pharmacist interview at CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

N2014

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am currently P4 student working as an intern at cvs pharmacy. I got an interview with the District manager and supervisor at CVS in my district for the position of a pharmacist. I am trying to prepare for possible interview questions and looked over basic interview questions. Anyone who had an interview with CVS recently or past year, please suggest me some tips or possible questions to expect during the interview.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't sweat you interview with CVS. If you perform halfway decently you'll be offered a job. They are probably lining up 5 other new grads they hired two years ago who they've been treating like crap and are getting ready to fire. You will be them in 2 years. Spend that time looking for a real pharmacy job.

KPM, SOS, useless stuff that no one should care about.

But actually, I do have a question about CVS. What are the chances that an intern would not get a pharmacist position after interviewing? I heard most people get hired but I'm wondering if anyone knows someone who didn't? I'm a bit worried because I've only been with the company a couple years and a lot of other interns have been working there 7 years

yeah, i know a couple of people who didn't get hired after the interviews. They are really just looking for the perfect djangos for them to push around as pharmacists. so if you made any waves during your couple of years, it may affect the outcome

Last edited:
Q: Why did you choose pharmacy?

A: To give as many flu shots as possible sir/ma'am!

You are hired!

It will be basically a verbal exam of SOS, KPM, MCE, WeCare, and other company specific stuff. They want you to know how these numbers are calculated and how you can drive them. You will probably have to do a mock counseling session on adherence calls, pharmacy advisor, etc. I'm almost POSITIVE you will get a lot of questions on MCE b/c its HUGE right now. They will also ask you ideas about driving profit for your district/store. Other factors that will affect their decision are your home store's performance and your PIC's evaluation of you. If you do well, you will be honored "Grad Intern of the Year" of your district and these lucky candidates generally get to become PIC shortly after becoming rph ;)

Could you post the main components of KPM, SOS, and MCE? I couldn't find them on the web.

If I was working there, I would have looked them up myself. Duh. I am not working anywhere. Could someone please tell me the major components of KPM, SOS, and MCE? Thanks.

If I was working there, I would have looked them up myself. Duh. I am not working anywhere. Could someone please tell me the major components of KPM, SOS, and MCE? Thanks.

I interviewed with them and was given an offer that I turned down. They just ask you behavioral questions and some stuff on how you would motivate your techs to sell prescription cards.

Could someone please tell me the major components of KPM, SOS, and MCE?
I've been with them before so they would definitely ask them.

I started working for CVS Jan 2004 (when I was a senior in high school) and I worked with them till I couldn't anymore (the December of my 6th yr). When I stopped working, I was with them for almost 8 years and they didn't offer me a position. They are the worst company ever and at the time I was so upset at them for not offering me a job. They made me run around and interview in different places and in the end I had no job. I don't recommend them to anyone. Their excuse was that I didn't know too much about their metrics...KPM, and all the other crap they focus on. I turned it around and I learned everything. In fact, I knew so many people that they hired who knew nothing about it either. I had a basic understanding of it all but apparently it wasn't enough for them. Anyway, to cut the long story short, I was with them for almost 8 years and I got nothing in the end. I ended up signing with Rite Aid and was content that I had "a" job, about a year (not even) later, I ended up with a job as a hospital pharmacist and I love what I do. I still work per diem with Rite Aid. So in conclusion, I must say that I am really glad CVS didn't hire me. Best of luck with their interview, if you know how to kiss their butt, you "might" get hired. I never kissed their butt so maybe that's what my issue was. lol.

I started working for CVS Jan 2004 (when I was a senior in high school) and I worked with them till I couldn't anymore (the December of my 6th yr). When I stopped working, I was with them for almost 8 years and they didn't offer me a position. They are the worst company ever and at the time I was so upset at them for not offering me a job. They made me run around and interview in different places and in the end I had no job. I don't recommend them to anyone. Their excuse was that I didn't know too much about their metrics...KPM, and all the other crap they focus on. I turned it around and I learned everything. In fact, I knew so many people that they hired who knew nothing about it either. I had a basic understanding of it all but apparently it wasn't enough for them. Anyway, to cut the long story short, I was with them for almost 8 years and I got nothing in the end. I ended up signing with Rite Aid and was content that I had "a" job, about a year (not even) later, I ended up with a job as a hospital pharmacist and I love what I do. I still work per diem with Rite Aid. So in conclusion, I must say that I am really glad CVS didn't hire me. Best of luck with their interview, if you know how to kiss their butt, you "might" get hired. I never kissed their butt so maybe that's what my issue was. lol.

I am glad they didn't hire you as well- you are the perfect example that wants to blame the company instead of looking in the mirror. So I take it you were this great Pharmacist that for some strange reason(s) CVS refused to hire- remember there's two sides to every story.

Yeah sure, say whatever you want. I am not the only one who feels that way about the company. If you work for them, good for you. Everyone is entitled to their opinion so thanks for sharing yours, and thanks for telling me to look in the mirror too, because I've never done that before o_O

I am glad they didn't hire you as well- you are the perfect example that wants to blame the company instead of looking in the mirror. So I take it you were this great Pharmacist that for some strange reason(s) CVS refused to hire- remember there's two sides to every story.

DesiRx, it is good that you left. If you had stayed there you would've become a brainwashed CVS zombie. Kudos to those who maintain their independent thought and realize CVS is leading the way in destroying the profession. All of their metrics are really just ways of keeping a certain amount of turnover to keep salaries down. I feel bad for those who are trapped there by the recession.

DesiRx, it is good that you left. If you had stayed there you would've become a brainwashed CVS zombie. Kudos to those who maintain their independent thought and realize CVS is leading the way in destroying the profession. All of their metrics are really just ways of keeping a certain amount of turnover to keep salaries down. I feel bad for those who are trapped there by the recession.

Well said :)