting between 5-7 pgy1's this year depending on if we take any pgy2's. call up our program coordinator Maggie Niles at 504-897-8948. the only thing with taking a transfer resident is that your current program must be completely cool with allowing you to get out of your current contract.

Chris

Also in a PGY-2 PM&R spot that is not the right fit for me. Looking to transfer into a PGY3 spot in June/July. My PD has given me permission to talk to other programs. Any suggestions or known spots? Please contact me: [email protected]

There will be an open spot for a PGY3 in Toledo At UTMC for July. The current resident is leaving for health reasons (not his, his family). If interested email your CV to:

Cheri Packard
[email protected]
419-383-5090

I matched for 2008, love my program, but my wife doesnt like the city.. do swaps really work?? anyone interested???

I matched for 2008, love my program, but my wife doesnt like the city.. do swaps really work?? anyone interested???

Probably depends on 1. program: attractiveness of program and flexibility of programs involved, wheather they want to deal with this or not.
2. the city itself- is it attractable to others.

remind you wife its not like you have to stay there for life- whats 3 years ??:hardy:

is there any site to find out what fellowships residents landed from certain programs??

is there any site to find out what fellowships residents landed from certain programs??

Probably have to go to the website of the fellowship programs that you desire and then see if the fellow's credentials are listed (i.e. where they previously trained).

Hi there--
Coming from a heavily inpatient minded program and interested in transferring to a more academic program for my PGY3 year.
Keeping my ear to the grapevines...

Unexpected opening this july for a pgy 2 spot... SUNY Upstate

Send CV and other info to:

MaryAnn Baker
Residency Coordinator
Department of PM&R
SUNY Upstate Medical
750 E Adams St
Syracuse, NY 13210

Phone: (315) 464-8672
Email: [email protected]