pharm admissions stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamifl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am applying for the first time this year. I received interviews to 2 of the 3 schools that I applied for. I'm done with my prereqs but my GPA is low (3.02 in the pharmcas) i have a bachelor's in another pharm unrelated field, and my pcat scores are low too (69). I really was not expecting any interviews until my stats looked better, hopefully next year. To my surprise I did get these 2 interviews, so just wanted to ask is anyone has ever gotten accepted with these low stats, do they consider other things besides GPA and PCAT ?

Members don't see this ad.

If you weren't considered competitive in the adcoms eyes they wouldn't have asked you for the interview. Applicants they are NOT interested in get their applications "thrown in the garbage" so to speak. With that being said, your stats must have impressed them enough to grant you an interview. To answer your other question, YES, I know plenty of ppl how have been accepted with 3.0 range GPAs. Congrats on your interviews and good luck!!!!

:scared:thank you
If you weren't considered competitive in the adcoms eyes they wouldn't have asked you for the interview. Applicants they are NOT interested in get their applications "thrown in the garbage" so to speak. With that being said, your stats must have impressed them enough to grant you an interview. To answer your other question, YES, I know plenty of ppl how have been accepted with 3.0 range GPAs. Congrats on your interviews and good luck!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

i agree hcky ^ ^ and YES! they do consider other things besides GPA and PCAT. like your bachelors for one, completed prereq's, personal statement, supplemental, LORs, ECs and such. ooh and by the way... considering your pharmCAS GPA was low[3.02]. i'm assuming your cumulative, prereq or even your science GPA, was higher. but, anyway... congrats!!! miami ^ ^ and best of luck to you! on your interviews also :luck:

Last edited:
I am in the same situation...I have decent GPA of 3.8 cml and 3.9 science but i have a 55 on pcat bcz of 20's in verbal n reading section and high 80 on others. Now i m trying to figure out which school should i apply to. I have 3 year of pharmacy experiance as i m tech. at cvs plus number of award from communit college i went to. I m also starting volunteer at hospital in 1 week.
any suggestions which school will suite my profile

I am in the same situation...I have decent GPA of 3.8 cml and 3.9 science but i have a 55 on pcat bcz of 20's in verbal n reading section and high 80 on others. Now i m trying to figure out which school should i apply to. I have 3 year of pharmacy experiance as i m tech. at cvs plus number of award from communit college i went to. I m also starting volunteer at hospital in 1 week.

do you have a bachelors degree?

My grade and pcat score was similar to yours and I got several interviews so don't lose hope. :)

I think you're more than fine, as they focus on the scie sections of the pcat, if you scored high in chem, bio and math, they consider that. Plus your GPA is great, so if I were you, I wouldn't even sweat it, AND you have work exp

Those will make up for it to say the least.

Why do so many people struggle on the verbal section?

Why do so many people struggle on the verbal section?
Because it is so damn hard! full of words that nobody in the read world uses, like old english words. the worst part is that you can't even study for that section, because you either know the definitions or you don't

Because it is so damn hard! full of words that nobody in the read world uses, like old english words. the worst part is that you can't even study for that section, because you either know the definitions or you don't

Also, because Americans have become lazy with their vocabulary. I blame text messaging, internet 'speak', and ebonics not to mention a lack of concern for the English language as a whole.

I wonder how many native-english speakers are outperformed by ESLs.

Hehe, I got 90s on the vocab sections *yay*

In short, please don't dismiss your language, it can convey a whole new world if given the chance.

i memorize biological terminologies better than I do those english terms.

Members don't see this ad :)

You can start by typing the WHOLE word instead of "bcz" or "n"...

Man, I studied for the GRE for a while, and let me tell you, the PCAT verbal sections are a joke compared to the crazy words on the GRE.

Man, I studied for the GRE for a while, and let me tell you, the PCAT verbal sections are a joke compared to the crazy words on the GRE.

You want to see some crazy words? I was playing freerice.com and I got to a level where it wasn't so much that I didn't know the meaning of the words but that I wasn't aware that these were real words in the English language. Some of those words I had never seen before anywhere and I have a pretty good vocabulary.

I thought the verbal part was pretty easy, but then again I write a lot.

And to answer the original poster, I have a 2.94 culm GPA, 2.66 science GPA and 94 PCAT score and I have two interviews in the next two weeks.

You want to see some crazy words? I was playing freerice.com and I got to a level where it wasn't so much that I didn't know the meaning of the words but that I wasn't aware that these were real words in the English language. Some of those words I had never seen before anywhere and I have a pretty good vocabulary.

:laugh: OMG!!! you are SO right!!! after i got the first one correct the VERY next word was, "GUFFAW???" :wtf: at that point i was already looking for that link. you know like in those spelling bee, competitions where they tell the judge, "... can you use it in a sentence, please..." :rofl: fun though aint it?

by the way... nevada, is BEAUTIFUL!!! just came from their about a month in a half ago. yeah, my father had an ironworker convention in tahoe, and OMG!!! i was already looking for a house their :laugh: i mean, don't get me wrong... hawaii, IS paradise in it's own right. but, tahoes definitely in a league of it's own and that's for DAM sure ;)

anyway... back to free rice :thumbup:

I play freerice once in a while, and I usually reach level 48-50 (don't know if it has changed, but those were the highest levels when I played). Oddly, I'm ESL, but I have a wide vocabulary, and a grasp of word roots even though I never formally studied them.

And SmKN808, "guffaw" means to laugh loudly.

For me as English is a second language, very difficult to comprehend the verbal :confused:

I thought the verbal and reading was okay, but I still did a little better on the science sections. I used to write A LOT in grade school though.... funny thing is a really don't like reading or writing unless it is a science textbook or periodical.

