pharm tech job problems, annoyed coworker, want to quit..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pharmchick21

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i am student taking 21 credit current semester. I am starting to hate my tech job for following reasons:

I only work 4-8 hours / week so i always have trouble with insurance issues /sig codes. Whenever i learn something new insurance stuff, i forget if i don't repeat that again. This has started to annoy my manager and other techs.They insisted me to work more but i can't so they are pissed and i can see in their behavior. I think they
secretly want me to quit and staff pharmacist recently from out of no where said " how its difficult for me to
remember different stuff when i am barely there" Another tech started telling me that i should know all this
since i am there from Sep. In my defense, this people can't see that i am barely there so chances that i don't
get to learneverything in 4 hours and i am human i sometimes forget. So far i haven't made any mistakes.. I
work as fast as i can and always being productive , always try to find something when its slow and everyone
is on phone.But it seems like they secretly want me to leave. I like company but don't like my coworkers, only
reason I am keeping this job because i will need internship if i were to start pharmacy school upcoming fall.
I am already exhausted from school and then when i am work i have to deal with this..

Should i quit or stick around??/
 
Last edited:
I kinda have the same problem right now lol. I gave in and started to work 8 hours even though I don't really want to. But until I can find another job, I don't want to quit. You should find a new job and hang on in the meantime.
 
Hey don't give up. I know it can be hard at first. I had the same problem with trying to remember what to do for each insurance reject also but it gets better. For sig codes, just memorize the basic ones, I don't type with with codes I free text everything.

Don't let the negative comments get to you. Every person there has had to have someone teach them.

Feel free to PM me any questions.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's normal that you don't remember everything when you're only there for 4 hours a week. However, I can also understand why your coworkers are annoyed. Retail is a stressful field, so most likely they're already stressed over other things. Whenever you ask for help, it only slows them down even more.

If anything, your manager made the mistake of hiring someone new who can only be there for 4 hours per week.

If you want to do well, you should put in at least 16 hours per week. If you can't do that, you're better off focusing on school first and then coming back to work full time.
 
I'm sorry, but your pharmacy team is a bunch of *****s if they're getting pissed off at you not being able to correct insurance issues considering how little you work. Insurance, hands down, is one of the most difficult and ambiguous parts of retail pharmacy to understand so don't feel bad if you don't have a clue. Just to give you an idea, I didn't start to get the hang of insurance until my 1500th hour at work.

Moving on...I actually went through the same exact thing when I first started out. I had little/no idea what I was doing and any question I asked would have gotten the techs to roll their eyes or make snarky comments about me. Best piece of advice I can give you is to write everything down in a notebook and bring it with you to work. Jot down notes on what you need to do in each of the queues. If they make fun of you for doing that then ignore them. Do what you need to do to understand the workflow. Ask your manager for a list of the sig codes and commit them to memory on your own time.

Lastly, and sorry to sound like a dick, but you need to pull more hours than what you're doing right now. Shoot for at least 15-20 hours a week. You're going to need to make sacrifices in this less-than-stellar job market if you want a real chance at a job years down the line.
 
What are your interests in terms of area of practice after you become a pharmacist?

I can't emphasize enough how much having retail experience will help, whether you end up in acute care or ambulatory care or managed care, but if say, you're interested in doing acute care in the future, maybe you could find a hospital job instead? If understanding the idiosyncrasies of billing insurance in retail settings won't help you in your mission to become an acute care pharmacist, then a hospital techinician job may suit you better.

I don't blame you on having trouble with insurance, but if you are a technician, that is something that you will be expected to know in retail. Everyone will be busy as heck, so you will be expected to pull your load and not ask the same questions over. When someone helps you and shows you how to handle an issue, take notes if you have to so that you will not have to ask someone else when it comes up again. Also, time management is paramount as a pharmacy student. It will be no different if and when you're a pharmacy student and have a much more intense workload that you have to juggle with a job.
 
Hey don't give up. I know it can be hard at first. I had the same problem with trying to remember what to do for each insurance reject also but it gets better. For sig codes, just memorize the basic ones, I don't type with with codes I free text everything.

Don't let the negative comments get to you. Every person there has had to have someone teach them.

Feel free to PM me any questions.

I already know basic sig codes, i have issues with inhales or any stuff that needs to be mixed .. I wish i could free text but my pharmacist and techs don't like it , i always gets called on for that..
 
It's normal that you don't remember everything when you're only there for 4 hours a week. However, I can also understand why your coworkers are annoyed. Retail is a stressful field, so most likely they're already stressed over other things. Whenever you ask for help, it only slows them down even more.

If anything, your manager made the mistake of hiring someone new who can only be there for 4 hours per week.

