ndearwater

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
I'm considering pursuing a joint Pharm.D/MBA while in pharmacy school. Can anyone share their experiences or offer advice regarding such programs? Is it doable as far as course load? Do you have time to study for pharmacy classes and business?
Thanks for any advice guys!
PS I'm sure others have asked the same question but Search Still Disabled. :laugh:

Aznfarmerboi

10+ Year Member
May 18, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
Why not check out our faqs or post in pre pharmacy forum? If it is not doable. . . why would they offer it in the first place? :rolleyes:

ndearwater

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
I know the basic info I just wanted to hear some feedback from students currently pursuing both degrees. I don't think pre-pharmacy will have that kind of info.
Thanks

About the Ads

ApothRM

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
Miami
Visit site
Status
Pharmacist
Although I'm not currently pursuing it, a few of my fellow classmates are and they seem to think it is completely doable..

pharmagirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
I definitely think it would be difficult, but I'm sure you could do it. Time management, of course, is the key.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
gone to seed
Status
Pharmacist
Aznfarmerboi said:
Why not check out our faqs or post in pre pharmacy forum? If it is not doable. . . why would they offer it in the first place? :rolleyes:
This is not a common question, so it is not included in the FAQ.

It is a pre-pharm advising question, though, so I'm moving it to pre-pharmacy. Pharmacy students who wish to answer PPAQ's do visit both forums.

- Anna :)

DHG

15+ Year Member
Mar 11, 2005
Northwest. Waaaaaay northwest.
Status
Pharmacist
nderwater, I am planning on doing this also...
Do you remember the secretary at Mercer? The really nice (very short) lady? I was talking to her when I was there, she said her daughter was doing the PharmD/MBA there and said it was not much of a problem, I think her daughter was a P3 or P4 now? It involves some extra summer classes, and several of the Pharmacy classes count towards the MBA as well... they did suggest that you take whatever you can as far as prereqs before you start... that will make your tuition total cheaper because you'd be taking them as an undergrad instead of as a professional student, and it will take you less time once you get in... I'm planning to take several business type prereqs here at home before I start school... Most of the MBA prereqs are similar from school to school... stuff like Econ, Business Stats, Accounting, etc. I hope some current MBA/PharmD's post to this thread too...

ndearwater

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
DHG said:
nderwater, I am planning on doing this also...
Do you remember the secretary at Mercer? The really nice (very short) lady? I was talking to her when I was there, she said her daughter was doing the PharmD/MBA there and said it was not much of a problem, I think her daughter was a P3 or P4 now? It involves some extra summer classes, and several of the Pharmacy classes count towards the MBA as well... they did suggest that you take whatever you can as far as prereqs before you start... that will make your tuition total cheaper because you'd be taking them as an undergrad instead of as a professional student, and it will take you less time once you get in... I'm planning to take several business type prereqs here at home before I start school... Most of the MBA prereqs are similar from school to school... stuff like Econ, Business Stats, Accounting, etc. I hope some current MBA/PharmD's post to this thread too...
Yeah I remember her :) Mary Ellen Sikking. That sounds pretty good... I want to find out everything I can now, before I start taking the pre-reqs. One of 4 pre-reqs I would need, I have covered since I've taken Micro and Macroeconomics. I just don't want to start this and then I have problems keeping up with my pharmacy classes. But from the feedback I've gotten so far- it shouldn't be too time consuming. Good luck and PM if you want! :)

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2004
Squint your eyes and look closer.
Status
Pharmacist
We actually just had a two-hour lecture today on SU's PharmD/MBA, with guest speakers who are graduates of the dual program. You'll have that lecture as part of your curriculum next year, too. Also, you can't apply for the MBA program until the end of your first year, so you have a while to learn about it and ponder over it. :)

ndearwater

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
Shenandoah requires a bachelor's degree for the MBA and a small set of pre-reqs as well.

About the Ads