Pharmacist salary after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Back in 1990...
In [southern California], union pharmacists earned $13.25 an hour in 1980 compared to $25.50 today. That’s pretty good, considering that their pay hike was nearly 42% greater than inflation during that period.

It is particularly impressive when compared to the average worker, whose real income (after adjusting for inflation) has dropped about 10% since 1980.

$53,040 in 1990 USD ($25.50/hr at 2080 hrs) would be equivalent to about $106,520 today
 
I’m earning somewhere between $65 and $70 per hour. And I know I’m making more than many in my state. It sounds great until you realize you could work less and make more with less than a four year degree as a travel RN. Like somebody else posted above, I didn’t anticipate the stress levels and the erratic hours involved in pharmacy life. I would likely have been happier and better compensated after medical school. Pharmacy was a poor and short-sighted decision on my part.

Also note: my worksite has lost a couple of new grads over the past few years when they failed their boards more than one time. So there is always the possibility you could graduate as a PharmD, only to wind up not able to work as a pharmacist.
 
Am I the only one here who prefers to work less than 40 hrs a week?

I loved it when I was staff and I had 32 hrs, that extra off day makes a huge difference.. especially in retail. Spend that time to invest in yourself, spend time with family and in the long run it’s gonna be infinitely better than the $500 you made that day
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Am I the only one here who prefers to work less than 40 hrs a week?

I loved it when I was staff and I had 32 hrs, that extra off day makes a huge difference.. especially in retail. Spend that time to invest in yourself, spend time with family and in the long run it’s gonna be infinitely better than the $500 you made that day
Loved my schedule but not the paycheck. Maybe it would have been different if I didn't have student loans. I'm much happier now with my guaranteed 40.
 
Am I the only one here who prefers to work less than 40 hrs a week?

I loved it when I was staff and I had 32 hrs, that extra off day makes a huge difference.. especially in retail. Spend that time to invest in yourself, spend time with family and in the long run it’s gonna be infinitely better than the $500 you made that day
I would love to. I just can’t yet.