I had a really strict AP language teacher in high school though, and she basically gave us all D's on our essays no matter how well we did. Then she would wait and only give out A's if you didn't cry that semester. (We actually had a kid who cried and she gave him his first B). Luckily it paid off and I got a 36 on the ACT verbal/writing/whatever it's called and I got waived out of freshman english comp.

I feel like my grammar and spelling gets worse every year out of high school though.

:laugh: OMG!!! you are SO right!!! after i got the first one correct the VERY next word was, "GUFFAW???" :wtf: at that point i was already looking for that link. you know like in those spelling bee, competitions where they tell the judge, "... can you use it in a sentence, please..." :rofl: fun though aint it?

by the way... nevada, is BEAUTIFUL!!! just came from their about a month in a half ago. yeah, my father had an ironworker convention in tahoe, and OMG!!! i was already looking for a house their :laugh: i mean, don't get me wrong... hawaii, IS paradise in it's own right. but, tahoes definitely in a league of it's own and that's for DAM sure ;)

anyway... back to free rice :thumbup:

SMKN: You're applying right out of high school? I wish I had known that was an option when I graduated 4 years ago. Do you have to sit for a PCAT or will you have to do that a couple years into the program? Good luck!

I had a really strict AP language teacher in high school though, and she basically gave us all D's on our essays no matter how well we did..

heyy tink ^ ^ OMG!!! girl mine is killing me too. ooh she's a b**** alright. but, anyway...:rolleyes:

Luckily it paid off and I got a 36 on the ACT verbal/writing/whatever it's called and I got waived out of freshman english comp..

WOW! you got a 36 on your ACT
Bigthumbs-up.gif
personally, i REALLY hate ap english comp.lit/language. it's pretty much my weakest subject. but, i'm doing alright nonetheless[borderline A/B~ish].

I feel like my grammar and spelling gets worse every year out of high school though.

yeah, ME too and i'm STILL in high school :laugh:

SMKN: You're applying right out of high school? I wish I had known that was an option when I graduated 4 years ago. Do you have to sit for a PCAT or will you have to do that a couple years into the program? Good luck!

heyy moni ^ ^ yeah, i think b[pharm b], said it best. PCAT/ PharmCAS and such doesn't apply to us. we just apply direct along with our SAT/ ACT results and that's pretty much it. hell, i didn't even have to write a personal statement or even LORs, for the matter. but, i did anyway[hopefully it'll better my chances:xf:]. for the most part, i REALLY want to get into UOPs 2+3 accellerated program. although, i've been hearing some not so good things about it's COMMUNITY in the 2010 thread. but, i dunno... i guess if i get an interview, i'll find out for myself :shrug: but, yeah... the link in my signature has some info about 0-6 and early assurerance pharmacy programs for graduating high school seniors an such, as well as a list of schools that offer those programs. but, anyway... CONGRATZ!!!
cheers.gif
and best of luck to you at Ole Miss...
RockerDude.gif

I thought the verbal part was pretty easy, but then again I write a lot.

And to answer the original poster, I have a 2.94 culm GPA, 2.66 science GPA and 94 PCAT score and I have two interviews in the next two weeks.
hi,
what schools did u apply to?

I play freerice once in a while, and I usually reach level 48-50 (don't know if it has changed, but those were the highest levels when I played). Oddly, I'm ESL, but I have a wide vocabulary, and a grasp of word roots even though I never formally studied them.

And SmKN808, "guffaw" means to laugh loudly.

They added levels up to 60. You should try it. I brought my laptop to class and figured I'd play some freerice on the side while listening to the lecture because this prof has a tendency to explain things entirely too long. Well, it turned out that I really suck at multitasking when a boring lecture is going on. Lesson learned.

They added levels up to 60. You should try it. I brought my laptop to class and figured I'd play some freerice on the side while listening to the lecture because this prof has a tendency to explain things entirely too long. Well, it turned out that I really suck at multitasking when a boring lecture is going on. Lesson learned.

:laugh:

I like to remain anonymous, but both schools are in the top five pharm schools in the nation.

Passion4Sci... lol.

laughing025.gif
NO OFFENSE!!! phat... it's scis fault ;)

nooo... but, i'm pretty sure this is one of your many sarcastic moments on sdn eh...;) but, anyway... it's david caruso or horatio caine, from csi miami.

You are new here, so you don't know that I don't own a T.V., and see very few movies, so I am not up on pop culture. Thus, random T.V. stars on random shows lose me every time.

You are new here, so you don't know that I don't own a T.V., and see very few movies, so I am not up on pop culture. Thus, random T.V. stars on random shows lose me every time.

oops! i actually thought you were kidding :oops: but, YOU are right! and i should NOT have assumed such things. so, yeah... my apologies nonetheless sci...:D

I like to remain anonymous, but both schools are in the top five pharm schools in the nation.

thanks anyway... my stats are kinda the same as yours. so that gives me hope. lol... well, good luck on your interviews!:)

what does pharmcas gpa refer to?
overall gpa? calculated by pharmcas?
or prereq gpa calculated by pharmcas?

Ok. so it's pretty much my overall gpa.

I'm only a 2nd year can i make a pharmcas account already?
I'm not applying til my 4th year though.

Ok. so it's pretty much my overall gpa.

I'm only a 2nd year can i make a pharmcas account already?
I'm not applying til my 4th year though.

You can, but it will just reset next cycle. I made that mistake and lost all of my information lol. So just wait till it opens in June the year you start to apply.

how do u calculate your pre-req GPA? does PHARMCAS do it for u? do i have to do it myself?

I think the verbal section is the easiest section but I read a lot of novels and I think that has helped my vocabulary the most. I got an 89 on Verbal but only 55 on chemistry. I took the PCAT before I took O-Chem but I was still upset about that score.