Pharmacist Liability Insurance for new grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDBro2017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. What company do y'all use to cover your liability?

2. What type of pharmacy do you work (hospital, retail, LTAC, compounding)

3. Anything important covered by your plan that you deem necessary or must have? (making IVs, compounding, etc)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1. What company do y'all use to cover your liability?

2. What type of pharmacy do you work (hospital, retail, LTAC, compounding)

3. Anything important covered by your plan that you deem important? (making IVs, compounding, etc)
I use Mercer through ASHP. I've had them since licensure and hope to never use their service. They have an upcharge for consulting services, but otherwise I think they cover everything.

I had Pharmacist Mutual as a practicing pharmacist, and they were willing to work against the chains when necessary. It's not that pricey, and they do a good job with representation in the Southwest when you need it. The only reason why I don't use them anymore is that my insurance has to be a PLI now because of my job and Pharmacists Mutual does not underwrite a government one with protection for administrative leave. I use FEDS for that and disability supplemental (for the risk eventuality that the VA will drive me clinically insane) for $400 a year which $200 is directly paid back to me from OPM and the other $200 goes on the 2% deductions, and I have had to make a claim before which was absolutely painless which basically paid for itself for a lifetime when I collected from two weeks of administrative leave.

For pharmacists in practice in the federal government, you should be careful about purchasing (I think it goes so far as you should not) pharmacist liability insurance as most policies specifically exclude government action in any cases that you could be involved in. You should consider PLI if you are a supervisor or you have contracting authority. And both sets of insurance is completely worthless in a uniformed situation, there's specific PLI geared for those employees in the same way ATC and LEO personnel are covered.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had pharmacist mutual through my school for rotations and internships....just re-upped my pharmacist mutual for another year as a working pro. Very hopeful I never have to use it, ever...policy is $70 a year.

1. I use Pharmacists Mutual. No real reason why them other than my school went through them for us as interns. I've been happy with their customer service. Have never had an incident so I know nothing about filing a claim or actually using the insurance.

2. I split time between retail and hospital.

3. If you do any sterile compounding, make sure you're covered there. Not necessary if you're straight retail.

My advice to anyone: Your company will say that they have liability insurance for you...remember that, while they do carry liability insurance, it is to best represent their interests and not necessarily yours. Get your own policy.

I have HPSO and have since I was licensed, for both hospital and retail. It's comprehensive and covers pretty much everything, including Good Samaritan and Sexual Misconduct (except consulting, that requires an additional rider.) Any pharmacist policy should cover all expected job duties (like compounding, iv's, etc.)

Reactions: 2 users
I have HPSO and have since I was licensed, for both hospital and retail. It's comprehensive and covers pretty much everything, including Good Samaritan and Sexual Misconduct (except consulting, that requires an additional rider.) Any pharmacist policy should cover all expected job duties (like compounding, iv's, etc.)

I ended up going with HPSO as well, and they offer a recent graduate discount so it worked out nicely.

Reactions: 1 users
hpso is now 209$? so sick of these pharmacist fees

I had Pharmacist Mutual as a practicing pharmacist, and they were willing to work against the chains when necessary. It's not that pricey, and they do a good job with representation in the Southwest when you need it. The only reason why I don't use them anymore is that my insurance has to be a PLI now because of my job and Pharmacists Mutual does not underwrite a government one with protection for administrative leave. I use FEDS for that and disability supplemental (for the risk eventuality that the VA will drive me clinically insane) for $400 a year which $200 is directly paid back to me from OPM and the other $200 goes on the 2% deductions, and I have had to make a claim before which was absolutely painless which basically paid for itself for a lifetime when I collected from two weeks of administrative leave.

For pharmacists in practice in the federal government, you should be careful about purchasing (I think it goes so far as you should not) pharmacist liability insurance as most policies specifically exclude government action in any cases that you could be involved in. You should consider PLI if you are a supervisor or you have contracting authority. And both sets of insurance is completely worthless in a uniformed situation, there's specific PLI geared for those employees in the same way ATC and LEO personnel are covered.

You still purchase professional liability insurance even with the federal torts claim act?

Did you read my post? FTCA doesn't cover personal acts, ever. That's why even the feds reimburse for it.

By personal acts do you mean work outside your official duties as a pharmacist?

By personal acts do you mean work outside your official duties as a pharmacist?
Still within your official acts, but ones that can be isolated into personal and professional components. My writeup of a 2 for an evaluation gets me sued on failing to follow OHRM policies with respect to competencies.

Still within your official acts, but ones that can be isolated into personal and professional components. My writeup of a 2 for an evaluation gets me sued on failing to follow OHRM policies with respect to competencies.

Interesting didn't know this level of detail when I was at the VA. I did know when drs write outside rxs for patients they are not protected. I guess ignorance is bliss, I though I was ironclad.

anyone who has been working for a while and has pharmacists mutual? about how much do you pay a year may I ask? the rep quoted me a price of like $150 or so a few years back if I remember it correctly, which was way less than what HPSO charges (about $270 now for standard price policy)