1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Pharm Tech

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Nguyen, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Nguyen

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. R2pharmD2

Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    I've enjoyed working as a pharmacy tech, but the pay sucks. A good, experienced pharmacy tech is a huge asset to their pharmacy but that's rarely reflected in their pay. I could certainly survive on what I make as a pharm tech if I was working full time, but I'd have a hell of a time trying to retire or put my daughter through college.

4. armorking

armorking King of Iron Fist
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    If you can find the job. I was surprised how difficult it was when I was applying. It took me 2 months and I only got the job with the help of a friend working retail.

For anyone reading this thread, definitely register with your state board of pharmacy AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!!! Sometimes you need your registered tech/tech trainee number before jobs will even take a look at you. The process can take a while due to background checks so jump on it early if you are thinking about getting a tech job in the near future!

5. armorking

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I second this. It would be difficult to have a family with a paycheck that could not support them all. I think techs should be valued even more but that all depends on the big wigs point of view unfortunately.

6. Nguyen

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Tell me about it! I wasn't registered with my state board until my recent employer hired me as a pharmacy tech and said that in order to work as a pharmacy tech anywhere, you must be registered. I called every Walgreens/CVS/Target/Wal-Mart in my local area (roughly 25-30 stores), and they all rejected me due to little or no experience.

7. armorking

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    That is rough but fortunately you found a job! Congrats and good luck with everything!