Pharmacist administers insulin at flu shot clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mentos

Half full member
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

I hope this pharmacist had insurance!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"According to police, the person who administered shots was a pharmacist who has been in practice for 40 years."

Maybe time to retire.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I haven’t used a multi dose flu shot in a long time.

In fact, I usually do a double take when I see an MDV.

Yeah time to retire, sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

I haven’t used a multi dose flu shot in a long time.

In fact, I usually do a double take when I see an MDV.

Yeah time to retire, sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Same. Prefilled syringes ftw.

Why is this pharmacist going to a group home to give vaccines? Hopefully it’s not meet metrics for cvs....

Reactions: 1 user
My guess - there were some standing vials of insulin and flu shot (outside of their packaging) in the pharmacy fridge and the pharmacist grabbed the vial that is “in the flu shot spot” and did not bother to look at the label.

I could survive a 50 unit push of insulin. I would just go home, sit on my couch, and eat ice cream and watch Netflix. May be a good time to get my kool aid sip on also

Last edited:
My guess - there were some standing vials of insulin and flu shot (outside of their packaging) in the pharmacy fridge and the pharmacist grabbed the vial that is “in the flu shot spot” and did not bother to look at the label.

I could survive a 50 unit push of insulin. I would just go home, sit on my couch, and eat ice cream and watch Netflix. May be a good time to get my kool aid sip on also

May be overworked RPH
A case to be made for work conditions

Members don't see this ad :)
Or pure negligence?
May be overworked RPH
A case to be made for work conditions
I once gave over 50 flu shots in an hour and a half at an offsite clinic as a floater. And I had to draw each vaccine up, help people answer the VAR questionnaire and write down their insurance info. Also had some 7 year olds in there too, which I was fine with but factor in their crying and how much time I spent with them before the administration. Oh and I did this on a Saturday on my own time for one of the big three chains. Later I realized I was part of the problem.

But this rph’s mistake was negligence, regardless of outside circumstances. Pretty sad.

On your own time?! Even CVS paid time for flu clinics back when I used to do them. That’s nuts.

But this case is pretty outlier. The vials don’t look anything alike nor do the boxes the vials come in. Out of curiosity I wonder if he was drawing them up as he went or if he had predrawn them in advance.

On your own time?! Even CVS paid time for flu clinics back when I used to do them. That’s nuts.

But this case is pretty outlier. The vials don’t look anything alike nor do the boxes the vials come in. Out of curiosity I wonder if he was drawing them up as he went or if he had predrawn them in advance.
The pharmacy manager later had me paid by the scheduler for 2 hours. But prior to that I did a four hour clinic and wasn’t paid so my expectations were pretty low.

Yes, I wonder if a tech or someone else had predrawn them for him? I get that stupid errors happen when people are busy, but I can't imagine a pharmacist drawing up from the insulin vial several times, and not noticing the big Humulin R or Novolog or whatever it said on it. We need more details, certainly to make sure whatever chain of events led to such a crazy error, doesn't repeat itself.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, I wonder if a tech or someone else had predrawn them for him? I get that stupid errors happen when people are busy, but I can't imagine a pharmacist drawing up from the insulin vial several times, and not noticing the big Humulin R or Novolog or whatever it said on it. We need more details, certainly to make sure whatever chain of events led to such a crazy error, doesn't repeat itself.

Even if someone else drew them up, I'm not sure how this would happen. The tech or whoever drew it up would have left the empty "vile" for the pharmacist to check, just like what IV techs do in hospitals and LTCs.

Im even double checking on age and HD vs quad. How do you inject insulin?! Seriously.

Yeah, would NEVER trust even an RPh intern to draw something up for me @ the end of the day when I am the one injecting said drug. Human factor/trust certainly has potential for med errors

This seems a likely scenario (pre-drawn syringes with no backtracking/accountability) as others have alluded to already. Still a bit hard to believe given all the documentation to go through (lot #, NDC recording, exp date, injection site, etc.)

I know a hospital where they draw up Lantus doses (because nurses were stealing the Lantus vials for themselves) and also draw up Flu shot from multi dose vials. All it takes is a mislabeling event or someone drawing up from wrong vial, etc.

Another strange insulin case.

"It scared me to death," Smith said. "I'm panicking right now because I'm worried, you know, because I know what insulin does. I'm a nurse. I know what insulin can do to you if given in the wrong content."

Yea....

"I am not sleeping comfortably at this point because I am still in my mind thinking, 'OK, what are the long-term effects of this,'" Smith said.

Right.....

• Haha
"It scared me to death," Smith said. "I'm panicking right now because I'm worried, you know, because I know what insulin does. I'm a nurse. I know what insulin can do to you if given in the wrong content."

Yea....

"I am not sleeping comfortably at this point because I am still in my mind thinking, 'OK, what are the long-term effects of this,'" Smith said.

Right.....
laughing @ them kinetics and endogenous insulin factor

laughing @ them kinetics and endogenous insulin factor

And if you read further on the end result is, “we are just hoping that we can all settle outside of court.”

For what? Any medical bills and lost time - absolutely, I support that 100%, they should not be put out financially by this at all. But what else?

When I read that the pharmacist had practiced for >40 years, I wondered if s/he might have some degree of dementia.

Even if someone else drew them up, I'm not sure how this would happen. The tech or whoever drew it up would have left the empty "vile" for the pharmacist to check, just like what IV techs do in hospitals and LTCs.

