Pharmacies should ban rude customers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

crossurfingers

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel like taking all this abuse is shaving years off of my life!

So a customer comes in today with 2 prescriptions in the drive through (after cutting another car off that was already coming through thelane). I ask all standard information for new patients- name, birthdate, address, allergies/health conditions, telephone number, insurance card, etc. In the process of me asking these questions he keeps saying if we can't fill it he'll go to Target and I explain that we can fill it we just need info from him. I ask for his insurance card and he just loses it and yells that he wants to talk to my manager to freaking report me! Manager tells me I did nothing wrong but went to talk to him. Turns out he's some pastor at a church trying to pick up meds for his wife who has cancer. For someone who's so religious he sure doesn't follow what he preaches. 😡 Why do people think it's ok to take their $%^& out on other innocent people? Probably because they rarely suffer any consequences! I wish I could have given him a piece of my mind and told him I don't want his business anyway.

If there was a policy of not taking any crap from customers I'm sure people would think twice about their actions and be more considerate.
 
Take a deep breath!

We have an unnatural expectation of better behavior out of some folks - men/women of the cloth, authority figures (police, fire), teachers, leaders (well...perhaps not here...)...but the reality is - when someone we love is faced with suffering & we know there is nothing we can do but go get that pain medication....we have no patience for what seems to them as small talk & inconsequential nonsense.

Now...you & I & your manager both know you did nothing wrong. And...tonight, after his wife has taken her morphine & is sleeping comfortably, he may feel some remorse for how he treated you. But, he may not come back to apologize - or he might. Some of my patients actually have. As a pharmacist...you have to develop the ability to know you've helped someone because they won't always thank you - in fact - mostly they won't.

Try to understand the position they are in - it is a horrible when someone is dying, in pain, or illness/injury affects a child....you feel helpless & your helplessness comes out as anger & frustration with the first person you see - that was you today.

Hopefully, later.....after his wife passes away...you'll be able to give him condolonces on his loss if you see him again. He'll appreciate you appear to have forgotten his outburst.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck & hang in there!
 
I feel like taking all this abuse is shaving years off of my life!

So a customer comes in today with 2 prescriptions in the drive through (after cutting another car off that was already coming through thelane). I ask all standard information for new patients- name, birthdate, address, allergies/health conditions, telephone number, insurance card, etc. In the process of me asking these questions he keeps saying if we can't fill it he'll go to Target and I explain that we can fill it we just need info from him. I ask for his insurance card and he just loses it and yells that he wants to talk to my manager to freaking report me! Manager tells me I did nothing wrong but went to talk to him. Turns out he's some pastor at a church trying to pick up meds for his wife who has cancer. For someone who's so religious he sure doesn't follow what he preaches. 😡 Why do people think it's ok to take their $%^& out on other innocent people? Probably because they rarely suffer any consequences! I wish I could have given him a piece of my mind and told him I don't want his business anyway.

If there was a policy of not taking any crap from customers I'm sure people would think twice about their actions and be more considerate.

I am just curious do other specialties like dentists, physicians, podiatrists and others deal with this type of people or that's just us? I mean have you ever heard of a patient who, let's say, comes to dentist office and yells at the dentist for doing a bad job or copay or whatever...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just curious do other specialties like dentists, physicians, podiatrists and others deal with this type of people or that's just us? I mean have you ever heard of a patient who, let's say, comes to dentist office and yells at the dentist for doing a bad job or copay or whatever...

Of course...It doesn't matter what job you are doing, you'll have those bad days. Stories about patients yell at MDs and medical staff, or even want to sue the doctor because he didn't treat "right" = everyday! Just ....where..who...and when...
 
There's a big sign in my physician's office that says "Verbal abuse towards clinic personnel will not be tolerated and will result in immediate removal from the premises." Or something to that effect... everyone that comes to the front desk sees this sign. I'd like to start seeing some pharmacies adopt the same policy. 🙂
 
It's not really the pharmacy that gets these type of rude customers, it's ALL RETAIL. Retailing banking, retail pharmacy, retail anything and you will have customers who think they can treat you like ****.

If I ever opened up my own pharmacy (or if I'm in a position where I can make policies), I'd definitely have a "No Yelling" policy. Some people have their reasons and it's understandable. However, some are just mad because the line is long, their copay suddenly increasing, or their drugs are out of stock. Either way, respect is needed on both ends.

To the OP, just hang in there. I'd like to think for every rude horrible customer, you will usually have 10 nice ones. Some days are good and some days will be bad. Just got to roll with it.
 
There's a big sign in my physician's office that says "Verbal abuse towards clinic personnel will not be tolerated and will result in immediate removal from the premises." Or something to that effect... everyone that comes to the front desk sees this sign. I'd like to start seeing some pharmacies adopt the same policy. 🙂

Sounds good to me! I hate how they try to intimidate you by "calling corporate" who will probably end up kissing up to them like they were in the right even when they weren't.
 
