Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Pharm.D./MBA

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by ndearwater, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I'm considering pursuing a joint Pharm.D/MBA while in pharmacy school. Can anyone share their experiences or offer advice regarding such programs? Is it doable as far as course load? Do you have time to study for pharmacy classes and business?
    Thanks for any advice guys!
    PS I'm sure others have asked the same question but Search Still Disabled. :laugh:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Aznfarmerboi

Aznfarmerboi Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Why not check out our faqs or post in pre pharmacy forum? If it is not doable. . . why would they offer it in the first place? :rolleyes:

4. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I know the basic info I just wanted to hear some feedback from students currently pursuing both degrees. I don't think pre-pharmacy will have that kind of info.
    Thanks

5. ApothRM

ApothRM Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Although I'm not currently pursuing it, a few of my fellow classmates are and they seem to think it is completely doable..

6. pharmagirl

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I definitely think it would be difficult, but I'm sure you could do it. Time management, of course, is the key.

7. bananaface

bananaface Pharmacy Supernerd
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This is not a common question, so it is not included in the FAQ.

It is a pre-pharm advising question, though, so I'm moving it to pre-pharmacy. Pharmacy students who wish to answer PPAQ's do visit both forums.

- Anna :)

8. DHG

DHG Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    nderwater, I am planning on doing this also...
    Do you remember the secretary at Mercer? The really nice (very short) lady? I was talking to her when I was there, she said her daughter was doing the PharmD/MBA there and said it was not much of a problem, I think her daughter was a P3 or P4 now? It involves some extra summer classes, and several of the Pharmacy classes count towards the MBA as well... they did suggest that you take whatever you can as far as prereqs before you start... that will make your tuition total cheaper because you'd be taking them as an undergrad instead of as a professional student, and it will take you less time once you get in... I'm planning to take several business type prereqs here at home before I start school... Most of the MBA prereqs are similar from school to school... stuff like Econ, Business Stats, Accounting, etc. I hope some current MBA/PharmD's post to this thread too...

9. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Yeah I remember her :) Mary Ellen Sikking. That sounds pretty good... I want to find out everything I can now, before I start taking the pre-reqs. One of 4 pre-reqs I would need, I have covered since I've taken Micro and Macroeconomics. I just don't want to start this and then I have problems keeping up with my pharmacy classes. But from the feedback I've gotten so far- it shouldn't be too time consuming. Good luck and PM if you want! :)

10. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  11. Glycerin

Glycerin Commercially Unavailable
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    We actually just had a two-hour lecture today on SU's PharmD/MBA, with guest speakers who are graduates of the dual program. You'll have that lecture as part of your curriculum next year, too. Also, you can't apply for the MBA program until the end of your first year, so you have a while to learn about it and ponder over it. :)

12. Shooto2000

Shooto2000 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Is it required you have a bachelors degree before applying to a Pharmd/MBA program? :)

13. ultracet

ultracet 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

not here
    they just require you have x # of credit hours

14. ndearwater

ndearwater SDN Donor
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Shenandoah requires a bachelor's degree for the MBA and a small set of pre-reqs as well.