Pharmacist jobs in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DestinyHope

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As the job market isn't so great in the US, it might be kind of cool to live in Canada for a few years and work as a pharmacist. I really have no idea how one would go about doing this or what the demand is like, but I was just curious if someone else had looked into working in Canada. Also, are there other countries where a US pharmacy school graduate can work as a pharmacist? Just wondering... Thanks!!!
 
As the job market isn't so great in the US, it might be kind of cool to live in Canada for a few years and work as a pharmacist. I really have no idea how one would go about doing this or what the demand is like, but I was just curious if someone else had looked into working in Canada. Also, are there other countries where a US pharmacy school graduate can work as a pharmacist? Just wondering... Thanks!!!

I would let go of your Canada idea, they're in the same situation as the US and you likely wouldnt be eligible for a work visa b/c your skills arent in demand up there.
Alternatively, to live internationally, for a starter i would consider MSF (aka doctors w/o borders), Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, or any foreign American clinic- which you would have to look up. They'd be in remote areas of the world.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would let go of your Canada idea, they're in the same situation as the US and you likely wouldnt be eligible for a work visa b/c your skills arent in demand up there.
Alternatively, to live internationally, for a starter i would consider MSF (aka doctors w/o borders), Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, or any foreign American clinic- which you would have to look up. They'd be in remote areas of the world.

Any information on these "foreign american clinics", like what and where are they, how to get a job there?
 
I would let go of your Canada idea, they're in the same situation as the US and you likely wouldnt be eligible for a work visa b/c your skills arent in demand up there.

Don't listen to what this person says.

You are totally eligible for a Canadian work visa without having to prove that a particular employer couldn't find a suitable local candidate. The visa is automatic, just drive/fly to the border with your letter of employment, and they'll issue you a 1-3 year visa on the spot. A bit of a catch-22 (getting a job before you're eligible), but getting the visa is virtually guaranteed.

Your degree is accepted just like a Canadian pharmacy degree. You will likely have to go through the same licensing exams that any Canadian grad has to do, but not the one exams and credential verifications that non-ACPE/non-CCAPP grads have to go through.

There are jobs in Canada, but the biiig cities are getting saturated in my opinion. Having said that, there are still plenty of independents, counselling on new/changed RXs is mandatory, techs get paid more than $8/hour, scripts at Wal-Mart start at $9 + cost of drug + markup and 300-scripts-per-day would be considered a busy store.

Just about everything other than good education and healthcare are more expensive in Canada than the US, taxes may or may not be higher when you look at the whole picture. At least the Canadian dollar buys a lot of foreign travel and US goods these days.
 
Thanks everyone for the responses! Hopefully, I will be able to get a job in the US, but I just wanted to throw the question out there out of curiosity. It would also probably be too expensive to relocate to Canada right now with these crazy loans I have to pay off. However, it might be cool to consider living there a few years out from now as sort of a cultural experience. I can't imagine there are too many fields where you can just relocate to Canada in your profession. Well, maybe there are. I just don't know about them. Anyway, thanks again!!
 
Thanks everyone for the responses! Hopefully, I will be able to get a job in the US, but I just wanted to throw the question out there out of curiosity. It would also probably be too expensive to relocate to Canada right now with these crazy loans I have to pay off. However, it might be cool to consider living there a few years out from now as sort of a cultural experience. I can't imagine there are too many fields where you can just relocate to Canada in your profession. Well, maybe there are. I just don't know about them. Anyway, thanks again!!

This site gives lots of answers to questions about Canadian immigration:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

A PharmD will get you into the country if you have the other qualifications necessary, but you'll still have to jump though all their respective hoops for licensure in whichever province you choose.
 
This site gives lots of answers to questions about Canadian immigration:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

A PharmD will get you into the country if you have the other qualifications necessary, but you'll still have to jump though all their respective hoops for licensure in whichever province you choose.

Even that site isn't the best route if you're a US licensed pharmacist with a US or Mexican citizenship, especially if you're coming temporarily.

PharmD or BSP, Canada will take either from the US.

Most of the "hoops" are the same across Canada, except Quebec has a very different system that's probably not worth bothering with. The only province specific tests are similar to the MPJE and not particularly difficult. Some provinces _might_ force you to do Canadian internship hours, but since you can transfer your license between provinces, just get licensed in, say, BC, first, and then transfer to Ontario.