If you want to do well, you should put in at least 16 hours per week. If you can't do that, you're better off focusing on school first and then coming back to work full time.
Our store is slow..only "sometimes" we get busy..they are behaving that on purpose so i quit...
 
I kinda have the same problem right now lol. I gave in and started to work 8 hours even though I don't really want to. But until I can find another job, I don't want to quit. You should find a new job and hang on in the meantime.
I am going to do either of this :
1) quit and start fresh in summer with new pharmacy job since i will done with school
2) if i got in pharmacy school, i will start looking for intern position after first semester..
 
I am going to do either of this :
1) quit and start fresh in summer with new pharmacy job since i will done with school
2) if i got in pharmacy school, i will start looking for intern position after first semester..

If you get into pharmacy school, start looking RIGHT AWAY. Do not wait until after 1st semester. Opportunities quickly diminish with time and your classmates/students from other schools will be ahead of you and picked up the best jobs by then.
 
If you get into pharmacy school, start looking RIGHT AWAY. Do not wait until after 1st semester. Opportunities quickly diminish with time and your classmates/students from other schools will be ahead of you and picked up the best jobs by then.

I agree.. The reason i said to wait until end of first semester to feel how pharm school is...i only applied to one school which is MWU- glendale ( 3 year ), i am kinda afraid of their accelearated program.. But can i intern in hospital or any other place except retail in my first year??? how's job opportunities in mail order for pharmacist?
 
Thank you guys for your responses!

i really really need your advice on this:

So this has been going for while but recently i couldnt take it any more so last week i told my pharmacy manager that i wanted to quit and gave my two weeks but then i thought about it and decided to stick around, so i told manager that i don't want to quit ( i know thats not professional, i feel so dumb for doing it).. Now my manager ignores my emails, she even rejected my request of covering extra shifts, coworkers are being bitchy...i so want to quit..but i can't because of my stupid mistake..I guess i have wait a month to do it. I understand working in pharmacy is always plus but i think i would be better off commiting to school right now, my work needs someone who can commit more hours..

When can i let my manger know that i want to quit, there is no going back this time!!
 
I agree.. The reason i said to wait until end of first semester to feel how pharm school is...i only applied to one school which is MWU- glendale ( 3 year ), i am kinda afraid of their accelearated program.. But can i intern in hospital or any other place except retail in my first year??? how's job opportunities in mail order for pharmacist?

Get a hospital job if you can, unless you know you want to do retail. It is easier to move from hospital to retail, but much harder the other way around. In addition, there are much less hospital jobs, relatively speaking, so the sooner you apply, the better. Yes, you do want to grasp your ability to handle schoolwork, but the longer you wait, the more disadvantaged you will be in finding a position. My advice is work harder and time manage better than you have ever done before as a P1. If you cannot handle an internship and schoolwork concurrently in P1, it will be difficult to pass P3 and P4, so learn how to time manage early.

As for your current job, the only advice I can give is to do the best job that you can. You've already kind of burned the bridge by turning in a notice of resignation. I know you're thinking it would be better off committing to school, but as I mentioned, if you cannot handle schoolwork and your job concurrently now, how will you handle it during pharmacy school when the workload is much more difficult? Think about that. It will only get harder. It will be important to factor that into your decision to enter pharmacy school.

Should you decide to quit your job, that's up to you. But working in a pharmacy is an important experience to have. Take away from it what you can. Fix your deficiencies like having to ask the same questions repeatedly. You've been there for 6 months - I am not being mean, but from a professional standpoint, it doesn't sound like you're performing to par in what you're expected to know after half a year. Do not make excuses for yourself - Yes, you're tired from school; don't forget that your co-workers are relying on you. It will be the same way in pharmacy school. You will be exhausted from school, but do not forget the people who are relying on you. Professionalism is paramount. You cannot take it easy at work just because you have an exam tomorrow. You have to report to work, do a good job, go home, then study for your exam after. Pharmacy is not an easy profession. Either decide that you want to quit now or try to salvage what you can and perform to the best of your ability is my take on your situation.
 
Get a hospital job if you can, unless you know you want to do retail. It is easier to move from hospital to retail, but much harder the other way around. In addition, there are much less hospital jobs, relatively speaking, so the sooner you apply, the better. Yes, you do want to grasp your ability to handle schoolwork, but the longer you wait, the more disadvantaged you will be in finding a position. My advice is work harder and time manage better than you have ever done before as a P1. If you cannot handle an internship and schoolwork concurrently in P1, it will be difficult to pass P3 and P4, so learn how to time manage early.

As for your current job, the only advice I can give is to do the best job that you can. You've already kind of burned the bridge by turning in a notice of resignation. I know you're thinking it would be better off committing to school, but as I mentioned, if you cannot handle schoolwork and your job concurrently now, how will you handle it during pharmacy school when the workload is much more difficult? Think about that. It will only get harder. It will be important to factor that into your decision to enter pharmacy school.

