pharm vs. family

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new2pharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
as a pharm with a family, do you find it hard to balance the two? do you ever have to miss any soccer games etc. because of work or is it pretty easy to maneuver your work schedule around?

Members don't see this ad.

To answer both of your posts, a large reason why there are (on average) more female pharmacy students than male students these days is because of the flexibility of the career. With any job that is open on evenings and weekends there are sure to be some conflicts with things like soccer games. But probably, for the most part, you will be able to still be active in your kids' lives. Lots of pharmacists work part time because it allows them to still make decent money and also be a mom and wife, etc.

You have to balance work and family with any job, but pharmacy is more flexible with scheduling as compared to most professions.

Members don't see this ad :)
First child was 6 weeks old when I started last year and it wasn't too hard to balance both, but since the wife stays home with her I figure my situation isn't much different than being a father with a day job. Now if I was a mother with a baby I seriously have no idea how I'd do things. Kudos to those who manage that successfully

it depends on where you work. i used to work at walgreens and they were a 24 hour store. i felt like i missed the first three years of my sons life. i worked 3 christmas in a row, i missed birthdays, holidays, ect... now i work at another chain pharmacy that is actually closed on holidays so its not so bad. but i do find that i still miss out on a lot. definatley not a 9 to 5 lifestyle. but not as bad as many other professions