Pharmaceutical reference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

germ

Riding Dirty
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can i find a Pharmaceutical reference book or online that explains how the drug works. WEBMD and those sites only give vague general indications.

I'm looking for the actual "HOW" Like prozac inhibits the reuptake of serotonin causing a blah,blah blah..just and example i'm not sure that is right. Or even for ordinary over the counter drugs like decongestant: pseudoephedrine, or benedryl even dandruff shampoo:tar

I'm looking for something moderately in depth with some biochemistry, not necessarily the actual research.

Is that what is taught in pharmacology? or in MD reference or is that just dosage and use?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, we are taught that in pharmacology. The actual mechanisms are also covered in medicinal chemistry. You can probably pick up a cheap, used, pharmacology text on Amazon.

try the PUBMED search engine- I used this to find all of the science articles I used in writing my MS thesis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Micromedex. Can't live without it ;)

Most of my sources must have paid passwords etc...

We have access to Medline, Micromedex, Lexicomp, and a host of other databases through our school. We can also log into them from home using a password. PubMed is free, I think the rest require passwords.

www.rxlist.com is a favorite of mine too. Probably the best you can get online.