Pharmacist Pregnant in retail setting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lightrose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

As the title states, I'm pregnant and currently work for a chain pharmacy. Not gonna complain about the hours/tech help/high rx count. The hours are fine (12hour shifts), I get a stool in the evening to sit occasionally, and I wear compression socks since there are some days I'm running around all day. My main concern is third-hand smoking. I have a technician that goes on smoke breaks and I can directly smell it everywhere in the pharmacy when she gets back. She's an amazing tech and I was just wondering what would be the best solution for this. Any advice/comments/ thoughts would be great!

Many Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Employees shouldn’t be smelling like smoke at work, is there a company policy on this?

Reactions: 2 users
Pull the nausea card and guilt them a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok... What bothers you about the smell? Is it because you are worried it will expose the baby to harm and/or birth defects? Or, is it because the smell drives you nuts?

If it’s because you are worried about the health implications - I would remind you that it is just a smell.. I would venture to guess that your exposure to harmful toxins is so very low that it is not even worth mentioning.

If it is the smell then you would just have to let the tech know. However it is important to remember that this technician has as much right to work there as you do, regardless of the fact that she chooses to smoke.

Otherwise - I am super impressed with your choice to work in a retail pharmacy while pregnant. We have had 5 children and I can’t imagine my wife hustling around in a busy retail while pregnant. You must be very strong.

Pharmacy used to be a great career for moms and having the ability to stop your career and resume later. As all of us are aware that is no longer the case. I can remember when this was big selling point by the pharmacy professional groups and their omniscient prowess.

I don't think your going to be able to do much as I have seen this played out with other folks. As long as they smoke on their break and are not in uniform then I don't know of any policy they are breaking. You might complain and go out on FMLA and come back to find yourself at another store. I guess it all boils down to what your willing to risk.

I do respect you doing retail while pregnant. Many salutes.

Ok... What bothers you about the smell? Is it because you are worried it will expose the baby to harm and/or birth defects? Or, is it because the smell drives you nuts?

If it’s because you are worried about the health implications - I would remind you that it is just a smell.. I would venture to guess that your exposure to harmful toxins is so very low that it is not even worth mentioning.

If it is the smell then you would just have to let the tech know. However it is important to remember that this technician has as much right to work there as you do, regardless of the fact that she chooses to smoke.

Otherwise - I am super impressed with your choice to work in a retail pharmacy while pregnant. We have had 5 children and I can’t imagine my wife hustling around in a busy retail while pregnant. You must be very strong.
Third hand smoke is not just a smell. I am not sure how good the research has gotten but a quick google turns up this article from 2011 - 'Thirdhand smoke' poses danger to unborn babies' lungs, study finds

Anecdotally, Third hand smoke can definitely be an asthma trigger.

Honestly, my main concern is health of the baby, new studies are showing that third hand smoking can lead to medical issues, especially during early pregnancy. I do need to look more into it. I agree that the tech has equal rights in terms of working at the pharmacy. I simply want to resolve this very amicably.

And thanks a lot, I hope I can hold up in retail thru this pregnancy! Fingers crossed! =)

Most employers already would have said something about an employee who smells heavily of smoke (and it tells me they are a careless smoker, I have worked with smokers that I would never have known smoked if they hadn't told me, because they are very careful about not getting the smoke on their clothes or hair.) If your employer already doesn't care, they probably won't start caring just because you say something. Still if you think your employer is at all approachable, I would say something.

Is she washing her hands upon returning? That should reduce smoke smell.

People that smoke in 2020.... oh lord.

Ask her if she's ever heard of vaping? I kid, but simply talking to her might be the first step

Pull the nausea card and guilt them a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
In other words- throw up on them. A lesson they'll always remember....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Hey Guys,

As the title states, I'm pregnant and currently work for a chain pharmacy. Not gonna complain about the hours/tech help/high rx count. The hours are fine (12hour shifts), I get a stool in the evening to sit occasionally, and I wear compression socks since there are some days I'm running around all day. My main concern is third-hand smoking. I have a technician that goes on smoke breaks and I can directly smell it everywhere in the pharmacy when she gets back. She's an amazing tech and I was just wondering what would be the best solution for this. Any advice/comments/ thoughts would be great!

Many Thanks!
That is a big no no at cvs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Give her a body spray gift that she can use after smoking.
A win-win for both of you.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
That is a big no no at cvs.
What is the no-no? Being pregnant? Yeah god knows you can't have any sort of personal/ family life when you work for Satan. LOL That environment is enough to make a parent eat their offspring....

Google Saturn devouring his son. Probably hanging in Larry's office.

• Haha
What is the no-no? Being pregnant? Yeah god knows you can't have any sort of personal/ family life when you work for Satan. LOL That environment is enough to make a parent eat their offspring....
I meant smoking. But CVS is the devil and they are hostile to pregnant women, old people, sick people, people with a backbone or self-esteem etc

Reactions: 3 users
I meant smoking. But CVS is the devil and they are hostile to pregnant women, old people, sick people, people with a backbone or self-esteem etc

I have a friend at the 3 letter whose DM got mad at her for going into labor earlier than planned. She went into labor the evening before a shift, had her husband call the scheduler and everything on the way to the hospital, etc. She got a text a couple days later from her DM saying next time give them more notice. No congrats or anything.

• Wow
Give her a body spray gift that she can use after smoking.
A win-win for both of you.
We have a tech who does this. She smells like cigarettes and baby powder. No thanks.:sick:

I feel for the pregnant ladies. We know third hand smoke is no good, but also pregnant noses are just so sensitive to bad smells

Hey Guys,

Many Thanks!
It is possible 3HS could permanently damage the developing fetus. For this reason I would suggest quiting your job to protect your child. I know if I had a child I would do my best to protect them. I don't know if it's possible to avoid this situation as the employee seems not to be breaking any laws. Good luck!

I have a friend at the 3 letter whose DM got mad at her for going into labor earlier than planned. She went into labor the evening before a shift, had her husband call the scheduler and everything on the way to the hospital, etc. She got a text a couple days later from her DM saying next time give them more notice. No congrats or anything.
I have heard many things and seen many things about Red Three Letter. Unfortunately not many positive things are among them. Although I still apply to their job postings, when I dream at night of my pharmacist job, I have to admit, it is not working at CEE VEEE ES. LANE ONE. LANE ONE.

Just tell them that customers have complained about smoke smell...

Get them to quit smoking. Everyone wins.

Realistically you have no move except to quit. Worked with a pregnant pharmacist when she gave birth the baby was so small I have seen puppies that are bigger. No joke.

Find an office job away from the general public.