Ph.D./Psy.D. comparison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi ALL,

I'm planning to apply to both PhD programs in counseling psych and PsyD programs in clinical psych for fall, 2013. I'll apply to those that suit my interest of course--either in terms of research or in terms of practice.

My question is, what's normally required in the SOP for a PsyD program? How's it different from the SOP for a PhD program in Psychology? What are the faculty in PsyD programs looking for in potential candidates?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, what's normally required in the SOP for a PsyD program?

I've been interested in this as well, though I suspect The Insiders Guide has some insight? (can't find my copy, of course :rolleyes:).

Hi ALL,

I'm planning to apply to both PhD programs in counseling psych and PsyD programs in clinical psych for fall, 2013. I'll apply to those that suit my interest of course--either in terms of research or in terms of practice.

My question is, what's normally required in the SOP for a PsyD program? How's it different from the SOP for a PhD program in Psychology? What are the faculty in PsyD programs looking for in potential candidates?

Thanks in advance!

That's clearly going to vary among programs. Some Psy.D. programs are no different than Ph.D. programs in what they are looking for. For instance, nearly the same essay got me interviews at University of Kansas (Ph.D.) and Baylor (Psy.D). Very different programs, but only minor changes in the Essays. Clearly you want to shift your focus slightly but you are still selling what your passion is and why the school is a good fit for your long term career aspirations. With counseling Ph.D. programs this shift is even less obvious than it would be for a clinical Ph.D. program in many cases. Focus on why you are a good fit for the university and why they are a good fit for you. Don't be afraid to be honest and tell them what you like about their program, training model, research, and even the career trajectory you expect upon graduation (keep it realistic!).

M

Members don't see this ad :)
It should be obvious but...Psy.D. programs very much care about your research interests (at least the good ones). You'll want to know if they run a strict mentor model where you match to a specific mentor, you get slotted into a lab/group (possibly with multiple mentor options), or you don't get assigned a particular mentor....but you will be expected to have an area of interest that someone on the faculty can supervise.

Hey guys,

I'm actually in my first year of a PsyD program right now... at John F. Kennedy University in California. The reason why I chose this was because I did research in my undergrad and absolutely grew cynical over it. I have a huge problem with some psychological research and I found it hard to find universities in Canada (where I'm from) that had research areas that I could focus on for a few years.

I'd be happy to answer anyone's questions about the PsyD program. The important thing here is if you want to go into academia, PhD is the way for you. If you care about practicing, either one is good. I love the practical emphasis on the PsyD... I'm in my first year and already we're required 216 hours in a clinical setting.

Hi CanadianV,
I am preparing my application to apply to JFKU for their PsyD Program. I have looked at the cost and it is intimidating to say the least, considering how low you initial salary after postdoc is. How is the program for you? How rigorous is it? Would you recommend me to go for it? Thank.