Pharmacist at both Independent + Chain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDoReMe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a question that might be very stupid. I was looking online trying to find my answer, but all questions/answers were regarding CVS, so I’ve turned to everyone here.

If by chance I was hired as a pharmacist at an independent chain, as well as a walgreens, would I be able to work at both? Is it against policy?

Members don't see this ad.

Conflict of interest. If your boss at corp finds out, it will result in immediate termination.

Reactions: 5 users
If you are in some states, like California, they can't legally have a non-compete agreement.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You should check with your chain. Some chains are okay with concurrent outside work as long as it’s not another competing chain.

Extremely unlikely, maybe if the independent was in an area where the chain didn't have any stores for 50 miles in any direction...maybe. An independent and a chain in the same city, that will not be approved.

Reactions: 1 user
When I was working at an independent, there was pharmacists working part time (few hours per month) at both sides.

I am not getting enough hours at chain... I kinna want to do it too but afraid that someone may find out...

If RPh (especially a high performer) asks for less hours, wouldn't that raise suspicions?

No at Walmart and Rite Aid. What if you work at independent and a customer wants you to call your chain for a transfer? Would you tell him/her to wait till the next day when the other pharmacist comes back? or one of the pharmacist at your chain calls independent for a transfer.

Last edited:
A lot said here is not true.

You are allowed to work for a non-direct competitor. It just has to be >50 miles from a nearby non-direct competitor.

A lot said here is not true.

You are allowed to work for a non-direct competitor. It just has to be >50 miles from a nearby non-direct competitor.

What are the chances OP is trying to work at an independent that's over 50 miles away from a Walgreens?

Is there a policy stating that a CVS pharmacist cant work per diem at an independent.? Next year my base hours will decrease to 33 , and i am definitely thinking about moonlighting at an independent.

Most big corporations dont allow it. Ask your main company first....if you get registered on the state board site as being employed at both and the non indie company sees that, they'll fire you immediately if you're going against company policy.

A floater in my company works part time at an indie in the same town as one of our locations, but she got it approved by our corporate.

You should be fine as long as no one finds out i suppose haha make that money. If they ask based on your state board record, just say you forgot to take it down.

From what I understand, both Walgreens and CVS has a non-compete clause that doesn't allow you to work at another community pharmacy while you're at that company but you are allowed to work at a hospital. But you'll need to ask the DM if they allow it because they do allow it on sometimes (One of the owners of a independent I was at during my APPE rotations was also floating at Walgreens).

My friend was offered a PRN outpatient position with a large health system. He’s a Walgreens pharmacy manager and he was told that it violates the non compete. I personally would’ve just worked both if I wanted to.

It also depends on state law. California, Montana, North Dakota, and Oklahoma ban non-competes except in limited scenarios involving sales of entire businesses or solicitation of former customers.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN