mystiqx

~M
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2005
New York
Status
Hey everyone,
in light of my sometimes obsessive nature when i really really want something, i shall continue to obsessess about pharm school and ask another bazzare question, and hope i get some replys, so....

For those of you who are already first years, or completed first year,or in some year of pharmacy school, what do you think of your professors? Would you compare them to undergrad? For example, my science professors, well chemistry professors for that matter, weren't very good teachers, and their grasp on the english language was not that great, and i downright couldn't understand a word they were saying, so what i am asking is, do you find you understand your professors? do they teach you the material or do you have to teach yourself? do you get the feeling that your instructor would rather be somewhere else (i.e researching) than teaching you?

I know i should probably post this on the pharmacy students section, but oh well i figure some of us pre-pharm prospects would like to know anyway....

I appreciate all feed back, especially those attending U Maryland and UCSF....

~M :idea:

ultracet

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Visit site
Status
I don't know anything about the schools you are talking about.

But at my school I only had one professor which english was not his first language.

There are some bad teachers but there are some good ones as well...

At this point they really expect you to be able to teach yourself quite a bit because as they say "there is no way we could possibly cover everything you need to know in an hour or two of class time"

I attend a private school so teaching is first for most professors and research is something they are required to do.

I attended a large public university for my undergrad and have found that while my yes my instructors here are much better i am expected to learn more on my own because of the shear volume of material necessary.

blueclassring

10+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2005
Status
Pharmacist
As a chemical engineering student at UCLA, I had some really bad professors in the major. Most of them read straight from the book, so going to class was a waste of time. I have heard the same about pharmacy school. It's pretty sad since your paying all that money to be read to. Also, the concepts were very abstract so with no further explanation, going to class did not help. I suspect it is because most of these people are focused on doing research and find teaching a distraction.

Krismeese

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2004
Status
Pharmacy Student
I had a completely different experience in ChE undergrad, all of my professors, except maybe 1 or 2, were amazing, even though several were non-native, and you could really tell that they would do whatever they could to help you learn the material. I am hoping that pharm school professors will be the same, albeit there is definitely a much larger volume of material.

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Status
Pharmacist
In pharmacy school I have had a few professors who didn't speak very good english but they try and by now I'm pretty good at understanding different dialects (I had quite a few foreign professors in undergrad). It's like any school, some professors are great and others aren't as great. So far I've had much better professors overall than in undergrad. I know at my school it's quite prestigious to be teaching in professional schools and most of my professors are very very knowledgeable. Also, even with some of the bad professors that I've had I feel like I've learned a great deal last semester!

Tuck

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2004
Status
It is somewhat hard to compare the two. A great deal of the material covered in pharmacy school is just simply not very difficult. As a result, the teachers really don't have to be that great. However, while there is not a lot of difficult material, the amount of material presented in comparison to undergrad is vastly greater. In undergrad professors tend to teach at the dummy level. ie. they are basically covering things slow enough that those in the bottom fifth of the class can keep up and pass the class. In pharmacy school, the caliber of student is generally much higher and as a result a lot of the material, especially non-technical material, is covered quite rapidly. If you tend to be someone who studies all the material the night before the test (like I did) instead of keeping up with it regularly, then you might feel overwhelmed.

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
Trancelucent1 said:
Also, even with some of the bad professors that I've had I feel like I've learned a great deal last semester!
Dr. Sullivan, I presume?

Trancelucent1

Gator Girl :)
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2004
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Status
Pharmacist
dgroulx said:
Dr. Sullivan, I presume?
Ding Ding Ding...unfortunately I already had Biochem with an even worse professor (I know it's hard to imagine!). Luckily we don't have him anymore! I don't know why he keeps teaching I'm sure most of his evals are horrid. I know I wrote him a very informative one :smuggrin: