PGY-II Transfer Still Viable 2021/2022?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inkyubeytor

Reaction score
Hi,

Fourth year DO student here. I have always been interested in psychiatry, however unfortunately, I do not have many interviews for it at all and was told I'll likely match into my back-up specialty (which is FM/IM). This is mainly due to low board scores, though I have good LoRs/honors in psych/psych research.

I've seen around here that psych gets a lot of transfers. I was wondering if, assuming I pass Level III first try and am a good resident, the viability of completing my intern year and then looking for a PGYII spot, assuming I'm willing to go anywhere in the US (I complete intern year 2022). If I have to redo PGY-I though, so be it, but I heard searching for PGY-I spots isn't viable. I'm not geographically limited. I see the CMS funding issue being brought up and hear conflicting things about it--guessing it must be region dependent.

I have a back-up plan for FM/IM in case psych doesn't work out, but since it's my original goal, I'd like to focus on trying to see the viability of a transfer first before I dedicate myself towards FM/IM.

Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

1) Wait until you have the outcome of the match before you worry about contingencies.
2) Re-read #1
3) Re-read #1
4) Reflect on the times in the past where you have to hurry up and wait. I.e. you take an exam and it takes weeks for results. You get accepted to medical school and you have to finish up your final semester of college before starting, etc. You've been here before you can do it again.

Reactions: 1 user