SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

pharm sallary

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Lisochka, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2003
    I have read yesterday here on the forum that a person with pharm. +MBA degree earns about 150K
    I was surprised, because I have looked at sallary dat com and pharmacy managers in hospitals or pharm. companies earn about 110K (it is a limit in may states)
    Where do people get that information about 150K?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SCCpharm

SCCpharm 10+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Cali
    Not all pharmacy managers have a MBA degree.

They probably get that information from friends/family/rumors.

4. pmp85

pmp85 5+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Dirty Jersey
    As a previous corporate executive within the pharmaceutical industry, my experience tells me that a PharmD + MBA combo could yield a substantial salary (starting upwards of 200K). Seasoned PharmD/R.Ph.'s seem to be already flooding the industry by offering ideal consultation in drug marketing, packaging, dosage, clinical administration, etc. Let alone the fact that, a PharmD + MBA combination is ideal for executive management of a pharmaceutical company. Just as an example (this is what is motivating me), my previous boss (CFO of a tiny company) made 300-350k in salary--this does not include 30% of his base salary in stock options at a substantially reduced price, trips, cars, etc.

You decide. My experience serves me just in stating that big money is not in research or behind the pharmacy counter--its in executive salaries.

I have previously commented about my personal career path--I will be to pursuing both a PharmD and an MBA. Please feel free to view my previous posts.

5. doublehh03

doublehh03 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 8, 2005
    obviously execs are gonna make more money. they have more responsibilities. it's a big commitment that you have to take.

6. Leb

Leb 2+ Year Member

Feb 27, 2007
    What about the starting salary of a PharmD/PhD graduate if working in a pharmacuetical company? And what are the advantages of having a pharmD along with a PhD if a person wants to work in a pharmaceutical company?

7. Lisochka

Lisochka Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2003
    thank you guys for your answers, especially to pmp85 :)

8. pmp85

pmp85 5+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2007
    Dirty Jersey
    Very welcome. :)

9. sellindrugz

sellindrugz 2+ Year Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I am also considering obtaining an MBA, but plan to do so at a school separate from where I get my PharmD. My question is, does the reputation of the school you get your PharmD effect your chance of getting into a competetive MBA program or should I just choose the one that is in-state as it's cheaper (Idaho State)? Ideally, I will work a few years after graduating with a PharmD, travel a bit, and then regroup and enter into the best MBA I can.

Comments?

10. terse

terse Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Seems like the best way since where you go for your MBA matters a lot (unlike where you go for your pharmD). The advice I've been given is that you should go to a top 20 school, or don't even go at all.

11. doublehh03

doublehh03 Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 8, 2005
    i think where u go for your pharmD will be important in a few yrs when the supply for pharmacist saturates. if you plan to go into retail, that may not be the case. but if you want to apply for residencies or higher learning, i think where you go is critical.

it wouldn't help when you apply for your MBA too.

12. teelove2ball

teelove2ball 2+ Year Member

Feb 20, 2007
    kansas city,mo
    so with a bs in pharmaceuticals and a mba can you still reach that salary as an exec that your talkin about.

13. teelove2ball

Feb 20, 2007
    kansas city,mo
    so with a bs in pharmaceuticals and a mba can you still reach that salary as an exec that your talkin about.

14. teelove2ball

Feb 20, 2007
    kansas city,mo

15. sellindrugz

Apr 4, 2007
    It sounds like it won't matter too much where I get my PharmD as long as I'm sure it is a good program with competetive students etc, and that the important thing is to get the MBA at a very competetive school (this was my suspicion before asking). Thanks for the comments!

16. myliham

myliham Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 18, 2006
    I am also thinking about getting my MBA along with my PharmD. Do people recommend to do MBA after working in the pharmacy world or should I just get a dual degree?

17. Kay51

Kay51 2+ Year Member

Apr 16, 2007
    North Carolina
    Do all schools offer the MBA with the pharmacy degree ..and how much longer does it take?

18. sellindrugz

Apr 4, 2007
    myliham - this is posted in the very thread you are asking it in: read the thread.

Kay51 - Depends on the school. I would look at the schools you are interested in and find out on their websites.