germ

Riding Dirty
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2005
South
Where can i find a Pharmaceutical reference book or online that explains how the drug works. WEBMD and those sites only give vague general indications.

I'm looking for the actual "HOW" Like prozac inhibits the reuptake of serotonin causing a blah,blah blah..just and example i'm not sure that is right. Or even for ordinary over the counter drugs like decongestant: pseudoephedrine, or benedryl even dandruff shampoo:tar

I'm looking for something moderately in depth with some biochemistry, not necessarily the actual research.

Is that what is taught in pharmacology? or in MD reference or is that just dosage and use?

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
Yes, we are taught that in pharmacology. The actual mechanisms are also covered in medicinal chemistry. You can probably pick up a cheap, used, pharmacology text on Amazon.

LBS615

LBS615
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2005
Boca Raton, Fl.
Status
Pharmacy Student
try the PUBMED search engine- I used this to find all of the science articles I used in writing my MS thesis.

Smile like you mean it
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2003
Peoria, AZ
Try the
Drug Information Handbook - it has all of the basic information you may want, including the mechanism of action of drugs (even most OTCs).

OSURxgirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
We have access to Medline, Micromedex, Lexicomp, and a host of other databases through our school. We can also log into them from home using a password. PubMed is free, I think the rest require passwords.