Pharmacist applying to MED SCHOOL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fadesina

Reaction score
I'm an African American applying to Med School currently and I scored a 507 (I know not great but not the worst right?), I've been a pharmacist for 5 years (some hospital, some managed care, mostly retail), I have no real volunteering under my belt unless you want to consider church and my AMCAS GPA is probably going to end up being somewhere around a 3.6 if I had to take a guess. (Undergraduate GPA 3.9 Pharmacy: 3.6). I'm a PharmD/MS as well. Just not sure how that all fits into my chances.

I've applied to all NY schools pretty much.
NYU (Crap shoot)
Rochester
UB (Alma Mater)
Albert Einstein
Mt Sinai

What are my chances looking like?

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive several interviews but you should apply more broadly. I suggest these schools:
All 4 SUNYs
Albany
New York Medical College
Rochester
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Seton Hall
Quinnipiac
Pittsburgh
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Jefferson
George Washington
Miami
Tulane
Emory
St. Louis
Loyola
Wayne State

I'd definitely expand your school list, but your numbers look good! You might want to get some shadowing experience in. And how often did you volunteer for your church? Weekend here or there or something regular?

Definitely try to get more 'mid range' schools in there. NYU and Sinai are crazy competitive. You want to add SUNY's and the private schools without in-state bias (like George Washington, Georgetown, Tulane, Tufts, etc). Those places tend to interview a LOT of people and won't care what state you're from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm an African American applying to Med School currently and I scored a 507 (I know not great but not the worst right?), I've been a pharmacist for 5 years (some hospital, some managed care, mostly retail), I have no real volunteering under my belt unless you want to consider church and my AMCAS GPA is probably going to end up being somewhere around a 3.6 if I had to take a guess. (Undergraduate GPA 3.9 Pharmacy: 3.6). I'm a PharmD/MS as well. Just not sure how that all fits into my chances.

I've applied to all NY schools pretty much.
NYU (Crap shoot)
Rochester
UB (Alma Mater)
Albert Einstein
Mt Sinai

What are my chances looking like?
No shadowing?

No shadowing?

Maybe pull out of a hat and say he was on an icu pharmacy rotation before.

We have people do their pharmacy “residency” around.

But bigger question then is, why or how do you know you want to be a doctor if you don’t really know what physicians do....

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,

im in somewhat of a similar situation except i just did pharmacy school from the UK and im trying to get licensed here in Canada currently. However in the future i want to apply to medical school and wanted to know if med schools would take into consideration my background in pharmacy and practice because i would ideally work as a pharmacist for 1-2 years. I also have done a semester long lab-based cancer research project in my final year so would that count as good experience or would that get old to use in 3-4 years time??

No shadowing?
A pharmacist who worked in hospital setting should have an idea of what doctors do... I don't think shadowing is needed for OP.

I always wonder why a pharmacist who is making 130-150k would want to go to med school... Being a physician is not that glamorous.

Last edited:
A pharmacist who worked in hospital setting should have an idea of what doctors do... I don't think shadowing is needed for OP.

I always wonder why a pharmacist who is making 130-150k would want to go to med school... Being a physician is not that glamorous.
The money part is what makes it a difficult decision for most pharmacists....I would say most do it either because they are seeking a more interesting career in terms of what you can do with your knowledge vs the limited scope of pharmacists. The years of lost income actually make this a decision where you go into medicine, for the most part and for most people, knowing that there is a net loss (ie debt, loss of growth on potential investments etc etc). Aren’t you a previous RN (or maybe I’m thinking of someone else on SDN)? I know ER nurses who easily clear 100k with overtime - so I assume you also have a slight idea of why we do what we do :)

The money part is what makes it a difficult decision for most pharmacists....I would say most do it either because they are seeking a more interesting career in terms of what you can do with your knowledge vs the limited scope of pharmacists. The years of lost income actually make this a decision where you go into medicine, for the most part and for most people, knowing that there is a net loss (ie debt, loss of growth on potential investments etc etc). Aren’t you a previous RN (or maybe I’m thinking of someone else on SDN)? I know ER nurses who easily clear 100k with overtime - so I assume you also have a slight idea of why we do what we do :)
Yes I was... I was working 2 days/week only because I hated being a RN, albeit I was making ~50k working only 24 hrs/week. For me the opportunity cost is not going to be huge given that I was not making that much as a RN and now I have to potential to make anywhere from 250k-400k as a hospitalist/nocturnist.