Status
Not open for further replies.

BC_89

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to get into a PharmD program with cGPA of 2.7? Given I have a Bachelors Of Chemistry Degree. I’m thinking about doing post-baccalaureate to boost it.

What is your overall sGPA? Of that, I'd imagine you have a few upper science courses beyond the prerequisites such as inorganic and physical chemistry with a possible research component (all of which is very rigorous and time consuming courses).

Have you taken the PCAT? Have you worked as a technician while in your schooling? I'd first recommend you to read the following thread and sub-forum to help evaluate your decision for pharmacy:

Job Saturation: Is Pharmacy Worth It? Here's What You Need to Know

Job Market

After your own diligent research, if you still decide on pharmacy, I strongly recommend you score as high as possible on the PCAT. If it turns out your science GPA is at or above a 3.0 I'd apply broadly to accredited public programs starting with the ones you would get instate tuition or instate tuition "cost."

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible, but the minimum GPA is set mainly because everyone's GPA usually trends down during pharmacy school.

Overall, pharmacy is not as theoretically difficult as the prerequisite portion, but there are specific subjects such as physical pharmacy (pharmaceutics) and kinetics which are as or more demanding in terms of new material presented. The four basic chemistry classes (2 semesters of Inorganic/General and Organic each) and sometimes Analytical/Instrumental Analysis are basically used. If there is poor performance in the upper level classes in chemistry and the sGPA is low (which I infer from from cGPA), you can possibly get into a private school, but you would be likely be marginal student to possibly a dismissal risk if your academic performance does not substantially improve. The curriculum is much more faster paced even if the subject matter is more or less at equal difficulty. You would be taking a minimum of 15 quarter/semester units and usually closer to 20 a term (as in, you are in class or lab for 20 hours a week).

Besides the career issues with saturation, if you do not have a reasonable aptitude for Chemistry, pharmacy really is not a good choice for a major.

Status
Not open for further replies.