Pharmaceutical Industry!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

npp71681

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I am applying for admission in 2005-2006 cycle. If I get accepted to pharmacy school after I graduate I want to work at either one of these settings(hospital or pharmaceutical company). Which is better to work at hospital or pharmaceutical companies(Pfizer, Merck, Johnson & Johnson)? I worked as a Pharmacy Technician at hospital, so I got to observe what Pharmacists does at hospital setting. But, I have never experienced pharmaceutical industry setting. So, I would like to know about Pharmacist's role(job duties) and their salary in pharmaceutical companies. Do they have Clinical Pharmacist jobs, Director of Pharmacy, etc...

Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Why you're not applying for this year entering class? :confused:

To get into a pharmaceutical industry, you would most likely start off doing one of 2 things: a medical information consultant or a pharmaceutical sales consultant...at least thats what this guy in Pfizer said..but there are pharmacists EVERYWHERE in the industry...I work there part-time and I've met ppl that range from lawyers to researchers to pharm sales consultants...etc...One of the guys is letting me visit NY headquarters so I can see what it's like for a pharmacist in an industry setting..ill let you kno how it goes if u want :)

wat pharm schools are u lookin at btw

npp71681 said:
Hi!

I am applying for admission in 2005-2006 cycle. If I get accepted to pharmacy school after I graduate I want to work at either one of these settings(hospital or pharmaceutical company). Which is better to work at hospital or pharmaceutical companies(Pfizer, Merck, Johnson & Johnson)? I worked as a Pharmacy Technician at hospital, so I got to observe what Pharmacists does at hospital setting. But, I have never experienced pharmaceutical industry setting. So, I would like to know about Pharmacist's role(job duties) and their salary in pharmaceutical companies. Do they have Clinical Pharmacist jobs, Director of Pharmacy, etc...

Thanx!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey afablej!

i am curious about what kind of role a pharmacist in a pharmaceutical setting plays, too. I used to do research at a pharmaceutical setting but realized i wanted more people interaction, so i applied/plan to apply to pharm school this upcoming fall (have to finish pre-reqs).

Do you mind sharing your impressions, esp. how much independence a pharmacist has? thanks :)

afablej said:
One of the guys is letting me visit NY headquarters so I can see what it's like for a pharmacist in an industry setting..ill let you kno how it goes if u want :)

yaa, I'll be more than happy to know about your visit to Pfizer's NY headquarters.

wat pharm schools are u lookin at btw

I'll apply to: University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
University of Texas-Austin
University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill

goheel said:
Why you're not applying for this year entering class? :confused:

Because I was not that much ready to take PCAT this year.

I do not know whole lot about the salary or the independence of a pharmacist in a pharma company, but I am starting to know a little more. There are alot of different roles a pharmacist can play with a Glaxo or Phizer, etc. There are medical liasons (spelling?), pharmacuetical sales or they also help with the manufacturing of the drug. During the trials the pharmacist can be responsible for certain trial sites and the looking over the data with the MD. They can get involved with regulatory affairs, which deals with submission of the necessary paper work to the FDA to get a drug through the phase I, II, III. With Regulatory Affairs in general I know that those w/o a PharmD, say only a Masters in Clinical Research make six figures with about 3-5 experience, so I am sure a PharmD would get atleast that. Also there is a role for the pharmacist in post-approval and/or marketing but would probably depend on the company.
I believe that in order to get involved with a pharma company after your 4 years of PharmD courses and your license, you will need to do a 2 year fellowship. I think this is the way it goes but I am not sure 100%. Gaining experience and getting your foot in the door at a pharma company is the best bet for a good job after your graduation. I know that pharmacist plays other roles in the industry but I am right now just not aware of them.

Hope this helps! Anyone with salary information about the industry, I am curious as well.

;) read the pfizer career guide to pharmacy, it's amazing and will definitely help you understand industry pharmacy..im not too sure about the independence of a pharmacist but it is a whole lotta responsibility...for example, i know someone who is on the Worldwide Lipitor Medical Team as a Pharmacist and he gets to actually do the before and afters of the Clinical trials that pharmDNC was talking about (Phase I, II, and III)..so he gets to help design the trials....work with regulatory affairs, and even ensure proper commercialization of the product with Marketing teams...He said that right now there aren't a lot of pharmacists on the team, but the company is realizing that having a drug expertise is an asset to the team and will start hiring more in the future....but yeah they make a ton of money lol...and if you're looking for a non 9-5 typical retail/hospital job, an industry is a great place to work....I'll def let you guys how the visit goes! :)
pharmDNC said:
I do not know whole lot about the salary or the independence of a pharmacist in a pharma company, but I am starting to know a little more. There are alot of different roles a pharmacist can play with a Glaxo or Phizer, etc. There are medical liasons (spelling?), pharmacuetical sales or they also help with the manufacturing of the drug. During the trials the pharmacist can be responsible for certain trial sites and the looking over the data with the MD. They can get involved with regulatory affairs, which deals with submission of the necessary paper work to the FDA to get a drug through the phase I, II, III. With Regulatory Affairs in general I know that those w/o a PharmD, say only a Masters in Clinical Research make six figures with about 3-5 experience, so I am sure a PharmD would get atleast that. Also there is a role for the pharmacist in post-approval and/or marketing but would probably depend on the company.
I believe that in order to get involved with a pharma company after your 4 years of PharmD courses and your license, you will need to do a 2 year fellowship. I think this is the way it goes but I am not sure 100%. Gaining experience and getting your foot in the door at a pharma company is the best bet for a good job after your graduation. I know that pharmacist plays other roles in the industry but I am right now just not aware of them.

Hope this helps! Anyone with salary information about the industry, I am curious as well.