PGY2 reading list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm on a particularly slow rotation right now with lots of reading time and was wondering if there's any consensus on what a 2nd year resident should be reading. I'll confess to not doing a lot of reading last year, something I'm hoping to rectify, so some of the less basic PGY1 suggestions might be useful, too.

Currently I'm at the state hospital (pretty much 100% schizophrenia versus schizoaffective disorder population) and am going to start seeing outpatients this month. Great books tailored at either situation would be neat.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm on a particularly slow rotation right now with lots of reading time and was wondering if there's any consensus on what a 2nd year resident should be reading. I'll confess to not doing a lot of reading last year, something I'm hoping to rectify, so some of the less basic PGY1 suggestions might be useful, too.

Currently I'm at the state hospital (pretty much 100% schizophrenia versus schizoaffective disorder population) and am going to start seeing outpatients this month. Great books tailored at either situation would be neat.

Here are some that I would start with.

Gaylin W. Talk is not enough : how psychotherapy really works. Boston: Little Brown, 2000. Great intro to how therapists think and how to think about the long term goals of therapy.

Goldstein WN. A primer for beginning psychotherapy. New York: Taylor & Francis, 2001. Intro to doing therapy, initial approach, etc.

McWilliams N. Psychoanalytic diagnosis : understanding personality structure in the clinical process. New York: Guilford Press, 1994. How to think psychoanalytically about your patients (not just the ones you have in 'long term psychotherapy').