Pharmacist Quirks

Started by phathead
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

phathead

Future World Drug Lord
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are some of the weird pharmacist quirks you guys work with?

One of ours insists on announcing 'Code Brown!' when he has to take a crap. Actually its a good warning because you know the bathroom will be a biohazard for at least an hour.

Another one insists on listening to his Willie Nelson CD at least once a day for some odd reason.
 
I work with a gun-toting Rush Limbaugh fan Republican. He brings in his blackberry and plugs it in to a speaker so he can listen to his daily Rush. Any time things get dull, I just bring up Obama and he spins right up!

I also work with a French woman who's really intelligent, but breaks out the magnifying glass for every visual check she does. Pretty much we tell all patients to just come back tomorrow when she's not working.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One of my pharmacists will hold the phone on his shoulder and act like hes on the phone so people can't bother him. Even if its not busy and he just wants to be bothered, he'll do it. It really makes things hard sometimes...

One time a patient was like, "Well he's obviously not talking to anybody on the phone"
 
We have a relief pharmacist that will just toss the bottle/box/tube in the plastic hanging bag with the leaflet folded so all info can be read by anyone close enough. I swear this pharmacist hasn't heard of HIPAA.
 
What are some of the weird pharmacist quirks you guys work with?

One of ours insists on announcing 'Code Brown!' when he has to take a crap.


mines says "I'm off to drop the Cosby kids off"

🙁
 
I worked with a 35-year-old pharmacist who always consulted me for relationship advices with his wife.
 
I've heard stories about some pharmacists that have worked at my store..

1) One guy would go out to the parking lot at lunch, recline in the bed of his truck, minus his clothes. I guess he was tanning? I don't know if it was pants too, but definitely shirt

2)At closing time, one pharmacist was found to have stuffed herself in the cabinet under the sink and was eating her lunch...
 
A patient came in complaining that his CII drugs was miscounted. This time, the pharmacist let him count instead. He ran off with the drugs. Go figure.
 
Liberals are the minority in my department. Even though we are not supposed to talk politics, it happens on a daily basis. Of course, it seems most people are ok with it otherwise we would have heard from HR already. Nobody is offensive, but everyone makes their opinion known. Rush Limbaugh is a favorite radio show. NPR is a close second. As a moderate, I agree with everyone at least half of the time so it is somewhat entertaining. On occasion, I "stir the pot" by bringing up something like illegal immigration (a favorite hot topic here in AZ) or healthcare reform. Other than that, it is sports, sports, sports.

As for specific pharmacist quirks, there is one pharmacist who can never seem to get to work on time (EVER!) and it is the ongoing joke. We were joking that we should call her husband and have him set all the clocks ahead one hour...even so, I doubt she would make it LOL
 
Where I work , if someone comes in with a prescription and did not actually phone in, we're suppose to drop whatever we're doing and fill that prescription as soon as possible. We call these customers "waiters". My pharmacist stresses on not making the customer wait, so we usually get the prescription out in 5-10 mins. This only applies if the customer does not have an insane amount of prescriptions to be filled.
 
where i work , if someone comes in with a prescription and did not actually phone in, we're suppose to drop whatever we're doing and fill that prescription as soon as possible. We call these customers "waiters". My pharmacist stresses on not making the customer wait, so we usually get the prescription out in 5-10 mins. This only applies if the customer does not have an insane amount of prescriptions to be filled.

cvs?
 
no i work at a independent pharmacy. It's an asian pharmacy but its relatively new. It is only about 3-5 years.

i also work at another independent as well but that's another story. :]
 
Last edited:
no i work in a independent pharmacy. It's an asian pharmacy but its relatively new. It is only about 3-5 years.

i also work at another independent as well but that's another story. :]

My pharmacy does the same thing! It's kinda funny because we're all scrambling to finish as quickly as we can, I'd end up getting a little workout. I love my job, everyday is interesting. We saw a hawk kill a bird right in front of the store last week. This is a bit off-topic...:laugh:.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad