CVICU RN Applying to Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProPoleFall

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am currently a CVICU RN that is taking post-bacc courses at a local 4 yr state college. I am currently projected to apply for 2024/2025 cycle. My GPA from undergrad is 3.78 current gpa (still need to take majority of my pre-med reqs) from my BSN degree. Leadership wise, I have served as a preceptor to new nurses to the CVICU and the volunteer clinic. I have around 500 hrs of volunteering at a local underserved clinic along with about 8 hrs of shadowing of family med doctor and 8 shadowing hrs for CRNA. My question to you all is if I need to bolster my application with some research experience. I did have some research in undergrad but never published, only presented at an undergraduate research symposium. What recommendations do you guys have for me?

Current GPA: 3.78
Volunteer Hours: ~500
Shadowing: Family Med MD (8), CRNA (8)
Clinical Experience (~3000 hrs+)
Certifications: CCRN (certification for ICU RNs), BLS/ACLS/ACLS-CSU(open chest resuscitation)
Research: Presented at a Undergraduate Symposium on Socioeconomic Factors affecting HIV Patients

Members don't see this ad.

MSAR tells us that somewhere around 90% of MD matriculants have research experience. Now, I don't know if that is because med schools desire research (the top schools probably do--the rate for Harvard / Hopkins / NYU / UCSF is ~100%) or because students who prioritize research are naturally stronger candidates. Not all research is equal, either. Some students may just clean glassware, others may create and test their own hypotheses; MSAR doesn't distinguish. But one doesn't need research to become a doctor. So I say: if you like conducting research, then do it. But if not, don't stress. Clinical, shadowing, and volunteering are more important and you've already got that.

I don't know if that is because med schools desire research (the top schools probably do--the rate for Harvard / Hopkins / NYU / UCSF is ~100%) or because students who prioritize research are naturally stronger candidates. Not all research is equal, either.
The data come from an annual survey of matriculants, and research is high because most students will have done research prior to attending, usually because they do it out think they are supposed to. Many undergrads do honors research, others do research as a job or part of a postbac program. A lot know that research is part of the medical experience at their dream schools.

Not all research is equal, I agree. I don't think research is critical as a non trad unless you apply to those schools with a significant research component.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an RN (ER/Flight) before med school (current second year at a top 50 program) as well, so first off, congrats on trying something pretty daring! I did research, but mostly just because it was convenient to do as I had a good relationship with my biochem teacher. It never once came up in interviews, and I seriously doubt it mattered at all to any adcoms compared to my experience and apparent passion for medicine. Most applicants won’t have the experience you have, because you’ve worked in an ICU where the patients are complex, and the outcomes often aren’t as satisfying as one would hope, yet you still want to go into medicine. For those people being able to demonstrate a research oriented analytic skill set is useful to distinguish themselves, but you’ll have other things that distinguish you. If you want to do research by all means cold call and email some professors doing it (most undergrad research is pretty cake honestly), but don’t feel like you absolutely have to. Also don’t worry about shadowing hours. You spend 36 + hours in a hospital each week, that’s plenty. If you feel frisky just shadow one of your intensivists, they’ll probably be more than happy to have you tag along while they do their thing. Best of luck and if you need any advice feel free to DM.

I'm an M3 and a former ICU RN. I had barely any research experience and I ended up going to a program with a heavy research focus; my point is that research isn't absolutely necessary for your app, though it wouldn't hurt, of course. Focus on doing well in your classes and MCAT - success in those will show that you are just as academically prepared as other applicants who don't have your significant clinical experience. Make sure you come up with a good narrative why you want to make the transition from nursing to medicine that comes out in your essays and interviews, since you will be asked about that. Feel free to reach out.

Rising MS2 and former NICU RN. I had ZERO research. As some posters mentioned above not all research is equal. On my unit, I did some "nursing research" and ultimately did not put it on my application because I didnt think the research was the same research medical schools were looking for. It had zero effect on the success of my cycle I'd argue though. As my peers above mentioned, Its not at all a necessity especially when you already bring a highly desirable distinguishable quality with your extensive healthcare exposure. I definitely feel like doing research would open up your school lists a bit more because there are some schools who do value that highly. It'd be up for you to determine whether pursuing research for that is worth it.