Pharm Tech at Wal-Mart

Started by jessicab
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jessicab

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying for a pharm tech job at Wal-Mart this week and I wanted to know if anybody else worked or is working for them. I have heard alot of bad things about Wal-Mart but never the pharmacy. I also was not sure if they allow their pharm techs to work full time and have benefits?
 
jessicab said:
I am applying for a pharm tech job at Wal-Mart this week and I wanted to know if anybody else worked or is working for them. I have heard alot of bad things about Wal-Mart but never the pharmacy. I also was not sure if they allow their pharm techs to work full time and have benefits?

I started out at Wal-Mart Pharmacy in 1997. Then, 28 hours were considered full-time, so they made sure to schedule us for 27.5 hours. 😉 I think this has changed, though. According to my sister who still works at the same pharmacy, 34 hours/week is now considered full-time, and she works more than that. I don't know if all tech are allowed full-time positions. It probably varies from store to store.

I worked there for 2.5 years, beginning as a clerk (running the register and zoning) for about 3 months. One day, our only tech for the day called out sick, and I was given a "crash course" in how to do tech work. From that point on, I became a tech and gradually became proficient in many duties required of technicians.

While I won't lie and say I loved Wal-Mart or working in a retail setting, I learned a vast amount there. If I had to do it over again, just for the experience and knowledge, I would. I can't say now, though, that I'd ever want to work in a retail setting again. Who knows? Perhaps one day I'll bump my head, and retail will be the only thing on my mind. 😛

Hope this helps. :luck:
 
FutureRxGal said:
I started out at Wal-Mart Pharmacy in 1997. Then, 28 hours were considered full-time, so they made sure to schedule us for 27.5 hours. 😉 I think this has changed, though. According to my sister who still works at the same pharmacy, 34 hours/week is now considered full-time, and she works more than that. I don't know if all tech are allowed full-time positions. It probably varies from store to store.

I worked there for 2.5 years, beginning as a clerk (running the register and zoning) for about 3 months. One day, our only tech for the day called out sick, and I was given a "crash course" in how to do tech work. From that point on, I became a tech and gradually became proficient in many duties required of technicians.

While I won't lie and say I loved Wal-Mart or working in a retail setting, I learned a vast amount there. If I had to do it over again, just for the experience and knowledge, I would. I can't say now, though, that I'd ever want to work in a retail setting again. Who knows? Perhaps one day I'll bump my head, and retail will be the only thing on my mind. 😛

Hope this helps. :luck:

FutureRxGal,

I thought of working as a pharmacy clerk at my local Wal-Mart too. What do you suggest to get in? Should I walk straight up to the pharmacist and ask if I can work as a clerk? What's the best approach, or the one that you used?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
JD_USD said:
FutureRxGal,

I thought of working as a pharmacy clerk at my local Wal-Mart too. What do you suggest to get in? Should I walk straight up to the pharmacist and ask if I can work as a clerk? What's the best approach, or the one that you used?

I knew someone who worked in the pharmacy, and she let me know when there was an opening. If I were you, I'd go in and ask to speak with the manager. Ask he/she directly if there are any openings, and if you get a chance, explain that you are a pre-pharmacy student.
 
I, too, worked as a clerk at Wal-Mart. However, when we got busy, I would help fill. I learned a lot about pharmacy operations (and dealing with difficult customers) while working there. It was overall a good experience for me. I'd recommend it. Just be prepared to be a store tour guide...."Where's Layaway? The nearest restroom? Where do I find lightbulbs?"...etc. etc...you work in the pharmacy, but people automatically assume you know the store inside & out. LOL. I'm sure it's the same way in all retail settings.
 
What is the difference in a clerk and a tech? Just the title or is there a real difference? What do they make compared to the techs if there is a difference?
 
jessicab said:
What is the difference in a clerk and a tech? Just the title or is there a real difference? What do they make compared to the techs if there is a difference?

As a clerk, I was able to obtain patient info and new prescriptions from patients to give to a tech or a pharmacist, answer phones, zone the aisles, and run the cash register.

As a tech, I was able to do all of the above, in addition to input and fill prescriptions, order medications, make compounds, etc.
 
The benefits at Wal-Mart stink so badly that they are not worth paying the premium. The deductible is so fat that the plan is basically only useful if you have a chronic disease requiring lots of medication and or doctor's visits. They will probably underpay you and treat you like crap, too. The computer system is nice, though.

Wal-Mart has an electronic drug selection system approved by our state Board of Pharmacy which lets a clerk/pharmacy assistant count and pour prescriptions.
 
i did a rotation there last jan....

i didn't care for it but that was mainly the pharmacist's fault....

i'm sure if you got a good rph then it wouldn't be that bad...