Ph.D. Programs in Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Raconteur07

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's early for me, but I plan on entering a Ph.D. program after earning my Au.D. The problem is, I've done a lot of searching, including using ASHA's EDFIND engine, but I can't find a good list of schools that offer Ph.D.'s in audiology specifically.

Several schools offer the degree in CSD or Speech and Hearing Sciences, but it seems like few of them actually have a concentrated Ph.D. program for audiology.

Can anyone list some schools that offer such a degree? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Kent State (ohio) offers a Ph.D. program. It's part of NOAC.

I'm currently a 3rd year Au.D. student also thinking about possibly doing the Ph.D. after the Au.D. There are a lot of things to consider (Ph.D. programs are very very different from the Au.D.) I am currently in the NOAC program (Kent State/University of Akron consortium) and while Kent State does offer a Ph.D, it's really quite weak from my observations (only 2 current students who have been there for years and years, only 2 professors who serve as advisors, extremely outdated facilities (it's like traveling back in time to 1960), etc.). As far as Ph.D (and Au.D.) programs go, Vanderbilt is the cream of the crop. There are several other programs to consider (you can search for them at http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Doctoral/DoctSearch.aspx.) Since Ph.D. programs are much more flexible than Au.D. programs, it's important to have a clear idea of what you want to research and eventually on which you want to complete a dissertation. Your program will probably be designed around your interests. Then, you need to find an advisor with expertise in this area, or else you're going to have a much more difficult time getting to graduation. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Memphis has a very active PhD program and they have a good reputation as well.

There's also a big difference between clinical Ph.D. and basic science Ph.D. programs. Clinical Ph.D.'s could take anywhere from 1-3 years post-Au.D. Other programs could take 3-5 years post-Au.D.

Gallaudet has a post Au.D. clinical Audiology Ph.D. that's supposed to take 2 years but often takes more. I think James Madison has a similar degree structure. U Maryland has a clinical Ph.D. that's supposed to take only one extra year if you also get your Au.D. there. They also have a non-clinical Ph.D. that takes longer.

There are two approaches you can use to go about this (assuming funding is not a primary concern). You can pick a good school and then decide on which faculty member/research area while you are there or you can decide your area of interest and identify key researchers in that area and work under them. There are benefits and drawbacks to both approaches.

Other schools worth mentioning include the University of Iowa, Northwestern, University of Maryland, University of Texas at Dallas

What are your research interests? Clinical diagnostics? Amplification? Electrophysiology? Educational Audiology?

Thanks for the info.

As of right now, my interests are mostly in tinnitus and vestibular physiology.

there is some tinnitus research going on at the university at buffalo and they have a Ph.D. program.