PGY2, PGY1 or medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrFixS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I am an IMG who did not match to a categorical gen. surg position and had to take a prelim position as a last resort (in NJ).
Besides having to look for a PGY2 for next year I have recently met someone who I am in a serious relationship with who lives in LA, California so I would like to find a spot over there.
First, how does one find out about open PGY2 spots (the New England classifieds? word of mouth? FindAResident? calling PD's?)
Second, does anyone know something about getting a status letter for applying in the state of California?
And most importantly, should I start worrying about it now?
Also, since I would like to end up somewhere in California, would it be a good idea to apply for both Gen. Surg AND medicine (PGY1) positions there to increase my chances of matching?
I appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.aamc.org/students/findaresident/start.htm

indAResident is a powerful, web-based search tool to help you find open residency and fellowship positions. Best of all, it can put you in direct contact with the programs looking to fill these positions. Offered by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), FindAResident supplements the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and is ideal for finding unfilled positions- especially if you experienced an unsuccessful match through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) or Scramble. It is also an effective resource if you wish to change specialty, location or residency program. FindAResident is open year-round giving you access to unfilled residency and fellowship positions ranging from PGY1 through PGY6 in a variety of ACGME accredited specialties. As needs and opportunities change, FindAResident updates its information, providing a dynamic resource of vacant positions right at your fingertips.