Pharmaceutical/Biotechnology Industry after PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aandrew

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do pharmacy schools feel about students entering the pharmaceutical and/or biotechnology industry after obtaining their PharmD. Is it looked down upon? Is it considered selling out?

I'm asking because I am mainly interested going to pharmacy school to eventually reenter the biotech industry after further education. I am not too interested in community/retail pharmacy. I was wondering if that is OK to mention in the personal statement/interview.

I feel this would be great for schools with PharmD/MBA programs, but I am worried how schools without such programs will view my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Also are there any statistics about what field pharmacists choose to work in after graduation? Or can anyone share personal experiences related to this.

Thanks!

Who cares what they think :cool: Rutgers doesn't have a PharmD/MBA program, but the school is named after a former GSK CEO, Ernest Mario. Its not looked down upon here in the northeast, but maybe that's because of the huge number of biotech/big pharma in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Based on my experience, schools generally don't care but admissions committees do.

Admissions usually wants you to be a standard pharmacist (hospital or retail, doesn't matter) or to say that you are really fascinated by opportunities like residencies, clinical practice and MTM. Or whatever buzzwords are popular right now. Depending on the school you might even get bonus points for saying that you want to practice in some underserved community, eg Hickville, the Hood, or Podunk USA. Having actually spent time working in a pharmacy is also a huge plus. Remember that the mission of a pharmacy school is to train pharmacists, not businessmen, drug reps or researchers.

Once you are in pharmacy school no one will think less of you for wanting to head to industry.

Sadly, this is all school-dependent. Obviously schools that have ties to pharmaceutical companies (via fellowship, residencies or something else) would not look down on it at all. In fact, they'd probably like it that you're interested in it.

Here's the thing, those schools are in minority. The impression I get is that most pharmacy schools are really into "clinically pharmacy" and of course all schools have to support retail pharmacists since they constitute like 80% of the field. You should definately check out the school's website to see if any prominent faculty members have pharmaceutical industry experience/ties on their online resume/CV.

For the most part, I would say that you should phrase your interest in an industry-based career as more of a "potential" path you're interested, rather than a definitive decision because I do think there's a real risk of getting discriminated against if you do the latter.

FYI, I can recall several occasions where I've been having a very lively conversation with a clinical faculty member at my school about my potential career paths, only for the it to turn into awkward silence after mentioning my interests in industry.

Last edited:
In the UK, way back in the 60s, the Dean gave us an introductory lecture where he said that we should aim for academia, research, or industry. Community pharmacy should be left for the rest. Acting on his advice I did two years in academia and 30 years in industry and do not regret it in the slightest.
johnep

If you're interested in doing traditional bench research and want to work in a biotechnology company (e.g. on basic science, which is the cool stuff), then get a PhD. Even though there are some PharmD's working in biotech in California/New England states, the number of PhD's are far greater. The reason is because the PhD TRAINS you to be a researcher, you actually conduct your own independent experiments, write "practice" grants, and publish your findings in scientific journals. A PharmD is really lacking in terms of bench training or the thought processes of being a researcher. Trust me, it's one thing to be told how to do things, then it is to figure them out pretty much by yourself.

I'm sad to say that even though having a Master's degree in engineering or an MBA might put you at the top of that profession, a Master's degree in science doesn't amount to much in Biotechnology companies. You'll be paid a little more than the Bachelor degree holders (~35-60K depending where you live), but a PhD will boost you up to around $80-90K in some states (will be much higher in the New England states or in California where all the biotechnology/pharmaceutical firms are usually found).

If you're interested in doing clinical research or having flexibility, then a PharmD/PhD is what you would aim for. Again, there are people with just PharmD's in biotechnology companies, I did not say there weren't. However, the handful that I've encountered have training in a research setting whether they have Master's degree, or one was able to do a Post-doctorate (which is usually reserved for PhD's) after their PharmD for 2-4 years in order to get the necessary research training.

Let me reiterate though, that graduate school (e.g. for a PhD) is VERY DIFFERENT then any other professional school like optometry, dentistry, med. school, or pharmacy.

1.) The degree on average takes 5-8 years, depending on your program, depending on your mentor, depending on the luck of your project in getting great publishable AND REPEATABLE results, the impact factor of your research (from being not novel to amazingly novel). All other professional programs are traditionally planned for 4 years (unless you fail courses, and not including residencies or internships).
2.) The speed on which you graduate doesn't always depend on how hard you work (your initial project might not turn out how you wanted and you must start again on a new project).
3.) You write a thesis (known as the Preliminary-Qualifying Exam) during your 2nd year and defend it for 2-6 hours in front of a board of professors. If they like your idea, then you pass and are now considered a PhD candidate. If you fail, then you're given either a conditional pass (where they usually make you rewrite your entire thesis, or they assign you some additional graduate courses to make up your deficiencies) or a firm fail. Fail twice and you're kicked out of graduate school.
4.) You write a dissertation and defend it after your mentor and your graduate committee (which you choose during your 2nd year) near the end of the PhD.
5.) You MUST do a Post-doctorate after you attain your PhD (think of this as your residency) for 2-4 years prior to getting any sort of meaningful high paid position in Academia. You can also do this post-doctoral work in a university or a company setting.

Just my 2 cents.

PharmD the final frontier?

Last edited:
For admissions purposes, feel free to talk about your future career interests, but avoid denigrating any particular career path, e.g. retail. I know people who said bad things about retail during the interview and still got in, but it's something that you should avoid IMO.

I don't think the AdCom will look negatively on your industry interests but be prepared to justify why you want/need the PharmD for the career path you are choosing. The question of why not (fill in the blank) degree will probably arise if you say you want to pursue a PharmD so that you can go into industry.

Hey Meowphers, I copied your reply to my thread on further education as I think you give a good description of a PhD. Thanks bud.

My school encourages this.. profs have said repeatedly that at least 15% of the graduating classes will enter pharmaceutical, biotech or some other related form of industry to work. There's been plenty of guest lecturers from companies like Roche to talk to us.

Hey everyone, thanks for your replies. I guess the general consensus is to skirt the issue with the admissions committee, and to really tailor your answers for the school you are interviewing with.

MrMeowphers nailed it dead center; PharmD is not really tailored at all for the industrial sector of our field. If you're interested in pharma/biotech position, moreso in something technical, I want to say getting a PharmD is not the best option. I'm learning the hard realities of it right now; I was previously in retail and now working in pharma, but the position I'm in strictly deals with drug information and regulatory-type affairs. Trying to make the best of it, but definitely not my cup of tea...would definitely prefer a technical/manufacturing position instead (most likely I'm heading back to retail). Such positions are more for the engineer/MBA/PhDs.

Anyway, if you definitely have your heart set on pharmacy, I would follow everyone else's advice and just "tailor" your responses to each specific school you're applying to. If you still have your mind set on a technical/industrial career, I highly suggest looking elsewhere, i.e. masters degree or directly to a doctorate. Hope I'm not too cynical and goodluck!

Career in Biotechnology is a good option in India as the country has witnessed remarkable growth in biotechnology sector. India has become one of the best destinations for biotechnology industry due to good network of research laboratories, rich biodiversity, well developed base industries, rich agriculture sector and trained manpower. The biotechnology professionals can get good jobs in the pharmaceutical companies, agricultural, chemical and allied industries. They can get the employment in the areas of production, planning and management of bio processing industries.
biotechnology training india