pH and breathing rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vvvv

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
(T/F) an elevation in pH causes peripheral chemoreceptors to increase the rate and depth of breathing.

I thought increase pH mean high HCO3- , this is because CO2 release too fast (hyerventilation) so it should reduce the rate but the answer is increase/.....someone helps me please

Members don't see this ad.

You are almost there. Yes, too much CO2 leads to too much bicarbonate b/c this is how CO2 is transported after being converted to bicarbonate in red blood cells. Respiratory rate is increased b/c the increased gas exchange returns blood pH to normal by decreasing bicarbonate in the blood.

(T/F) an elevation in pH causes peripheral chemoreceptors to increase the rate and depth of breathing.

I thought increase pH mean high HCO3- , this is because CO2 release too fast (hyerventilation) so it should reduce the rate but the answer is increase/.....someone helps me please

I think you are right, i believe the answer is incorrect...if you have an increase in pH that means that you have more oxygen less HCO3- or "CO2" therefore you would decrease breathing rate

Yea i'm with osims. I read in destroyer that if you decrease the pH you increase breathing rate. So by extension wouldn't an increase in pH mean the opposite?