Pharm. D transfer question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buhrock

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When a program says that they only have room for x amount of transfer students, what does this mean? Does this mean students who are already in a pharmacy school and have started pharmacy school courses or does this mean students who are completing pre reqs?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the answer to your question depends on the program.

Most pharma programs (4 or 3 year programs) require prereqs to be completed before applying to the pharma program. So a 1st year student in this sort of program would already have several years of undergrad / prereq work done and be starting on a program specifically to be a pharmacist. Transfer students in this case would mean students who have completed some part of a pharmacy program elsewhere and would be applying for advanced standing (i.e., entering as if 2nd year towards a 4 year program).

Some pharma programs ("0-6" / 6 year programs) include prereqs to the pharmacy portion of the program during the first few years. In this case, a 1st year student would be completely green - no college work necessary prior to applying. A transfer student in this case would also be applying for advanced standing, but it would depend on how far into the process the student is as to whether they are taking what would be considered prereqs elsewhere (usually, years 1 & 2 are what would be considered prereqs for the other programs). As I understand, though, 0-6 programs do not take many transfers at all.

TL;DR: Most programs require prereqs to be completed before applying, so a transfer student would be someone already in a pharmacy program elsewhere. A new applicant would be someone who only has the prereqs done, but no pharmacy school classes yet.