1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

pH and breathing rate

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by vvvv, Jun 16, 2008.

1. vvvv

Pre-Dental
    (T/F) an elevation in pH causes peripheral chemoreceptors to increase the rate and depth of breathing.

I thought increase pH mean high HCO3- , this is because CO2 release too fast (hyerventilation) so it should reduce the rate but the answer is increase/.....someone helps me please

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. thebozz1975

You are almost there. Yes, too much CO2 leads to too much bicarbonate b/c this is how CO2 is transported after being converted to bicarbonate in red blood cells. Respiratory rate is increased b/c the increased gas exchange returns blood pH to normal by decreasing bicarbonate in the blood.

4. osimsDDS

Pre-Dental
    I think you are right, i believe the answer is incorrect...if you have an increase in pH that means that you have more oxygen less HCO3- or "CO2" therefore you would decrease breathing rate

5. Orgodox

Dental Student
    Yea i'm with osims. I read in destroyer that if you decrease the pH you increase breathing rate. So by extension wouldn't an increase in pH mean the opposite?

6. thebozz1975

The Kaplan course book (white book) is in agreement with all of us.