Pharmacist or Pharmacologist- Higher Study & Career prospects for a Chemist having pharmaceutical experience.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Novanym

Reaction score
Dear good people, I am writing to ask for assistance in choosing a suitable field for my future career and higher study.

I have over 3 years of experience working in an R&D Analytical Department at a pharmaceutical company and I am pretty much familiar with HPLC, GC, Dissolution, Stability, method Development & Validation and with various analytical tests. Prior to this, I completed M.Sc. in Chemistry. However, I am going to immigrate to Canada from a south Asian country. I intend to enroll in a pharmacy/pharmaceutical course after reaching to Canada since getting the first job there is very difficult for new immigrants. But I am in dilemma in choosing appropriate field of study considering the future prospects in terms of job availability and career progression.

I sincerely request you to answer my following questions:

1. Pharmacist or pharmacologist- which one has better prospects in terms of job availability & salary?
2. Will a Masters in Pharmaceutical Science degree make me eligible to sit for PEBC exam to become a registered pharmacist (licensed)?
3. Which course/degree will be better- Post graduate diploma in QA & RA or Masters in Pharmaceutical Science.

I will be forever grateful to you all if you could please spare few minutes to guide me by answering the above questions.

Kind regards.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear good people, I am writing to ask for assistance in choosing a suitable field for my future career and higher study.

I have over 3 years of experience working in an R&D Analytical Department at a pharmaceutical company and I am pretty much familiar with HPLC, GC, Dissolution, Stability, method Development & Validation and with various analytical tests. Prior to this, I completed M.Sc. in Chemistry. However, I am going to immigrate to Canada from a south Asian country. I intend to enroll in a pharmacy/pharmaceutical course after reaching to Canada since getting the first job there is very difficult for new immigrants. But I am in dilemma in choosing appropriate field of study considering the future prospects in terms of job availability and career progression.

I sincerely request you to answer my following questions:

1. Pharmacist or pharmacologist- which one has better prospects in terms of job availability & salary?
2. Will a Masters in Pharmaceutical Science degree make me eligible to sit for PEBC exam to become a registered pharmacist (licensed)?
3. Which course/degree will be better- Post graduate diploma in QA & RA or Masters in Pharmaceutical Science.

I will be forever grateful to you all if you could please spare few minutes to guide me by answering the above questions.

Kind regards.
I would take the Masters in Pharmacology route or pharmaceutical science route. Getting a PharmD is not needed to what you are pursuing because the practice of pharmacy is either working for a retail chain verifying prescriptions, and giving flu shots at a CVS or grocery store or verifying orders answering phone calls in a hospital. Your route is more geared towards research in academia or Big Pharma industry. Masters in pharmacology is what I would recommend.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your guidance..
I would take the Masters in Pharmacology route or pharmaceutical science route. Getting a PharmD is not needed to what you are pursuing because the practice of pharmacy is either working for a retail chain verifying prescriptions, and giving flu shots at a CVS or grocery store or verifying orders answering phone calls in a hospital. Your route is more geared towards research in academia or Big Pharma industry. Masters in pharmacology is what I would recommend.
[/QUOTE
ffomuch dear for

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes you said it right, but is possible to become pharmacist for someone like me, who graduated in Chemistry then worked 3.5 years in a pharmaceutical R&D laboratory, by doing a masters in pharmaceutical science in Canada?
Your experience does not sound like it would qualify you for the PEBC as you are not actually a pharmacist in your home country.
lot

One more thing, is there any difference between masters in pharmaceutical science and masters in pharmacology?

One more thing, is there any difference between masters in pharmaceutical science and masters in pharmacology?
Masters in pharmacology is involved in researching drug targets for drugs with respect to different diseases. For example, researching drug targets for a possible antibiotic for skin infections or for a certain type of cancer.

Masters in pharmaceutical sciences involves researching on what type formulation can be used for a particular drug in order to increase therapeutic levels. For example, researching whether liposomal formulations for Vancomycin can be used to penetrate MRSA bacteria.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes you said it right, but is possible to become pharmacist for someone like me, who graduated in Chemistry then worked 3.5 years in a pharmaceutical R&D laboratory, by doing a masters in pharmaceutical science in Canada?

lot
Not Canadian, but as far as I can tell you would need to complete a Doctor of Pharmacy degree at one of the Canadian universities. Pharmacy and pharmaceutical science are closely related but not the same career path.

Not Canadian, but as far as I can tell you would need to complete a Doctor of Pharmacy degree at one of the Canadian universities. Pharmacy and pharmaceutical science are closely related but not the same career path.
Thanks a lot, sir. However, looking into perspective, it seems impossible for me to become a pharmacist at this stage, rather I should try to continue my career in the pharmaceutical field. In fact, it would be great if I get a chance to work in Regulatory Affairs at a pharmaceutical company.

Sir, I have looked into some programs in TIPT (Toronto Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology), there are some postgraduate courses focuses on different specific fields such as QA, QC, and RA. On the other hand, there are some universities that offer 2 yrs master's program in Pharmaceutical science. Sir, I sincerely request you to suggest that which course (PG diploma or Masters) should I enroll to get into the pharmaceutical industry, I mean which type of degree will offer better employment prospect.

Sir, please pardon me if I ask too many questions, but these answers bear great significance in shaping my future career and I don't find someone to guide me in this regard. Your help is highly appreciated.

