DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I read up on AAPM&R.org that there are a majority of residency programs that are classified as "advanced positions" (versus categorical). I don't know what this means other than these positions are not available to PGY1 interns. So, some clarification on how that works would help.
I am also curious as to the options one has for the internship year. Specifically, I read that one may choose to work primarily in FP, IM, Surgery, or Peds. Is there a "better" field to intern with that lends itself more to any PM&R programs?
Sorry if these questions are too vague or broad. I'm still pushing through MS-II but just wanted to get a heads up on things to come.

fozzy40

15+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2001
Portland, OR
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
I'm not sure if you saw this particular document on the AAPM&R Medical Student's Section under "PGY1 training". If not, I think it might be helpful.

I generally tell medical student so to go for preliminary medicine year followed by a traditional/osteopathic internship. I suppose that a family medicine intern year should be fine as well depending on what kind and how much inpatient experience you get. Peds I guess would be fine as long as you can extrapolate the medicine and dosing to adults as well.

Typically, PGY2 year of most PM&R residencies are inpatient heavy and the patient's
that we are seeing are VERY sick.

Just my two cents...

Ludicolo

Fib Hunter
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2008
Conjunction Junction
Status
Attending Physician
I read up on AAPM&R.org that there are a majority of residency programs that are classified as "advanced positions" (versus categorical). I don't know what this means other than these positions are not available to PGY1 interns. So, some clarification on how that works would help.
I am also curious as to the options one has for the internship year. Specifically, I read that one may choose to work primarily in FP, IM, Surgery, or Peds. Is there a "better" field to intern with that lends itself more to any PM&R programs?
Sorry if these questions are too vague or broad. I'm still pushing through MS-II but just wanted to get a heads up on things to come.
PM&R is a 4-year residency. One year must be spent developing “fundamental clinical skills.” This is generally the intern year. When you interview during your MS4 year, you will interview for PM&R positions (both categorical and advanced) as well as for prelim positions. If you match into a categorical (PGY1) PM&R spot you're all good since the intern year requirements are integrated into the 4-year PM&R program. If you match into an advanced (PGY2) PM&R spot, you also will try to match simultaneously into a prelim spot. In due time, you will learn about FREIDA, ERAS, the NRMP, rank order lists and supplemental ROLs.

The prelim year can be in IM, surgery, peds, or a transitional year (all of which have dedicated prelim spots). The DO traditional rotating internship also works. While a specialty like FM satisfies the fundamental skills requirements, there are no formal “prelim FM” programs. That said, there have been instances where candidates have independently arranged a prelim FM year. Conceivably, one could also match into and complete a year of categorical FM (or EM or OB/GYN which also satisfy the fundamental skills requirement) and then later try to switch into PGY2 PM&R, without having to repeat any rotations.

There is no “better” prelim specialty. There is what is best for you. Some PM&R PDs would prefer their resident do a prelim IM year, because the PGY2 year is generally inpatient heavy. But there are many residents who’ve done prelim surgery or transitional years, and they’ve all done OK.