You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pharmacist left pharmacy unattended. Then robbed
Started by The Doom & Gloom
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Should I use my 1 inch needle or my 5/8?
Everyone knows gauge is more important than length.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sure. Ok. You've just used a lot of circular logic to try and conceal the fact that you entered the thread saying that it's wrong to identify the race of a person.It's not offensive at all to state that someone is black. After you rang the PC alarm bells, I merely pointed out that the adjective was unnecessary and irrelevant in this context. The question is about the OP's behavior and consequences, not about the shoplifter. (If the OP were describing the robber to the police, it would absolutely be relevant and appropriate and in no way "not PC")
I also did not assert that we "need to use neutral words" -- merely that there was no benefit to not doing so in this instance.
It is not wrong to say that a person of X race is a person of X race.
I'll spell it out a bit more clearly:
No one mentioned the word stereotype until you did.
If you think an anecdote posted online perpetuates or contributes to a stereotype, you need to realize that the stereotype exists right behind the eyes that recognized it.
It doesn't matter that it's irrelevant or "unnecessary", whatever that's supposed to mean.
You can try to hand wave it away, but you're attempting to censor something that makes you uncomfortable.
You need to ask yourself why it makes you uncomfortable.
There's no reason not to.Please explain why? Patient syncopes out. Elevate feet and they come to a couple seconds later. Call 911 and then what? Have the back to normal patient wait 10 min, transport to the hospital and then full work up? Default calling 911 for syncope is also not part of many companies emergency procedures, only for complications. It needs to be documented and an incident report filed but it's usually not a 911 call
Not automatically calling 911 when a patient passes out is a pure risk scenario.
If they do come to, just tell the bus to go away when they get there.
I also don't have bionic eyes with x ray vision.
Have fun elevating a hypoglycemic patients legs and waiting for them to come to.
Sure. Ok. You've just used a lot of circular logic to try and conceal the fact that you entered the thread saying that it's wrong to identify the race of a person.
It is not wrong to say that a person of X race is a person of X race.
I'll spell it out a bit more clearly:
No one mentioned the word stereotype until you did.
If you think an anecdote posted online perpetuates or contributes to a stereotype, you need to realize that the stereotype exists right behind the eyes that recognized it.
It doesn't matter that it's irrelevant or "unnecessary", whatever that's supposed to mean.
You can try to hand wave it away, but you're attempting to censor something that makes you uncomfortable.
You need to ask yourself why it makes you uncomfortable.
Specifying the robbers race doesn't personally make me uncomfortable, but it makes me question the OP's motives behind specifying this piece of demographic information about the robber. Why go about typing up an extra word to describe the robber's race? what does that add to the story? And most importantly, would the OP go out of their way to mention the robber's race if the robber was white? There's reason to believe that the OP probably wouldn't, and that's the real issue here.
The OP doesn't need to censor themselves, and I don't think that's what people are asking for either. Rather, folks are calling the OP out on drawing attention to the robber's race, and questioning the OP's motives for doing so, particularly when you consider the larger context of how racism is a Real Thing in the world we live in.
Specifying the robbers race doesn't personally make me uncomfortable, but it makes me question the OP's motives behind specifying this piece of demographic information about the robber.
Yeah, I get that. When someone says "some black guy" it just feels a little gross. That may not have been the OP's intention, but that's what I felt when I read it.
D
deleted820760
LMAO. You cracked me up.Why wouldn't you call 911? Is your employer going to send you the bill or something? Puh-leez
Creepiest thing I've read all month long.
Why is it creepy though? Doctors use private rooms to see patients. Maybe the room is for people who may need to take clothes off for the shot. I once wore a shirt that was tight around the arms and would not pull up to the shoulder, so I had to take my shirt halfway off to get the shot. I wouldn't want to do that out in the open at a Walgreens.
I don't want to be politically correct here. The op's mentioning of the robber's race is without a doubt inflammatory to all minorities. With the ascension of Donald Trump to the highest office of the land, racism is the real game in town now. It is ok to be a bully, to discriminate without fear. After all, Trump was elected because he run a very divisive and racist campaign. The future of this great country has never been so grim.
Really? When I get a flu shot I just drop my pants and glare directly into the eyes of anyone nearby.LMAO. You cracked me up.
