pharm tech question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nehe87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys! I'm a freshman pre-pharmacy student, and I will be applying to pharmacy schools this coming fall. I have a question for those of you that have already applied in the past/are applying now. I'm interested in becoming a pharmacy technician, but I have two questions: 1)How does one go about doing this? I've heard you can take classes, but then I've also heard that's a waste of time and you should just study for the test and then take it. Advice, anyone? and 2) If I did this sometime in the next month or two, would that be looked at by pharm school as "too late" or do they just value the fact that you have experience? Of course, I want to do it regardless of that fact, but I just thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I studied for the PTCB exam from the books I got from Walgreens (my employer) and was able to pass the exam. I crammed for about 20 hours two days before, didn't know any of the brand/generics, and was able to pass. The books that I got were really good because most of the questions on the test were very similar to the ones I studied. Because I did well in the other sections, it compensated for my lack of knowledge on brand/generics. There were a lot of questions which required calculations and I think I got about 50% of those and still passed, somehow.

If you email me your address, I'll make you a copy of the practice exam questions I have.

I don't think it is too late for you to get your tech license so you should definitely do it. Good luck.

the exam is not that bad at all. I took some classes but then ended up thinking that those were a waste of time. Most of the stuff is things that you should already know or will learn about. The brand/generic part is also difficult unless you work in a pharmacy already or just memorize and memorize. THe test is given a few times a year and now i think that it is all computer based so that means more times it is offered. www.PTCB.org

Members don't see this ad :)
The steps you need to take to become a pharmacy technician vary from state to state. Depending on where you live the state board of pharmacy might license technicians or you might need to take the national certification exam. If you let us know what state you live in we might be able to send you in the right direction. However, since we don't know this important piece of information, we can point you in the right direction.

Certification does not equal experience, if you want experience find a position as a tech.

Thanks for the advice! I live in Texas, by the way. And of course, I would want to find a position as a tech, but I need the certification before I can do that. I've done some volunteer pharmacy work, but I just wanted to take it to the next level, if at all possible. Thanks again!

By the way, Jesterman, do you happen to remember the title of the books you used to study?