Of course...It doesn't matter what job you are doing, you'll have those bad days. Stories about patients yell at MDs and medical staff, or even want to sue the doctor because he didn't treat "right" = everyday! Just ....where..who...and when...

Yes this is true, but the BIG and CRUCIAL difference is I can boot those pts so quickly out of my office they don't know what hit them. There is NO EXCUSE for rude people. We don't tolerate them in the least. I tell my staff, strike one and you're out (re:rude people) ! No pt/xustomer is worth your stomach lining. Helplessness (what you're feeling) is a terrible feeling and I'm not sure if there is a way to fight back in retail. I would just say, oops sorry, we're out of your meds today, or give them like 3 days supply and keep making them come back, do this enough time and they'll move on to the next poor pharmacy.
 
rude customer: "how do i go about transferring my presciption somewhere else" after having to wait in the drive thur 10 min and demanding to know if we were filling a rx for the person in front of her while they waited-which we weren't.

me: "just go to any pharmacy and have them call us-have a nice day"

me mentally: 😀 see you b****
 
Sadly, if we banned rude customers we would go out of buisiness. I am not sure what it is about the pharmacy that brings out the worst in people. Do people think it is a good idea to rush and be rude to the person filling there medication. Honestly, you would think these idiot customers would want us to be as careful as possible and take as much time as necessary to get everything right. Would you yell at your doctor right before surgury?
 
Sadly, if we banned rude customers we would go out of buisiness.

I think it would even out if all the chains followed that policy. For example, people banned from Walgreens would go to other pharmacies while a good chunk of customers banned from those other pharmacies would go to Walgreens. Plus we don't encounter rude customers too frequently (but when we do they're something else!). Most of the time those customers elect to take their business elsewhere anyways, may as well let them know their behavior was unacceptable.

Honestly, you would think these idiot customers would want us to be as careful as possible and take as much time as necessary to get everything right.

To most, all pharmacists do is count pills, pour them in a bottle and slap a label on. My favorite quote, "Do you make these eardrops here? No?? Then why do I have to wait for 20 minutes?!!"
 
It's been a year since I last worked in retail, and till this day I'm bothered by the rude remarks made by some customers. I can forgive and forget being mistreated by customers with a logical reason for being so angry, but I can't seem to get over a customer who threatened to report me to the manager, once the manager was on shift. No one spoke to me about the incident, but I just can't seem to convince myself that he probably had personal issues and he was just taking out his anger on me. It was an unfortunate experience for me and his four year old who had to hear his father act as though he was 10 yoa (the child may need to find a better role model). I just can't get over it. 🙁
 
Don't take that kind of crap!!!

I havn't worked retail yet, but sold shoes b/f pharm school and I had alot of fun w/ the rude customers. I'd be just sarcastic and slow enough that they couldn't really report me, but definitely left w/ a lesson that they won't be treated well if they don't have manners.

I don't know the numbers but I doubt if anybody would go out of business if they refused to put up with that sort of thing.
 
Anyone working in retail or who has worked in retail in the past will be able to relate to your frustration. My response to the "reporting to corporate thing" was me smiling at them, writing my name on a card with corporate's phone # on it and handing it to them. Usually they would have no response to that when they see that their attempts to intimidate you are not working.

Overall, retail pharmacy seems to bring out the worst in people. I personally left after 3 years of abuse because it was starting to bring out the worst in ME. That was something I was not ok with. Treating people badly because you are tired of abuse and frustrated all the time was not my idea of a fulfilling career.

I've moved to hospital pharmacy now. While there are challenges with nurses, etc, overall I have to say, it is a whole different ballgame and I have never regretted my decision. Even the huge paycut I took was totally totally worth it! 🙂
 
Anyone working in retail or who has worked in retail in the past will be able to relate to your frustration. My response to the "reporting to corporate thing" was me smiling at them, writing my name on a card with corporate's phone # on it and handing it to them. Usually they would have no response to that when they see that their attempts to intimidate you are not working.

Overall, retail pharmacy seems to bring out the worst in people. I personally left after 3 years of abuse because it was starting to bring out the worst in ME. That was something I was not ok with. Treating people badly because you are tired of abuse and frustrated all the time was not my idea of a fulfilling career.

I've moved to hospital pharmacy now. While there are challenges with nurses, etc, overall I have to say, it is a whole different ballgame and I have never regretted my decision. Even the huge paycut I took was totally totally worth it! 🙂

Exactly, retail wears on YOU the person. Today I finally told someone "I'm not a mind reader" and boy was she mad, but you know what, she pushed me to it. I don't know why I even feel bad, she deserved it + more......but that is not who i am really.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Exactly, retail wears on YOU the person. Today I finally told someone "I'm not a mind reader" and boy was she mad, but you know what, she pushed me to it. I don't know why I even feel bad, she deserved it + more......but that is not who i am really.