Why is it creepy though? Doctors use private rooms to see patients. Maybe the room is for people who may need to take clothes off for the shot. I once wore a shirt that was tight around the arms and would not pull up to the shoulder, so I had to take my shirt halfway off to get the shot. I wouldn't want to do that out in the open at a Walgreens.
LOL, you guys are funny about the private room.
BUT... There's been more than one instance of a woman coming to get a flu shot in a top that is impossible to pull down/up to get to the deltoid. (LOL, WTF were they thinking.) So yeah, they have to take off their top...
But more often some are just so nervous they don't want anyone to see them wincing or even crying (before the shot haha, they are usually relieved after).
BUT... There's been more than one instance of a woman coming to get a flu shot in a top that is impossible to pull down/up to get to the deltoid. (LOL, WTF were they thinking.) So yeah, they have to take off their top...
But more often some are just so nervous they don't want anyone to see them wincing or even crying (before the shot haha, they are usually relieved after).
Please explain why? Patient syncopes out. Elevate feet and they come to a couple seconds later. Call 911 and then what? Have the back to normal patient wait 10 min, transport to the hospital and then full work up? Default calling 911 for syncope is also not part of many companies emergency procedures, only for complications. It needs to be documented and an incident report filed but it's usually not a 911 call
Wow. As it turns out all my ER docs working up syncope and finding patients with arrhythmias were doing it wrong their entire career. I better let them know.
You give someone a vaccine and they faint. You then figure it might be an arrhythmia or hypoglycemia so you call 911? How does the expression about horses and zebras go? I am with npage, I wouldn't call 911 right away. Evaluate the patient to make sure they are breathing and are otherwise not in distress, elevate the legs, and see if they rebound. If they do and want 911 to be called, then call. Obviously if they do not revive or there are breathing/pulse issues call right away and perform CPR.
The thing is, I don't want to figure out jack. I want to hand them off to someone else so I can verify the waiters that have been accruing. Waiting to call 911 does not accomplish that faster in any situation and calling 911 may.You give someone a vaccine and they faint. You then figure it might be an arrhythmia or hypoglycemia so you call 911? How does the expression about horses and zebras go? I am with npage, I wouldn't call 911 right away. Evaluate the patient to make sure they are breathing and are otherwise not in distress, elevate the legs, and see if they rebound. If they do and want 911 to be called, then call. Obviously if they do not revive or there are breathing/pulse issues call right away and perform CPR.
...it was in the pharmacy. That's the point of the thread.
OP did not specify whether bathroom was inside or outside the pharmacy. If the bathroom was inside the pharmacy, customer must have jumped the counter
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OP did not specify whether bathroom was inside or outside the pharmacy. If the bathroom was inside the pharmacy, customer must have jumped the counter
Not the bathroom. The test strips.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yeah, I mean, I think it's unspoken that we all understand that.You give someone a vaccine and they faint. You then figure it might be an arrhythmia or hypoglycemia so you call 911? How does the expression about horses and zebras go? I am with npage, I wouldn't call 911 right away. Evaluate the patient to make sure they are breathing and are otherwise not in distress, elevate the legs, and see if they rebound. If they do and want 911 to be called, then call. Obviously if they do not revive or there are breathing/pulse issues call right away and perform CPR.
What I'm saying is that if the average pharmacist is asked, "Where in the BLS algorithm did you see, 'hold this patient's legs up in the air'?", they'd better be able to point to a separate credential than their pharmacists license, APHA cert, or red cross CPR card.
You give someone a vaccine and they faint. You then figure it might be an arrhythmia or hypoglycemia so you call 911? How does the expression about horses and zebras go? I am with npage, I wouldn't call 911 right away. Evaluate the patient to make sure they are breathing and are otherwise not in distress, elevate the legs, and see if they rebound. If they do and want 911 to be called, then call. Obviously if they do not revive or there are breathing/pulse issues call right away and perform CPR.
The only problem with that is you're not licensed to do any of that. Call 911. Just do it.
All you need to do is put some cookies in their mouth and move their jaw to chew them up. If they are hypoglycemic they will revive. If just syncope, they will wake up to delicious cookies in their mouth. Make sure to "store use" the cookies and use store brand.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Similar threads
- Replies
- 9
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 3K