1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

pH and breathing rate

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by vvvv, Jun 16, 2008.

1. vvvv

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    (T/F) an elevation in pH causes peripheral chemoreceptors to increase the rate and depth of breathing.

I thought increase pH mean high HCO3- , this is because CO2 release too fast (hyerventilation) so it should reduce the rate but the answer is increase/.....someone helps me please

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thebozz1975

5+ Year Member

You are almost there. Yes, too much CO2 leads to too much bicarbonate b/c this is how CO2 is transported after being converted to bicarbonate in red blood cells. Respiratory rate is increased b/c the increased gas exchange returns blood pH to normal by decreasing bicarbonate in the blood.

4. osimsDDS

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I think you are right, i believe the answer is incorrect...if you have an increase in pH that means that you have more oxygen less HCO3- or "CO2" therefore you would decrease breathing rate

5. Orgodox

7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Yea i'm with osims. I read in destroyer that if you decrease the pH you increase breathing rate. So by extension wouldn't an increase in pH mean the opposite?

6. thebozz1975

5+ Year Member

The Kaplan course book (white book) is in agreement with all of us.