I think i know why u felt bad, cause i am the same way. I strive to give the best service as possible and go out of my way and then some jack*** has to come in and make me feel like im not doing my job properly. Out of 400 rx's i fill daily, 1 will ruin my day. they make you feel like your incompetent and like your back there doing nothing. how am i suppose to know thatyou were coming in for an obscure drug today and we dont have it in stock and now you are yelling at me and my staff for not having it in stock! Or you md hasn't called in you refill that you let go on a weekend."Isn't it your job to call my doctor, your not doing your job". My repsonse is, sir/ma'am, its saturday😉 Whatever, let them be rude. I have had bad days in my life and never have acted like that. I have banned customers from my store cause of their pure rudeness and abusive language. I've had people tell me to go Fu** myself over the phone. I wanna tell them why dont you come in here in person and tell me that to my face. Different story then. Anyway, hang in there and just do the best you can.
 
This is why I believe we should adopt Russia communism. There was no such thing as customer service. People had jobs and if the "customer" complained, they were SOL. There was no capitalism-driven customer service ass kissing to give people a feeling of entitlement like today. Whose with me, comrades?
 
Unfortunately, assertive attempts to boot disruptive jerks out of your store usually get thwarted by some store manager who gives the jerk a $20 gift card. Not only do pharmacists have to take a bunch of crap off the public, but we get undermined by people who have no idea about pharmacy.

Pharmacists need to unite, band together against the jerks and start a national jerk registry. Anyone on the jerk registry has to get their drugs from Mexico. No exceptions. Enough is enough. We are educated professionals and do not need to put up with this crap.

Ok...sort of a joke, but I hate it when I see pharmacists taking a verbal beating from idiots and they can't do anything about it because of ridiculous "customer is always right" type of policies. In our business, the customer is often wrong and completely unreasonable. Which brings me to another gripe. Retail chains think of people as customers. They are patients. I think if pharmacists actually had time to treat people as patients instead of customers we would get a whole lot more respect and less crap from people. Some people don't even realize that you have to go to school to be a pharmacist....
 
I am just curious do other specialties like dentists, physicians, podiatrists and others deal with this type of people or that's just us? I mean have you ever heard of a patient who, let's say, comes to dentist office and yells at the dentist for doing a bad job or copay or whatever...

oh yeah. A holes are like, well A holes. everyone has them. I like to call them Whackitrons. Occasionally I feel the need to don a tinfoil hat whilst speaking to such a client, and sometimes I wish I had a tinfoil labcoat.

Here's our interoffice theory:

There are the wierd and sometimes jerky Whackitrons, and then there are the lower form of Whackitrons someone has named the "hateful a**itron" there's no hope for these people, except maybe prayer? Tinfoil doesn't really help much.

These people tend to come into the office in clusters, and sometimes their conditions can remain dormant. When they have outbursts, they tend to attract other asshats at alarming rates, so that often what seems like a really great surgery rotation, or nicely spread day of interesting cases can, in the blink of an eye, turn into The Day From Satan.

In such cases, it is best to take a deep breath, do your best to treat with a smile and kindness, then go home, take a long run, nice shower, and ingest one or two of your favourite brand of Adult Beverage (I like a nice Terminator Stout from the McMenamin Brothers) along with a nice grilled Ahi steak or say Elk steak on the barbie.

Do not be alarmed if you have runs of several days worth of whackitron clients in a row, they often come in sets of three days.
 
PharmD2MD
Unfortunately, assertive attempts to boot disruptive jerks out of your store usually get thwarted by some store manager who gives the jerk a $20 gift card. Not only do pharmacists have to take a bunch of crap off the public, but we get undermined by people who have no idea about pharmacy.

Hey! I think we work for the same company. To a store manager a customer is a customer no matter how bad they act. I spent 20 minutes in our conference room taking with my store manager about a complete jack ass of a customer who I told we were not putting up with their games anymore. Her only response was to remind me my hours were based on the number of scripts we do and shouldn't I put up with anything to keep thoses numbers up.
 
Hey! I think we work for the same company. To a store manager a customer is a customer no matter how bad they act. I spent 20 minutes in our conference room taking with my store manager about a complete jack ass of a customer who I told we were not putting up with their games anymore. Her only response was to remind me my hours were based on the number of scripts we do and shouldn't I put up with anything to keep thoses numbers up.

I usually make it very clear to any store manager(just by my work ethics) that i do not take any abusive language or anything unreasonable. I do not call my managers Mr or Mrs. If they want that then they can call me Dr. Mazariegos! I respect all individuals but no manager will ever tell me to put up with anything or to fill the script. If they ever did, i wiuld tell them that they can fill the rx and lets the DM on the phone. Anyway, I have never had a store manager tell me any to that respect above and if they did, boy would they have something coming to them! Take care all

Dr M
 
Wow! All this inspiring posting has really got me thinking a great deal about my 'chosen' profession.

Unfortunately, I think I'm just gonna end it all. I really didn't want to take my MedChem test anyway.

Goodbye cruel world!
🙁 :scared: 🙁