It depends on where you work I floated at a pharmacy and when there was a flu shot the techs would draw it up. You as a pharmacist got 0.5ml of a clear colorless liquid in a syringe. No vial

• Wow
The coverup by the school is what looks bad. Thats what will play to a jury.

It depends on where you work I floated at a pharmacy and when there was a flu shot the techs would draw it up. You as a pharmacist got 0.5ml of a clear colorless liquid in a syringe. No vial

Why wouldn't they leave the empty vial? That means the pharmacist didn't do any product verification.

And if you read further on the end result is, “we are just hoping that we can all settle outside of court.”

For what? Any medical bills and lost time - absolutely, I support that 100%, they should not be put out financially by this at all. But what else?
Well obviously nothing funny about a medication error

The lapse in rationale thinking by the nurse's statements and paranoia are what's funny (checking on person with door open @ bedtime for an entire week) after a good assumption that said person was administered with a likely short or rapid acting insulin (in her credit, she did mention the context of the dose for a normal person vs. say a diabetic).

Why wouldn't they leave the empty vial? That means the pharmacist didn't do any product verification.
I’m guessing the vial wasn’t empty and was put back into the fridge.

Obviously, you need to keep the vial in the box. Otherwise, the drugs might get switched.

Huh? The product box has the same info as the label on the vial.

Had the student had his test dose 0.1 ml(5 TU) he would have been eligible to receive up to 250 TU (5 ML) depending how he reacted to the test dose.

you can imagine what that means at least acutely speaking.
I’d rather give the mom (RN) the benefit of a doubt that there might be more to the story than disclosed on the paper prompting her to pursue legal avenues. Unless she is totally clueless AND also her lawyer for taking up this case- if all there is to this litigation is- all that is disclosed on this article.

I am a trusting person but I would never inject someone with syringe that was prepared by a tech without any product check.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I am a trusting person but I would never inject someone with syringe that was prepared by a tech without any product check.
Me too it's a matter of getting it right and not trust in fact. Company policy is for the vaccinator to administer only
to draw up the vaccine. But I have seen similar practices by mds

I gave this some thought... Now that I think about it, I have administered countless vaccinations which were drawn up by technicians.

I guess the difference is - I would only allow certain technicians do this. Most off all though, I was aware of my surroundings at all times. And, of course, I did follow protocol of verifying the empty vial.

• Wow
I gave this some thought... Now that I think about it, I have administered countless vaccinations which were drawn up by technicians.

I guess the difference is - I would only allow certain technicians do this. Most off all though, I was aware of my surroundings at all times. And, of course, I did follow protocol of verifying the empty vial.
Had a good story about one of my buddy RPhs tell me about having an intern (@ the time) draw up a zostavax vaccine...RPh replaced with a brand new needle out of anxiety/assurance previous one wasn't frayed (really hard to tell visually sometimes at least). Moral of the story is you can never be too careful especially when at the end of the day you are the one who is ultimately responsible

Strangely enough, in the Chinese newspapers, they mentioned that the vial actually labeled the flu vaccine but had insulin inside so they are investigating the reason. Wondering why this had no updates on the English papers.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

Definitely this. My trust is, if they show me the empty vial and the syringes, I will trust they are telling me the truth. But with no vial or box or anything, I have no way to know if they sincerely made a mistake.

When I give flu shots, I draw up doses myself (when I run out of single-dose syringes), and I check the NDC and write down lot number and expiration number on every VAR form as I am doing them, not "later". Sure, it takes a lot of time, but I will choose CYA over KPI every single time!

I thought of this story when I read about the Samoan measles epidemic, which has killed 53 people, most of them small children. Apparently, MMR was never mandatory there for school attendance, and it has a bad rap since two babies died last year after getting MMR. However, it wasn't MMR that killed those babies; it was the expired anesthetic agent (not named in this link) that the nurses, who are now in prison, used to reconstitute it!

And here's a story about the Samoan outbreak.

• Wow
I thought of this story when I read about the Samoan measles epidemic, which has killed 53 people, most of them small children. Apparently, MMR was never mandatory there for school attendance, and it has a bad rap since two babies died last year after getting MMR. However, it wasn't MMR that killed those babies; it was the expired anesthetic agent (not named in this link) that the nurses, who are now in prison, used to reconstitute it!

And here's a story about the Samoan outbreak.

Tragic event: The nurse mixed the wrong diluent (muscle relaxant anaesthetic the article states) with the vaccine, and they are being charged with manslaughter.

"The Samoa Observer published a detailed acount of the sentencing hearing, where it was confirmed that one of the nurses mixed the MMR vaccine powder with expired muscle relaxant anaesthetic instead of water for injection supplied in a vial with the vaccine. "

Edit: Not enough coffee this morning

Last edited:
A good reminder you probably should document what diluent was used to reconstitute as well. Chains typically don't provide space for this information. Actually Walmart "SOP" says you don't even have to write down the product information anymore because it is stored electronically when you process immunizations.

I literally asked my boss what do you think a board inspector would say and he actually said the Walmart "compliance team" makes sure policies and procedures are consistent with relevant jurisdictions (LOL)

Whoa! They don't mes around in Samoa. That it crazy, 5 years apiece for the nurses, for what appears to be an honest mistake from poor training (since a team of nurses from New Zealand went to the country to property train all the vaccinating nurses after the incident.)