Should you decide to quit your job, that's up to you. But working in a pharmacy is an important experience to have. Take away from it what you can. Fix your deficiencies like having to ask the same questions repeatedly. You've been there for 6 months - I am not being mean, but from a professional standpoint, it doesn't sound like you're performing to par in what you're expected to know after half a year. Do not make excuses for yourself - Yes, you're tired from school; don't forget that your co-workers are relying on you. It will be the same way in pharmacy school. You will be exhausted from school, but do not forget the people who are relying on you. Professionalism is paramount. You cannot take it easy at work just because you have an exam tomorrow. You have to report to work, do a good job, go home, then study for your exam after. Pharmacy is not an easy profession. Either decide that you want to quit now or try to salvage what you can and perform to the best of your ability is my take on your situation.

Thank you again for posting. I just received invitation for interview from pharmacy school. Honestly, when i saw that email i was excited but your post has given me opportunity to pause and think about my decision to going in pharmacy in this market. i really need to reconsider things before going in 200k debt.

I agree with what you said about what's expected at work and i have no problem doing it but its my coworker behavior that has prevented me in doing well. Anyways, i know i am bound to meet such people in my career regardless of whatever field i go to. And It's not that i have bad work ethic. In fact, one of my LOR is from director of pharmacy from hospital where i volunteered. I know they want to hire me as tech but i want to keep this opportunity for future.

Anyways, is there any job where pharmacist can work solo?? Sorry, my post might seem all over place..still in shock about interview..
 
My store would never put someone who works so little on insurance and entering data. You should really focus on ringing up patients, doing inventory, dispensing etc. If they are upset that you are backing up the data queue, they should be upset with themselves for putting you there in the first place.

Even interning for several years now, I never know when the User ID on some insurance cards needs to be truncated several letters in, when group identifiers are something ridiculous and listed nowhere on the card, when customers bring in 5 different discount cards and beg us to try each one (also, don't take discount cards. Our store set a bad policy.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My store would never put someone who works so little on insurance and entering data. You should really focus on ringing up patients, doing inventory, dispensing etc. If they are upset that you are backing up the data queue, they should be upset with themselves for putting you there in the first place.

Even interning for several years now, I never know when the User ID on some insurance cards needs to be truncated several letters in, when group identifiers are something ridiculous and listed nowhere on the card, when customers bring in 5 different discount cards and beg us to try each one (also, don't take discount cards. Our store set a bad policy.)

Actually i do everything: data, dispensing and insurance and release. Though i have yet to learn how to search patient insurance info. of gov. website and i haven't called insurance companies for any issues. pharmacy staff would still roll eyes if i was little stuck or delayed in some task. I was delayed only because another patient showed up and needed help but apparently staff/pharmacist cant see that. And we don't have any policy for discount card ..
 
Get a hospital job if you can, unless you know you want to do retail. It is easier to move from hospital to retail, but much harder the other way around. In addition, there are much less hospital jobs, relatively speaking, so the sooner you apply, the better. Yes, you do want to grasp your ability to handle schoolwork, but the longer you wait, the more disadvantaged you will be in finding a position. My advice is work harder and time manage better than you have ever done before as a P1. If you cannot handle an internship and schoolwork concurrently in P1, it will be difficult to pass P3 and P4, so learn how to time manage early.

As for your current job, the only advice I can give is to do the best job that you can. You've already kind of burned the bridge by turning in a notice of resignation. I know you're thinking it would be better off committing to school, but as I mentioned, if you cannot handle schoolwork and your job concurrently now, how will you handle it during pharmacy school when the workload is much more difficult? Think about that. It will only get harder. It will be important to factor that into your decision to enter pharmacy school.

Should you decide to quit your job, that's up to you. But working in a pharmacy is an important experience to have. Take away from it what you can. Fix your deficiencies like having to ask the same questions repeatedly. You've been there for 6 months - I am not being mean, but from a professional standpoint, it doesn't sound like you're performing to par in what you're expected to know after half a year. Do not make excuses for yourself - Yes, you're tired from school; don't forget that your co-workers are relying on you. It will be the same way in pharmacy school. You will be exhausted from school, but do not forget the people who are relying on you. Professionalism is paramount. You cannot take it easy at work just because you have an exam tomorrow. You have to report to work, do a good job, go home, then study for your exam after. Pharmacy is not an easy profession. Either decide that you want to quit now or try to salvage what you can and perform to the best of your ability is my take on your situation.

Well, i didn't quit.. Even worked with manager past few days.. I realized i have to keep this job for future opportunities and most importantly i need to learn as i am making career out of this.. Thanks for such motivating post!