1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Pharm Tech

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Nguyen, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Nguyen

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. R2pharmD2

Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I've enjoyed working as a pharmacy tech, but the pay sucks. A good, experienced pharmacy tech is a huge asset to their pharmacy but that's rarely reflected in their pay. I could certainly survive on what I make as a pharm tech if I was working full time, but I'd have a hell of a time trying to retire or put my daughter through college.

4. armorking

armorking King of Iron Fist
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If you can find the job. I was surprised how difficult it was when I was applying. It took me 2 months and I only got the job with the help of a friend working retail.

For anyone reading this thread, definitely register with your state board of pharmacy AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!! Sometimes you need your registered tech/tech trainee number before jobs will even take a look at you. The process can take a while due to background checks so jump on it early if you are thinking about getting a tech job in the near future!

5. armorking

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I second this. It would be difficult to have a family with a paycheck that could not support them all. I think techs should be valued even more but that all depends on the big wigs point of view unfortunately.

6. Nguyen

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Tell me about it! I wasn't registered with my state board until my recent employer hired me as a pharmacy tech and said that in order to work as a pharmacy tech anywhere, you must be registered. I called every Walgreens/CVS/Target/Wal-Mart in my local area (roughly 25-30 stores), and they all rejected me due to little or no experience.

7. armorking

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    That is rough but fortunately you found a job! Congrats and good luck with everything!