PGY1 Training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrMattOglesby

Grand Master
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I read up on AAPM&R.org that there are a majority of residency programs that are classified as "advanced positions" (versus categorical). I don't know what this means other than these positions are not available to PGY1 interns. So, some clarification on how that works would help.
I am also curious as to the options one has for the internship year. Specifically, I read that one may choose to work primarily in FP, IM, Surgery, or Peds. Is there a "better" field to intern with that lends itself more to any PM&R programs?
Sorry if these questions are too vague or broad. I'm still pushing through MS-II but just wanted to get a heads up on things to come.
 
I'm not sure if you saw this particular document on the AAPM&R Medical Student's Section under "PGY1 training". If not, I think it might be helpful.

I generally tell medical student so to go for preliminary medicine year followed by a traditional/osteopathic internship. I suppose that a family medicine intern year should be fine as well depending on what kind and how much inpatient experience you get. Peds I guess would be fine as long as you can extrapolate the medicine and dosing to adults as well.

Typically, PGY2 year of most PM&R residencies are inpatient heavy and the patient's
that we are seeing are VERY sick.

Just my two cents...
 
I read up on AAPM&R.org that there are a majority of residency programs that are classified as "advanced positions" (versus categorical). I don't know what this means other than these positions are not available to PGY1 interns. So, some clarification on how that works would help.
I am also curious as to the options one has for the internship year. Specifically, I read that one may choose to work primarily in FP, IM, Surgery, or Peds. Is there a "better" field to intern with that lends itself more to any PM&R programs?
Sorry if these questions are too vague or broad. I'm still pushing through MS-II but just wanted to get a heads up on things to come.

PM&R is a 4-year residency. One year must be spent developing “fundamental clinical skills.” This is generally the intern year. When you interview during your MS4 year, you will interview for PM&R positions (both categorical and advanced) as well as for prelim positions. If you match into a categorical (PGY1) PM&R spot you're all good since the intern year requirements are integrated into the 4-year PM&R program. If you match into an advanced (PGY2) PM&R spot, you also will try to match simultaneously into a prelim spot. In due time, you will learn about FREIDA, ERAS, the NRMP, rank order lists and supplemental ROLs.

The prelim year can be in IM, surgery, peds, or a transitional year (all of which have dedicated prelim spots). The DO traditional rotating internship also works. While a specialty like FM satisfies the fundamental skills requirements, there are no formal “prelim FM” programs. That said, there have been instances where candidates have independently arranged a prelim FM year. Conceivably, one could also match into and complete a year of categorical FM (or EM or OB/GYN which also satisfy the fundamental skills requirement) and then later try to switch into PGY2 PM&R, without having to repeat any rotations.

There is no “better” prelim specialty. There is what is best for you. Some PM&R PDs would prefer their resident do a prelim IM year, because the PGY2 year is generally inpatient heavy. But there are many residents who’ve done prelim surgery or transitional years, and they’ve all done OK.