PGY2 IM considering military for overseas experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arbor_vitae3

Reaction score
I am starting my 3rd year of internal medicine residency in a civilian (AOA/ACGME dual) program. Although I have immense respect for the military and it’s providers I never really considered a career in the military until recently.

I recently married into a Japanese family and really want to move to Japan and the only practical way I can see practicing in Japan with an IM background is through the military. There are 2 Navy and 2 Air Force bases with hospitals in the country. I know there will be those in this forum that will think I’m crazy for joining the military for this reason but living near my new family is important to me and I’m willing to make some sacrifices for it. I also come from a military family and would love to work with this population.

1. What are the possibilities of designating a place to practice when joining the navy or Air Force as an officer? As an general contractor?

2. Will I still be eligable for loan repayment even though I’m halfway through residency?

3. How likely is the risk of deployment and if it happens, for how long? I realize this may be hard to answer.

4. Any good resources for working as a general contractor physician?

I have a million more questions but I will start there. If there is a kind soul who would be willing to chat with me about this I would appreciate it. I have also posed these questions to recruiters (responses pending) but thought it a good idea to get outside perspectives as well.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

the military will put you where they need you. Joining on the hopes you will be stationed in Japan for the entirety of your military career is nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I know one guy who worked it out ahead of time to go to Japan on a 4-year contract with the Air Force. I don't know if that was written into his contract, but I sort of doubt it. My impression is that he just worked it out with the specialty consultant, and everything happened to go according to plan. It probably helped that he went to one of the less desirable places, i.e. not Tokyo.

The problem with these sorts of ideas is that there are about a thousand different ways they can go wrong, and there's really nothing you can do ahead of time to ensure that they won't.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about working as a DoD civilian doctor there? You should look into that as well. You are not guaranteed to get a posting in Japan or stay there if you join the military.

Sent from my XT1650 using SDN mobile

Interestingly, I was in a very similar position. My in-laws are all in Japan and are all Japanese. I was in the Army, but there are exchanges with the other services. I had a co-resident who managed to secure an exchange wherein he went to Japan for three years and a Navy doc went to Fort Campbell, KY. He had literally no ties to Japan. I tried to do the same thing for five consecutive years, and would have even stayed in had I managed to make this situation work. But it never did.

As mentioned above, don't join to try to make this happen. It's a pipe dream at worst, and at best a very long shot.

Last edited:
You would be doing FAP - financial assistance program.

Again many many variables and “needs of the military” comes first.

That being said, overseas/OCONUS positions are highest fill priorities for Detailers.

You should inquire about DoD contractors perhaps that is more reliable.

Good luck!

I can only answer for Navy
But for IM,
You're looking at Yokosuka, Iwakuni, and Okinawa only. There are no contractor IM positions at any of the sites. None of the sites have problems filling their billets and are sought after billets. One can tell by the seniority of the billet holders. In Yokosuka, all docs in IM are O4 amd above.

1. What are the possibilities of designating a place to practice when joining the navy or Air Force as an officer? As an general contractor?
There is no such thing as joining the Navy for a location specific billet.

2. Will I still be eligable for loan repayment even though I’m halfway through residency?
There are various programs, i joined as most thru medschool, thus not well informed.

3. How likely is the risk of deployment and if it happens, for how long? I realize this may be hard to answer.
If you arent prepared for a deployment, you shouldn't join.

4. Any good resources for working as a general contractor physician?
Usajobs.gov

People will criticize your plan...but it’s a much more mature plan than my plan to get stationed in Japan to buy a dirt cheap Nissan Skyline R34.

Reactions: 1 users