Masters in pharmacology is involved in researching drug targets for drugs with respect to different diseases. For example, researching drug targets for a possible antibiotic for skin infections or for a certain type of cancer.

Masters in pharmaceutical sciences involves researching on what type formulation can be used for a particular drug in order to increase therapeutic levels. For example, researching whether liposomal formulations for Vancomycin can be used to penetrate MRSA bacteria.
Thank you so much, Sir for your wonderful reply. Sir, may I ask you a question. You said that you would prefer Pharmacology over pharmaceutical science, sir, was it due to the higher demand of this course or it attracts you? Sir, if you choose based on my interest then I would go for pharmaceutical science, but my primary objective to enroll in a course is to get better employment prospects.

Sir, I have looked into some programs in TIPT (Toronto Institute of Pharmaceutical Technology), there are some postgraduate courses focuses on different specific fields such as QA, QC, and RA. On the other hand, there are some universities that offer 2 yrs master's program in Pharmaceutical science. Sir, I sincerely request you to suggest that which course (PG diploma or Masters) should I enroll to get into the pharmaceutical industry, I mean which type of degree will offer better employment prospect.

Sir, please pardon me if I ask too many questions, but these answers bear great significance in shaping my future career and I don't find someone to guide me in this regard. Your help is highly appreciated.

Thank you so much, Sir for your wonderful reply. Sir, may I ask you a question. You said that you would prefer Pharmacology over pharmaceutical science, sir, was it due to the higher demand of this course or it attracts you? Sir, if you choose based on my interest then I would go for pharmaceutical science, but my primary objective to enroll in a course is to get better employment prospects.

I said that I would do Masters in pharmacology or pharmaceutics over getting a PharmD. Pharmacologist is not the same as Pharmacist. Pharmacist dispenses medications and verify’s prescriptions. A Pharmacologist does research on pharmacology or pharmaceutics for either academia or Big Pharma. Either Pharmacology or Pharmaceutics route is fine for Big Pharma. Do you what you are interested in and work to the top of the what you are interested in to make your self competitive for Big Pharma. Getting a PharmD. will be a waste of your time and money and it does not provide any advantage when applying Big Pharma industry positions compared to a Masters in Pharmacology or Pharmaceutics.

Dear RX1992 Sir,
Thank you so much for your time. Yes, it was my mistake, you said it right that you preferred doing Master's in Pharmacology/Pharmaceutics over PharmD.

Sir, thanks to your explanation, now I understand what is the exact difference between Pharmacology and Pharmacy, and my previous academic and professional background is somewhat aligned with the field of pharmaceutics/pharmacology rather than the pharmacy. I am really grateful to you.

Sir, one last thing, as I am going to Canada as a new immigrant where getting the first job is not easy due to the competitive job market, I intend to enroll in a pharmaceutical course. Sir, I am thinking that initially I would enroll in a 1 yr Postgraduate diploma in QA to secure my first job fast, then hopefully I will be doing another 1 yr PG diploma in Regulatory Affairs while doing my job simultaneously instead of doing a 2 yr Masters in pharmaceutics/pharmaceutical science. Additionally, I have an inclination to Regulatory Affairs field.

Sir, my thinking and plan may not be appropriate and I sincerely request you to throw some light on it. I seek your assistance as you are vastly experienced in the field where I am going to start my career.

Kind regards.

With your experience.....stay out of Pharmacy and go for the science.....There is a colloquialism for pharmacy in English.....Dead end...

Dear RX1992 Sir,
Thank you so much for your time. Yes, it was my mistake, you said it right that you preferred doing Master's in Pharmacology/Pharmaceutics over PharmD.

Sir, thanks to your explanation, now I understand what is the exact difference between Pharmacology and Pharmacy, and my previous academic and professional background is somewhat aligned with the field of pharmaceutics/pharmacology rather than the pharmacy. I am really grateful to you.

Sir, one last thing, as I am going to Canada as a new immigrant where getting the first job is not easy due to the competitive job market, I intend to enroll in a pharmaceutical course. Sir, I am thinking that initially I would enroll in a 1 yr Postgraduate diploma in QA to secure my first job fast, then hopefully I will be doing another 1 yr PG diploma in Regulatory Affairs while doing my job simultaneously instead of doing a 2 yr Masters in pharmaceutics/pharmaceutical science. Additionally, I have an inclination to Regulatory Affairs field.

Sir, my thinking and plan may not be appropriate and I sincerely request you to throw some light on it. I seek your assistance as you are vastly experienced in the field where I am going to start my career.

Kind regards.
I am not familiar with Canada, but in the US, Masters in pharmaceutical sciences would help. I would reach out to someone who knows Big Pharma hiring in Canada

Dear RX1992 Sir,

Kind regards.
I am not familiar with Canada, but in the US, Masters in pharmaceutical sciences would help. I would reach out to someone who knows Big Pharma hiring in Canada
It is so kind of you.. I must admit that I received a tremendous amount of help from you.. I can't thank you enough, Sir. It would be really great if you could manage to reach out to someone who knows Big Pharma hiring in Canada. Thank you so much for your valuable time and consideration.

Regards.

With your experience.....stay out of Pharmacy and go for the science.....There is a colloquialism for pharmacy in English.....Dead end...
Thank you so much for your reply. Yes, now I am thinking of pursuing a Master's in Pharmaceutical science or doing a Postgraduate diploma in QA or RA.
Could you please throw some light on this, which field would be more appropriate in securing a job and career progression. Thanks again.