pharmaceutical sales/industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicineman1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine was asking about starting salary and celing salary as well as potential career advacement in pharm sales/medical device sales. I personally just don't know much about it. Career stability at the age of 60? anyone have any info on this topic?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how credible my advisor was in undergrad but, I actually thought about pharm sales if med school didn't pan out. I was told the money can be REALLY good (60 - 100K) ... if your good at sales but, once you hit the 'older years' (ie over 40) it can be difficult since you don't look as good and you can't sell the product as well (ie you can't flirt as much and can't look as selling). Although you can move up to the managerial positions if you have done well as a sales rep those positions are fewer and are given to the ones who sold well. Plus, I was told that there isn’t much else you can do if you ‘get the boot’ It's probably similar in medical device sales - I have yet to see a sales rep over 50.

If you want to know more about the industry there is a great book that can really open your eyes. It's called "the truth about the drug companies" by Marcia Angell (who was editor for The New England Journal of Medicine). I was pretty naive about the pharm industry-doctor relationship and the drug companies in general until I read that book. It is quite eye opening and makes you think a little harder when eating all those tasty meals and taking all the free paraphernalia (although I figure as a med student it's hard not to take free stuff).

It honestly really depends.. like anything else in sales on volume and what portion of your contract comes from bonuses. I've met my fair share of pharm reps and medical device reps. I know plenty who have surpassed the doctors that they work with in salary (300k+ 400k+ 500k+). I also know plenty who aren't the most attractive or are men (lets be honest, the ideal pharm rep is a hot female in her mid 20s).

People also work their way up in these fields as managers, regional managers etc.

If you're good at what you do (like most other things in life) your will have job stability and a good salary.

If you are good at sales, you can own this country, and that is just the fact as it is.